Feel Cheated By Blu-ray - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-03-18, 08:39 PM
Veteran

Don't Blame BD

I could list a whole range of "features" with BD that I personally don't like but frankly a lot of what I'm reading here are not BD problems at all. It has more to do with the inadequacies of your PC hardware/software. My question is was BD ever intended for PCs or was it assumed that it would be for stand alone players only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-03-19, 12:35 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

Michael DeAbreu, I haven't heard of a persistent format problem causing such audio sync problems across widespread BD disks, so I would say that you experienced a poor implementation of Road House in particular, not a technological problem with BD in general. It's kind of like condemning all LPs of the 1970s because Steely Dan's "Katy Lied" album had a studio glitch that ruined the sound, or all CDs because the early generation re-used the dynamic range mastering meant for LPs. Fair is fair.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

In my very small collection of 17 Blu-rays,
  • one was unplayable with PDVD10 or TMT3. But a different pressing worked flawlessly. (2001 A Space Odyssey)
  • the DTS-HD lossless track is unplayable with TMT3 and AnyDVD6. (Road House)
  • 2-3 titles flat out state that their menu systems do not work with a computer mouse.
  • and while not a defect, per se, many have inserts warning that they may not work with your BD player. Contact the manufacturer.

A 10% failure rate is a lot of problems for what should be a stable format. (I'm just very unlucky.) The audio sync might be a glitch. But like the other problems, I believe it is a direct consequence of the DRM restrictions built into the format which prohibit Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD from playing on PCs without protected audio paths. The forced down sampling sets up a situation where this type of problem becomes more likely.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 04:09 AM

As stated above, this has so much more to do with your system than anything to do with the Blu-ray format. I'm using ancient tech in both standalone players ( BD-P1400 ) and HTPC ( LG GGW-H20L ) and have had almost zero problems with either. I keep the 1400 up to date on firmware, and the LG has just given me no problems. Using AnyDVDHD to watch and burn both work equally as well, and I have a burned copy of Roadhouse with no audio sync issues.

For me the hardware has been a pleasant surprise. The LG is going on 3.5 years old and has burned over 150 discs and still going strong. I love the format.
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 07:35 AM

I have approx 150 BluRays titles that I have purchased and ripped to my server. I have zero problems playing them with the following hardware software. I have never had any audio sync problems with the setup below.

Intel e6600 OC'ed to 3.2 gHz (I know it is not needed)
Gigabyte 775 motherboard
AMD 5670 video card
2 GB ram
BluRay drive

Win 7 32 bit
TMN 3 and 5
AnyDVDHD
Virtual CloneDrive
Media Browser

I get FULL audio streams in any format to my receiver. The picture looks better that my Samsung BluRay player.

Instead of fighting DRM, just go with it. It is not going away and complaining about it will not help you solve your problems. Any 5000 servies video card with Win7, AnyDVDHD and TMN 3/5 will give you perfect results.
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-06-20, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

When did the laywers replace the engineers?

Downloaded the TMT 5 trial. Dolby TrueHD disabled at the request of Dolby Labs. Complete silence on the TrueHD track. The one feature that I'm most interested in is the one I can't test.

Fortunately, I missed this. An uprgade to pDVD10 stripped user's of the ability to playback BD folder rips. Apparently, the legality was in question so they disabled the feature, only to re-enable it it in pDVD11.

When did the lawyers replace the engineers? I remember a time when it was all about the best audio-video experience.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 09:25 AM
jem

The only BD I have had problems with is a disc of Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII live. This thing kills my HTPC, slows it to a crawl until I have to manually reboot. I have no idea what the problem is. However, other than this, I've had no other problems with BD discs, or ripped BD's. And if anyone has any idea what the problem is that BD I mentioned, I'd love to hear it. Now back to your regularly scheduled forum.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-06-22, 10:50 AM

I know the sentiment.

I built a HTPC a couple of years ago, had the combo HD DVD/Blu-ray player. The babying and maintenance, needed to make it almost play as easily as a cheap stand alone player led me to ditch it. If I was single and lived by myself, I may have continued for the hobby, tinkering interest in it but not as a mainstream solution for the family.

Panasonic TH-42PX60U, Harmony 670, Rogers HD 8300, 3250HD, Denon AVR-591, Chartwell SL3-5A, Venturer SHD-7000, Samsung 1600 BR.
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-07-05, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Why bother encrypting BD's?

When True Grit came out with a new copy protection scheme, AnyDVD and DVDFab released patches a few days later. Other than to annoy people, why do they bother? My guess is the license fees we pay. Who cares if the DRM is completely ineffectual. It seems stupid for us to pay the BD consortium to encrypt the discs, then pay someone else to decrypt them.

post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-07-05, 10:59 PM
Veteran

The brain trusts that run the studio figure that encryption will stop piracy. It might stop the casual movie copier but it will never stop piracy. There's too much money being made by the organized criminals who do large scale pirating. The 'war on piracy' is like the war on drugs, ineffectual as long as there is a demand and money to be made.

All the big studios are accomplishing is creating more sophisticated criminal pirating gangs and creating a bigger demand for an unencumbered product that is only available from criminal organizations. You would think that US lawmakers would have learned their lesson with prohibition. Still they continue to enact more laws, like the DMCA that makes criminals out of ordinary citizens and creates more organized criminals.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

I'll go further and suggest that they know full well that this type of DRM is completely useless, but it is a great revenue stream.

And, I'll go further still and suggest that "piracy" is non-issue. They know it, but perpetuate the myth so they can lobby for more stringent "technological measures" and justify expensive but ultimately useless DRM. Which of course we pay for everytime we see a AACS or BD+ logo on our discs, players and software.

post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 01:35 PM
Veteran

Most technology licencing has very little to do with DRM. Dolby, DTS, AAC, BD+, HDMI, etc, are simply technology standards for delivering and playing back content. There is no need for encryption with these standards. Encryption is simply another layer on top.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Sure, Blu-ray provides high quality video, but you still have the problems with physical media. Finding it, buying it, not damaging it. You have the problems with restrictive DRM; i.e. Mac users or tablet users are locked out of the party and need to circumvent the DRM (and break the law in some countries).

With the popularization of streaming video and all of the related "quality of life" features that come with it, I think the fate of Bly-ray has been sealed.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-07-06, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

AACS and BD+ and HDCP are proprietary encryption and content management DRM. Unecessary but not free.

The Advanced Access Content System (AACS) is a standard for content distribution and digital rights management. It is developed by AACS Licensing Administrator, LLC (AACS LA), a consortium that includes Disney, Intel, Microsoft, Panasonic, Warner Bros., IBM, Toshiba and Sony.

BD+ is a component of the Blu-ray Disc Digital Rights Management system. It was developed by Cryptography Research Inc. and is based on their Self-Protecting Digital Content concept.

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is a compact audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed digital data. Arguably, HDMI is just a wrapper for HDCP encryption and a host of handshaking problems documented in other threads.

The rest, VC-1, H.264, Dolby, DTS are the only licenses I care to pay for.

Perhaps another reason to keep the useless DRM (and other licensed technology) is to squeeze competitors out of the marketplace. Open standards open the field to small innovative companies. Android vs Symbian. Linux vs Windows. USB vs just about any other proprietary interconnect.

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 2011-09-11, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

X-men First Class Blu-ray Fiasco

The digital copy din't work with a 2 year old Mac Book Pro running OSX. It was read as a blank DVD.

The movie didn't play in powerDVD 10. A quick Google search reveals that the disc doesn't play on the PS3 or many Samsung players.

Cheated once again. I sincerely thank Future Shop who quickly issued a refund even though usual store policy is not to accept opened software. From now on, my policy will be not to accept any DRM'd piece of crap that doesn't play.

WARNING

Your Blu-ray Player requires an update in order to play this disc.
The manufacturer of your Blu-ray Player recommends that you go to the website below to obtain the latest update available. please go to this website and follow the manufacturer's instructions to update your Blu-ray Player
http://cyberlink.com/BDUpdate

For additional information on Blu-ray Player updates please visit the Blu-ray Update Website at
http;//blu-raydisc.com/forBestResults

Twentieth Centuryt Fox is not responsible for the content or practices of manufacturers' websites. Each manufacturer controls and is responsible for its own website.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.