SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR3 Now Available - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR3 Now Available

I just noticed while browsing around an online retailer that the next-gen SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR3 networked tuner is now available for order.

Only one retailer seems to have it for now. I'm waiting for the go-ahead from a mod before I post a link to the retailer. Otherwise, feel free to PM me.

Some features with the HDHR3 are:
- Dual-tuner
- Single input
- Internal zero-loss active splitter
- Uses two MaxLinear 1GHz tuners based on latest Trident demodulators
- New, smaller design

Product page: http://www.silicondust.com/products/models/hdhr3-us/
Product flyer: http://www.silicondust.com/images/hd..._WEB_flyer.pdf

Already ordered one to replace my current second generation model. Hopefully the newer tuners in this model will help with some weaker signals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 08:01 AM
Veteran

Well that's a shame.
Was lookin at the PDF from their website, and it looks like it says "dual tuner", but the rear panel only has 1 F-Connector input.
So it sounds like an either / or, CATV / Antenna In.
Would be more flexible for the end user had they left out the "active zero loss internal splitter" (even cheaper?), and provided two seperate
coax inputs like the old one.
Guess I shoulda got one when I had the chance, cause by now they've probably stopped making the older ones, so they can sell these. oh well.
post #3 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 10:56 AM

Majortom:
Personally, I'm very interested in the new device as my needs are different from yours. I want a pure ATSC tuner with the highest possible sensitivity. The single input and internal splitter help me with that.
PM me if you are interested in a swap, because I'm very much considering upgrading my current HDHR.

Pete

post #4 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Same here Pete.

We're currently in the process of completely cutting our cable service and are moving entirely OTA. So personally I'm looking for the best possible performance and reception possible.
post #5 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 02:21 PM
Veteran

I too may be looking to upgrade my existing HDHR as well for the same reason as pnear. I think I'll wait to see what the signal is like from CBC, CTV and Global (once those signals become available to me in Edmonton). If I remember correctly, the 2-way splitter that I'm using costs me 3db of signal strength.
post #6 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
I too may be looking to upgrade my existing HDHR as well for the same reason as pnear. I think I'll wait to see what the signal is like from CBC, CTV and Global (once those signals become available to me in Edmonton). If I remember correctly, the 2-way splitter that I'm using costs me 3db of signal strength.
3.5db to be exact. It's the .5 that makes the difference
post #7 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 05:24 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
So it sounds like an either / or, CATV / Antenna In.
For most Canadians this is better since most of our cable cos encrypt all of the channels so QAM doesn't contain anything useful - the last time I looked on Rogers all we got was music channels. Some people might have used two antennas aimed in different directions connected to the two ports, but you could always combine the antenna signals into one feed which would be a better solution anyhow.

There is always eBay to buy the old ones.
post #8 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 07:11 PM
Veteran

Quote:
For most Canadians this is better since most of our cable cos encrypt all of the channels so QAM doesn't contain anything useful
No question, good for Canadians, and if the performance is truly improved
significantly, that will help u Canadians even more, since for the most part ur way more limited in terms of density of digital OTA stations in HD, etc.
post #9 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 07:55 PM
Veteran

I'd be interested in an upgrade (pending price, lol), but I'm going to wait for the summer switchover to see how well the 2G one works with the new frequencies and ERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithLysol View Post
If I remember correctly, the 2-way splitter that I'm using costs me 3db of signal strength.
Signal STRENGTH doesn't mean much to a digital tuner. It's signal QUALITY that's more important. With the nature of the HDHR, placing it right near the antenna with a splitter and 6" cables directly to it, you're getting a negligible difference between the single feed from the antenna and the split outputs.

If you don't believe me and have two PC tuners, try it yourself.
The SNR is the important part, not the absolute strength of the signal.
post #10 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by recneps77
Signal STRENGTH doesn't mean much to a digital tuner. It's signal QUALITY that's more important.
I understand that signal quality is important, but if signal strength doesn't mean much why do people use amplifiers? Also, from the HDHomeRun documentation:

Quote:
Check that the signal strength is above 60% minimum (75% recommended).
I'm not an expert, but if this doesn't matter, why do people make such a big deal about tuner sensitivity, and complain that the older HDHomerun tuners aren't as sensitive as some other alternatives?
post #11 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 09:02 PM
Veteran

You use an amplifier to combat noise inserted by the cable
You increase the signal and the cable increases the noise.
Ideally, you're keeping the signal at a high enough level that noise doesn't take over and reduce the overall signal-to-noise ratio.

With a splitter, you're cutting signal strength AND noise equally, maintaining the SNR.

Since the HDHR is often placed right near the antenna, cable losses are minimal and amps are generally not needed.

Of course you need to remain above a certain minimum signal strength, but if you're that close to the threshold already, you have bigger problems with that channel (i.e. the slightest weather disruptions will probably knock it out)

Sensitivity does not equate to signal strength. Sensitivity is the ability to distinguish signal from noise - no matter the volume.
If you take an AM/FM radio with borderline reception, does making it louder improve the sound? Does a quieter volume decrease quality of sound (to your ear)?
If you could somehow make your ear/brain more sensitive, you could distinguish more music/voice from that same radio than someone else whose ear/brain were not as sensitive.
It has little to do with volume. Thats what we mean by a more sensitive tuner.
If you take a 5th gen ATSC and 6th gen and put them side by side with an equal source, you'll find the 6th gen can pick up more channels (or pick up existing ones better)
They're receiving the same strength of signal, and same ratio of noise and signal, but one is able to better identify what is 'good' and what is 'bad'.
post #12 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-04, 09:14 PM
Veteran

recneps77, thanks for your informative post.
post #13 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-06, 02:22 AM
Veteran

I don't understand why they can say Dual Internal Digital Tuners but only have one Coax In?
post #14 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-06, 10:17 AM
Veteran

They can because the signal is internally split.
post #15 of 118 (permalink) Old 2011-03-06, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

It's the same as any cable or satellite PVR. One input, two tuners.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.