Feel Cheated By Blu-ray - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 2012-03-07, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

BD Live

BD Live

Downloaded 5-6 minutes of previews and blocked access to the top menu or pop-up menu.

Went into the Windows Firewall and blocked all in-coming and out-going traffic for the CyberLink PowerDVD player. Unfortunately this doesn't stop the MCE plug-in.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Seriously? Download a Code to Watch Independence Day.

I thought I had made my peace with Blu-ray. I'd gotten used to starting a Blu-ray 10 minutes before I intended to watch it, just to avoid all the UOP content. I've almost stopped being offended by three federal departments accusing me of theft and terrorism. I still produce my notarized undertaking not to be offended by the commentary track. I kind of actually enjoy the cosmopolitan achievement of reading the Interpol warning in every known language.

However, Independence Day: Resurgence takes DRM to a whole new level. Because my Blu-ray player doesn't have an Internet connection, I had to enter a 20-digit alphanumeric code. RCDZ-59DT-UDNJ-X410-W25D

Codes are available from the hilariously named PlayMyBluray website or twitter feed (1399 tweets, 24 followers). Hilarious, because at this point I'm pretty sure it is their Bluray, not mine. Or you call their toll-free customer support or text (data rates apply).

It's no surprise this is from 20th Century Fox. Their badly coded javascript menus will always peg one of my dual core CPUs at 100% usage. Personally I hope this format dies hard, then dies harder, so that I can finally live free to have a good day to watch it die hard again with a vengeance.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 10:25 AM

Wait, what?
To play it locally... you need to enter a CODE? Jeez.

Generally, the ones i have got recently are pretty good at being able to skip stuff and get to the menu, etc to play.

But that would be a deal breaker for me.

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.

post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 11:15 AM
Veteran

Ultra HD Blu-ray is DOA.

It's telling that Sony, the founder of the Blu-ray format, didn't think it was worth including a 4K Blu-ray player in its 4K-capable console (PS4 Pro). The rationale from Sony? That physical formats are dead, everyone streams movies now.

And they're right!

My suggestion: don't encourage movie studios by buying their plastic discs with DRM on them. If possible, you could return your Blu-ray disc to the store and tell them that their DRM didn't work for you. Make DRM cost them something; make them eat the cost of the return!
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 01:36 PM
DHC Supporter

Audacity, what about those of us who don't trust having our purchases in the "ether"? I buy most of my music on disc and as little as possible on itunes just waiting for the day that hacking or some other failure "wipes" my purchases and I get the standard "sucks to be you" response...

sorry to go a bit off topic...
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-02, 10:58 PM
Veteran

Meh.

1. Like most people, I typically don't watch the same movie again and again, so it's usually a better deal to rent than buy.

2. The value for the dollar is so much better for streaming (vs buying), that I don't mind that I don't have it forever. I'm sure I'll be able to stream it again in the future if I want to.
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-03, 10:44 AM
Veteran

No high end audio options; Dolby TrueHD, DTS MA, Dolby ATMOS or DTS:X from streaming services yet. I won't argue that streaming is the future but if you want to maximize your listening and viewing pleasure today, disc is still king!

Now, I stream a lot as well but I just purchased a Panasonic 4k Bluray player and will enjoy the few disks I watch but I also resent all the advertising and warnings they force you watch. Talk about biting the hand that feeds them!

-Mike

Sony XBR65X930D | Denon AVR-X1300W | BELL 9400 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 4K | XBOX One S
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-03, 11:14 AM
DHC Supporter

Audacity. while I personally agree with you regarding movies, my comment was directed at the suggestion that physical formats are dead. I literally have $1000's invested in Vinyl, CD, Dvd and Blu-Ray music and I'm sure there are people who likewise have oodles of money invested in movies on physical media.
To unilaterally declare physical media is dead may just alienate enough people to hasten the demise of Sony and the like.
I would not for a minute consider investing the money I have spent on music on a promise that my purchases would be protected in cyberspace.
But yet I buy e-books like crazy...
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-04, 04:48 PM

There's no rule that says you must go one way or the other. You can have thousands of physical disc based movies and continue to watch them regularly, but also not purchase more in that format. I haven't bought a blu-ray in years now, but that doesn't mean I'm throwing away the ones I have and like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpv View Post
Audacity, what about those of us who don't trust having our purchases in the "ether"? I buy most of my music on disc and as little as possible on itunes just waiting for the day that hacking or some other failure "wipes" my purchases and I get the standard "sucks to be you" response...
You think Apple would respond that way? I very much doubt that. But that's just another justification for subscription services, especially for music, which are so comprehensive. Or, you could back up your iTunes purchases to your own storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audacity View Post
Meh.

1. Like most people, I typically don't watch the same movie again and again, so it's usually a better deal to rent than buy.

2. The value for the dollar is so much better for streaming (vs buying), that I don't mind that I don't have it forever. I'm sure I'll be able to stream it again in the future if I want to.
I'd also add that I don't want to have all my purchased movies forever. I bought so many DVDs, and when everything migrated to HD, I had little interest in watching them anymore. The same will inevitably happen to my blu-rays when 4K takes off. I'm not going to want to be streaming the same 1080p version years from now.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-04, 07:55 PM
Veteran

That's the problem with physical media. It's only good until the playback devices stop working and can no longer be repaired or replaced. By then, the movies will be on Netflix or some other service and probably in a better format. I went through that with multiple formats for both music and movies, never mind a small fortune in software. I decided a number of years ago to only rent movies or subscribe to movie channels or services.

I never have and probably never will buy a BD movie. Have a few DVDs but rarely watch any of them. I always hated that format because of the terrible menu system and the way they force messages and promotional content on viewers. I hate BDs even more. I prefer to play DVDs on a HTPC in order to skip the garbage.

BD players for the PC have largely disappeared due to new copy protection schemes that are costly and difficult to support. Both of the software players I had, and paid over $100 for, have been taken off the market and are no longer supported. Got to play maybe a dozen rented BDs on those. Soon after that the DVD and BD rental companies closed. That guarantees I will never buy a BD disc since I no longer have a BD player. I appreciate the higher definition and improved sound on BDs but DVD quality is good enough for most movies. The rest can wait for UHD streaming.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 09:25 AM
dgm
Premium Supporter

Got to love NETFLIX. Just finished The Crown in 4K. Dolby 5.1 may not be the greatest but it is pretty good.

Streaming hiccuped once during the series.

And just downloaded the first NETFLIX show to watch on the iPad on the move. BluRay has a lot of catching up to do.
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 10:26 AM

There will always be a mixed opinions on this.

I personally use ALL of them... both streaming and bluray.
I like streaming for its convenience.. can stream anywhere i have access to the service, dont have to tote the disks around, etc.

BUT

I also dont always have access to service (or its too expensive). I have a 40" TV in my trailer. I want to watch movies while away on a cold rainy night. No way in heck am i streaming that on cellular and eating my usage alive.
But i still want the quality. Bluray serves me better there.

Also may come down on to how much a stickler you are for quality.
Streaming, even in 4k, will almost ALWAYS be more compressed, than its bluray counterpart.
I have a full 1080p capable/supported netflix device. I have compared certain movies on there, then ran the same thing via the bluray i owned. While the 1080 netflix version is GOOD, the bluray still is clearer, more detail, etc.

Myself at least in our family, we do a fair bit of re-watching.
Renting, even on digital is not always the most economical.
Buying digital, is pricey, if its new. Overall, bluray combo is the best $$ value mostly. Often the digital download, is the same price as the combo pack. But then i get the digital and bluray (and a free DVD copy then too)

GDKitty
Rogers 9865, LG 47LV5400 LED TV, Onkyo HT-R690.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 11:36 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdkitty
Streaming, even in 4k, will almost ALWAYS be more compressed, than its bluray counterpart.
This is a pretty incredible claim, unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning.

If you mean that streaming in 4k streaming typically uses h.265 (aka HEVC) then yes, it's a more efficient encoding system which allows streaming video services to encode to get the same quality at a lower bitrate (at the cost of higher processor use for encoding/decoding).

But, I don't think that's what you mean. I suspect you mean "more compressed" in the same way that some people call MPEG-2 OTA TV signals "uncompressed". You mean that Blu-ray has fewer compression artifacts.

Personally, I think that Blu-ray makes poor use of bitrate.

Having better compression is a good thing. That means we get fewer compression artifacts. Blu-ray, the format, made bad choices if you like high quality video. If you don't want interlaced video and you want 1920x1080 resolution, then the best frame rate Blu-ray provides is 24fps. It can't do "HD" at a proper 60fps without interlacing the video, which produces horrible artifacts, which is like video compression from the 1950s.

As far as I'm aware, streaming video services haven't succumbed to the stupidity of using interlaced video formats. Video at 24fps is an example of a compression artifact. Lowering your frame rate is a method of compression, and unlike a 192+kbps MP3 (compared to a CD), 24fps video is extremely noticeable to humans, especially when the camera pans over a scene.

All the while, original Blu-ray formats burn a bunch of bitrate by not sufficiently compressing their audio. The video needed those extra bits, but the audio didn't because humans can't tell the difference between compressed and uncompressed audio. I mean, there are people who do claim to have a golden ear, but strangely those abilities suddenly disappear when proper blind A/B testing is performed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Video

You'll note that the new version of Blu-ray (UHD) does support its max resolution @60fps, but that's a recent development; and I'd argue it doesn't matter. Blu-ray UHD is a stillborn format.

I'll also add that, yes, some people say they prefer low frame rate movies; they enjoy that particular compression artifact. No doubt, they'd also enjoy the "snow" effect you get at the top and bottom of video recorded on VHS tapes, or the sound of a record player's needle bumping over a small scratch on a vinyl record. But that's just nostalgia talking. Personally I think nostalgia is like cocaine: it makes people say stupid things.

I imagine a couple decades from now we'll have a trend where people are swapping low-resolution videos. I imagine they'll say that video doesn't feel "real" if they can't "see the pixels"!
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 12:17 PM

I think gdkitty was trying to say that even for the same codec, BluRay will have a higher bitrate than streaming.

So even though the native frame rates and resolutions are the same BluRay will have less compression artifacts, assuming they are visible, because of the higher bit rate.

Android rocks!
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 2016-12-05, 02:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
the best frame rate Blu-ray provides is 24fps
Most film is 24fps so it makes little difference for that content.

Quote:
It can't do "HD" at a proper 60fps without interlacing the video
A lot of video is interlaced so it won't make much difference with that either.

Newer source material that is HD or UHD with progressive scan will suffer degradation on Blu-ray.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.