Media Extenders and Advanced Format Drives - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-04-09, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Media Extenders and Advanced Format Drives

Originally Posted by Jake View Post

General Info:
• We have temporarily blocked USB mounting of Advanced Format (4k sector) HDD greater than 2TBs.
I'm not familiar enough with computer-speak, does it mean I can't use NTFS formatted (say) 4TB HDD?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-04-09, 09:03 AM
David I believe you can still format these drives normally (512K). I don't have any but recall reading about advance format. WD drives have/had a jumper to enable it as well. But if you are using XP, older Mac or *nix it is not supported natively.

Since media files are usually large files there is a potential for reduced overhead. But I admit I don't know all the details .... yet.

It sounds complicated for an average Joe.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2011-04-09, 09:51 PM
Essentially they are using 4Kb sectors instead of the current 512 byte sectors. Long story short, with higher capacity drives, the storage system needs to be more efficient as they storage medium becomes more dense. This density is required for the large capacities. Problem with older OSes (as Jake pointed out) is that they don't properly align the sectors, causing huge performance decreases.

Check out Can't say if they are working on a fix for it in a future firmware, but for everyone that connects local storage, I hope they do! So for now, no large drive support. It might have something to do with accessing not supporting GUID partition tables also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.