Calgary OTA problems in windows media center 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up Calgary OTA problems in windows media center 7

Hi,

I just want to confirm the settings when adding CBRT to windows media center. According to http://www.user.dccnet.com/jonleblan...ations/AB.html, I used channel = 9-1 with frequency 21. When I change to that channel, there is a blue screen with "Service is unavailable". Is there a problem with transmission or am I using the wrong settings?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 02:11 PM
Veteran

I just channel scanned for CBC in Windows Media Center and it came up right away.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Is CBRT switching on and off their transmission currently? Yes j0dest3r when you posted, it was working for me too so my settings must be correct. The signal seems to come and go for me. When I check the signal strength, I get all other channels with full green boxes. CBRT shows with one red box. I am in central Calgary with the antenna in the attic so I would hope it is not a reception problem. Is CBRT significantly less transmission power?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-04-03, 02:20 PM

Yes, CBRT is temporarily using a very low-power transmitter (1.5kW).
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-04-03, 04:43 PM

csclgry: what type of antenna are you using? I Get CBC DT out here in Strathmore with a strong signal,and haven't noticed any cut outs as you mentioned. Even with their low power you should be getting it, especially when I get it and I'm 35 + miles from transmitters.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-04-04, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

The antenna that I am using looks very similar to the one on this web page, http://dmikula.wordpress.com/2009/02...s-free-its-me/ . I pick up the other three channels perfectly. I get better reception with the home made antenna than the amplified one that I bought (Monoprice part #4730).

CBC is now coming in better now but sometimes it takes a bit longer to connect when changing channels. I think the extra time is because media center is searching on the other tuner on my Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner card because it cannot initially lock in with the first tuner because of a weak signal. Does anybody know when CBC will increase their power?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.