Feel Cheated By Blu-ray - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Feel Cheated By Blu-ray

I bought a BD writer for my HTPC.
But, the included software was crippled and would only deliver stereo sound.

I bought BD software.
But, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-D was crippled because my HTPC doesn't have a protected audio path. So the audio is downsampled.

I bought some Blu-rays.
But they all have a warning that they might not play on older players. And one didn't and had to be returned.

I bought Windows 7 Media Center
But none of the fancy popup menus, or BD live features work with a standard MCE remote control or even with a mouse.

So, I'm a little disappointed with the format.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 02:01 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

The problem is not the BD format at all. You are being prevented from watching the movie in its proper format not by the BD format but by the content deliverers. I think you should be complaining to the makers of the apps and OSes, not about what is an excellent format. The fact is, the movie industry has decided that people using Windows to watch BD movies are to be cheated of the full experience since they are of course all pirates, don't you know. Not only have they killed your joy, but they've also rigged a law (DMCA) that criminalizes any attempt to watch the full BD experience on a computer. There you have it, evil, conniving, thief consumer.

So, the BD format is to blame for that how?
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 06:54 AM
Veteran

I blame Sony ... and, of course, Warner Brothers

More seriously, though, does Sony have s/w players (for their Vaio laptops) that works better? If you have a buddy with one, maybe you could borrow his CD.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-18, 07:42 AM
Member #1

Michael, I agree. Blu-ray has been a disappointment in many ways

I would like to playback Blu-ray video on my tv via hdmi and monitor via dvi but can't do it because of HDCP.

I especially hate the massive load times much of which is the FBI warnings, commercials etc that can mean upwards of 5 or 10 minutes to start a movie.

I love the Quality when it gets rolling but the restrictions and problems certainly temper my positive attitude.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-25, 07:42 AM

I purchased a Bluray player (Sony) for my mother at Christmas. Popped in Avatar and it needed a USB stick to play the movie. Not a nice Christmas gift message when the stores are closed. These type of restrictions encourage ripping instead of making it easy to play a Bluray disk. I took the Bluray player back - too complicated for a 75 year old to figure out.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Why did it need a USB stick? You should not need it for simple playback, but maybe for BD Live features? Or is it a USB wireless adapter? In either case, you should not need it for simple playback.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 12:37 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Yes, it is for BD Live storage space so that the manufacturer does not have to build in a chunk of RAM into every box. As far as I know that machine would have worked fine without a USB stick by de-selecting BD Live in the menu system but I could be wrong about that. Can someone confirm/deny that?
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 12:39 PM

I sort of agree with Michael's sentiment but it's not surprising. When you consider that it took several years for DVD playback on an HTPC to really get to a seamless, high-quality experience I was expecting BluRay to be a mess.

I avoided putting a BD drive in my HTPC for a while and only did so last year. Even with that, the early S/W was simply not good.

After a couple of attempts I am now using Arcsoft's TMT. So far it has played all the BDs I have without issue. As an added bonus it also plays my HD-DVD collection with my Xbox 360 external drive connected by USB.

My receiver isn't HD audio enabled so I use the downsample to DTS feature of Arcsoft and have been quite happy with that.

Android rocks!
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 03:00 PM
Veteran

I certainly don't feel cheated by Blu-ray. I get a better picture and sound for the same rental price. I feel cheated by inadequate PC software for playback. Spending $100 for a BD drive and another $100 for software, only to find that the software is crap doesn't sit well. Commercial DVD/BD software players are way overpriced in the first place.

Quote:
warning that they might not play on older players.
As anyone who has been through this before knows, early adopters often get stuck with expensive, obsolete hardware. I've done that twice too often.

Quote:
the included software was crippled
It almost always is, whether it's BD software or something else. I've yet to see a full, up to date version of any software bundled with a piece of hardware. I've got a dozen or more copies of <your software choice here> LITE that requires an upgrade to become fully functional.

Quote:
Windows 7 Media Center... none of the fancy popup menus, or BD live features work...
Why is this a fault of Blu-ray? MS has stated publicly that they won't support Blu-ray in Windows 7 so there should be no surprise there. I expect that might change when MS gets better licensing terms from the Blu-ray licensing group.

The real problem is that there is too little support for Blu-ray from third parties. That may be due, in part, to overly strict licensing terms. It does not differ that much from the requirements for licensing DVD or DRM'd music software or hardware. It's just that the Blu-ray market is less mature.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 03:55 PM
Veteran

Most people I know who are serious about HTPCs use AnyDVD HD to improve the Blu-ray user experience.

While I do have a HTPC with a Blu-ray drive, I find myself using streaming video much more often. Both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were correct when they made statements that Blu-ray isn't interesting and that the future of video is streaming/digital delivery.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 04:08 PM
Veteran

I've seen how AnyDVD and the latest version of XBMC work together. It's not 100% yet but quite impressive. If the Blu-ray group was less restrictive with its licensing, there would be better options available.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-26, 04:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Can someone confirm/deny that?
I can't say about Sony, but my Samsung had the same thing. If I wanted to use the BD live stuff, I had to plug in a USB flash drive. I currently have a 1 GB one plugged in, but certainly had no problems watching movies without it.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-01-27, 07:41 AM

I have been using my HTPC to view all my movies ... DVD, HD DVD and Blu Ray. I am extremely happy with my setup

Hardware
Core2Duo @ 3.2gHz
2GB Ram
40GB SSD
LG BluRay/ HD DVD drive
ATI 5670 Video

Software
Win 7 HomePrem 64-bit
ArcSoft TMT 3 (soon will be 5)
AnyDVDHD
MediaBrowser in MediaCenter for all my ripped movies. This is excellent software for presenting your movie ISO rips

Server has 16TB ... almost filled with BluRay rips (and I own every one)

Since I have a Protected Path Audio, my Pioneer receiver receives an unaltered bitstream from TMT. I very often see 192K 22 bit DTS-MA streams. Sound and video quality excellent. Better than my Samsung Blu Ray player.

So it can be done ... all though for a much higher price than a blu ray player.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-03-18, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

DTS-HD (Useless) Audio

Road House for $8.00 at Wal-Mart. Once again, cheated by Blu-ray. I was really looking forward to rockin' out with Jeff Healey and the boys only to discover that the rear channels were a full 1/4 to 1/2 seconds out of sync. The sound was a jumbled mess. Fortunately they included a DVD as backup. Not only did it have decent Dolby Digital 5.1, but all of the special features they were too cheap to put on the BD.

This is a mature technology?

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-03-18, 12:30 PM
Veteran

It seems that to fully integrate BD content you need to use AnyDVDHD to break the DRM locks.Hollywood seems to be really pushing people to use pirated content, just like the music industry before them.
Jishan likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.