Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR - Page 6 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #76 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-03-19, 07:21 PM

I have two 950q, three 1600's, a 2250, and a colossus working on a htpc using mediaportal.

I haven't had any driver issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-04-18, 09:27 PM

Can anyone help me out with Firestb and windows media center??

I have the following:
Hauppauge colossus
SA 3250HD
Windows 7

Connected via Firewire i have installed all the drivers and i am able to change the channels via the channel.exe command prompt but when i load up windows MCE i am not able to change the channels.

What i do get is i can change the channel in command prompt then hit the up or down channel button in MCE and it will send the command for channel 1.
I am not sure what i have wrong maybe the wrong arguments ?
post #78 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-04-19, 06:08 PM

Have you installed the special Media Center Hauppauge package for the Colossus? If you have then there will be a Hauppauge configuration tool/program. In it, you can specify the path to the firestb exe, and also specify the arguments to be passed.

Rules of the Forum | DHC Help Desk
DHC now supports Tapatalk for mobile devices!
post #79 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 10:41 AM

I have been considering adding Colossus to my HTPC. The issue I have is distance. The computer sits about 25' away from the Rogers digital box. Running longer component cable is not an issue, but what would I do with the IR blaster requirement?
post #80 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 10:56 AM
Veteran

IR should be pretty easy - you can even use the unused pair from your phone wiring. I do this to get an IR signal from my HA controller in my basement to my bedroom on the second floor to control my window blinds.
post #81 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 11:54 AM

So, just making the IR wire longer will not create any significant delay in response between the cable box and the HTPC?
post #82 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-04-27, 12:02 PM
Veteran

Given the speed of light it shouldn't make a difference.
post #83 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-03, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Hauppange Colossus & Rogers cable box Cisco 4642HD codeset Ö

I have a Hauppauge Colossus card and am trying to control a Rogers cable box via IR blaster and Blaster config without any success. I have tried all codesets and the ďlearningĒ function of blaster config also does not work.

Originally I had a Scientific Atlanta 4250HD and since I was 100% sure the location of the IR blaster and it still didnít work I had it replaced by Rogers for a newer cable box (Cisco Explorer 4642HD) but am having the same problem. When I had the cable box replaced they didnít change the remote so the signals and codeset are probably the same between the two Rogers cable boxes.

I tried to call Hauppange support but they were no help.

Does anyone know what the proper codset is for the Rogers cable box Cisco 4642 or know of another way to control the cable box?

Any other recommendations or ideas?

Thank You,
post #84 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Will a firewire connection and using firestb work with a Cisco Explorer 4642HD?

If it does I will need to purchase a firewire card for my HTPC.

Thank You,
post #85 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 09:10 PM
Veteran

Unlikely - check out this thread. You may be able to use firewire to change channels, which is somewhat useful. Note that the drivers only exist for 16 bit Windows and you may be more successful with a Mac or Linux.
post #86 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-05, 10:04 PM
Rookie

I'm using Windows 7 32-bit.

Thank You,
post #87 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 02:01 PM

Windows 7 32 bit will work fine. I'm pretty sure Wayne meant 32 bit. The only question is whether the 4642 has an active firewire port, and whether firestb includes drivers for it.

I'm currently using firestb to control a Rogers 4250 and it works very well.

Do you have another PC in the house with a firewire port you could experiment with?

If your IR blaster won't work with either box, it may be a problem with the blaster. Have you checked to make sure it's actually outputting anything at all? The integrated blaster in the Colossus is finicky and unreliable; I'd recommend you pick up a USB UIRT or a WMC blaster.

post #88 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 06:24 PM
Rookie

From the research I have done online so far it doesnít look like firestb includes the drivers for Cisco 4642 so right now it was probably a mistake to upgrade to the 4642.

I have a laptop with a firewire connection but havenít had any success getting firestb to work yet. I believe I should see the cable box listed in Device Manger correct? Since when I plug the firewire connection in Windows doesnít prompt to install a new device my guess is that the firewire port is disabled on the 4642.

When I used the Huappange IR blaster I can see it blinking when using Blaster config and trying all the different codesets but nothing happens on the 4642.

I also have a USB IR blaster that Hauppange sent me when I initially contacted them but I wasnít able to get it to work with the Blaster config program. I will probably have to try the USB IRT again and try some other software.

Thank You,
post #89 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-06, 06:26 PM

Try some other IR blaster software. There are a few around. You might be able to try setting up Windows Media Centre to control it too.

post #90 of 129 (permalink) Old 2012-06-07, 01:08 AM
Veteran

Sorry, I did mean 32 bit. The firewire drivers for windows were originally done by Tim M. Moore but there are some later drivers located here http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/. But it doesn't like like there are drivers for the 4642.

I don't think you will see the cable box listed without the right drivers - you will likely see unknown device. If Windows doesn't at least chime when you plug into the box then I am guessing that the firewire ports are disabled. If you really want to try this you might want to try to get an older box - ask at a Rogers store or call them.

But I wouldn't count on successfully getting video out of firewire ports as that is generally very flakey. But the channel changes works very reliably and I would recommend it.

Here is another program that works to change channels but it requires working drivers:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...ht=sagechanger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.