Feel Cheated By Blu-ray - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 09:49 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDilbert
Most film is 24fps so it makes little difference for that content.
TV content is typically shot at much higher frame rates, and also a pretty high resolution. For example, House of Cards is apparently shot using a RED EPIC DRAGON (which, apparently, doesn't support lower case), at "6k" resolution, at 120fps.

My understanding is that RED cameras are very popular with creators, and I imagine content producers would want to make master versions of their content in as high resolution and frame rate as possible.

Looking at the few places that still sell plastic discs, it seems to me that there are more "TV content hours" worth of content vs movie content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-06, 10:37 AM
dgm
Premium Supporter

Thank you for the excellent information and discussion. I never did get 24fps as a "feature".
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-06, 11:14 AM

24fps is a "feature" for people who want to preserve the look of film.

Android rocks!

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-06, 12:14 PM
Veteran

I appreciate that modern films and high end TV features will be shot at much higher resolution. It's quite evident, even at standard HD resolutions, that House of Cards benefits from much higher production values than most TV content. There is at least one TV series on now that looks like it was shout in wide screen SD, maybe on purpose. I was just pointing out that a lot of material will not suffer any degradation on BD. It's obvious that the opposite is true and I also pointed that out.

The last I heard, some movie theaters were using 1920x1080p for digital projection. I'm sure that has been improved upon for many venues but there's still no guarantee that a movie theater will be any better than a BD. In the end, costs and legacy considerations will guarantee that new, high end technology will be held back for some time.
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-06, 11:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
24fps is a "feature" for people who want to preserve the look of film.
Well, low-quality film. The reason why 24fps was selected was because back in the day, film was expensive. 24fps is where the frame rate just barely crossed over from "unbearable" to "bearable".
post #51 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-07, 07:00 AM
Veteran

^^^^
Even at that it was necessary to run the shutter at 48 f/s, so that each frame was projected twice. However, video at a rate that matches the source tends to look better.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
post #52 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-22, 01:18 AM

Wayne is absolutely correct. Really pushing people to use pirated contents. Closely like the music industry. And now, see the result, the music industry has gone to the wrong people. And now their very very few good artist left in Music
post #53 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-24, 06:15 PM
Veteran

I wouldn't go that far. I'd say that it's just pushing people to use streaming services. Not everyone will respond by using bittorrent, many will just be happy with Netflix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.