Would AMD Media Codec Package (Avivo) help with picture quality? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2011-04-01, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Would AMD Media Codec Package (Avivo) help with picture quality?

I currently have the Sapphire 5670 HD in my HTPC. I have installed the Catalyst software (11.2) and drivers from the AMD site. There is an optional download for AMD Media Codec Package. Would this be useful when playing dvd VIDEO_TS files and HD TV from within Windows 7 Media Center?
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2011-04-01, 01:38 PM
I've been told that it is just a repackaged version of the Cyberlink codec.

Windows 7 comes with a MPEG-2 decoder, so unless that is failing to meet your needs in some way, I'm not sure how another MPEG-2 codec will help.

I'll install that thing on one of my PCs that have a ATI card and see what it is/does.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 11:04 AM
Avivo codecs are hardware acceleration friendly. So if for whatever reason, your current codecs arent using the GPU decode features, the AVIVO ones should force it.
I.e. on a slower computer, decoding 1080-MPEG2 material takes a lot of CPU when your GPU is more than capable? AVIVO should enable hardware acceleration and free up the CPU during that process.

That being said, it shouldn't affect PQ much. If you're having issues, use the CCC and adjust the options on the video page
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2011-04-02, 11:16 AM
DVDs will look blurred due to the low resolution of the DVD format (720x480.) Depending on the source, HDTV will often have the same problem. The only easily obtainable source that will take full advantage of a Sapphire 5670 HD and a 1920x1080 monitor or HDTV is Blu-ray.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.