Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 01:40 PM

Afraid it won't work with 64 bit. The Firewire channel changing app only works on 32 bit systems.

It's a program called Firestb, which allows you to change channels via a command prompt. You point the Hauppauge MCE configuration program to the firestb exe, and list the arguments to pass.

If you're using 64 bit, try using the IR blaster. You might also want to try a USB IR blaster, as I've heard people generally have more luck with those than the internal Colossus solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 12:38 PM

Finally Got everything up and running, with the IR and channel changes.

issue, Sleep mode on the 8300hd. Very annoying since the first digit in the channel change is ignored due to waking up the machine. Is there any way around this.
post #48 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 12:51 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by superx View Post
issue, Sleep mode on the 8300hd. Very annoying since the first digit in the channel change is ignored due to waking up the machine. Is there any way around this.
There might be a way to "prefix" every command. If so then have it press "Enter" or "select" or even "0". Another way of doing this would be to tell your software that you require four digit codes and hopefully it will send a leading zero. Then it doesn't matter if it gets the first code or not.

Do you know what time it is going into sleep mode? If so you could run a Scheduled Task to send a keystroke to the 8300 a minute after sleep mode starts. In other words if sleep mode kicks in at 2:00 am then run a Scheduled Task at 2:01am to send a keypress to the box. That's assuming you can send an IR command from a batch file.

Another idea is to get a SA4250HD or SA3250HD as these don't go into sleep mode.

What is your PVR software? Win MC?

post #49 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 12:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
Afraid it won't work with 64 bit. The Firewire channel changing app only works on 32 bit systems.
This is a real PITA and keeps me from using a 64 bit OS for my HTPC. It is a shame that no one ever rewrote Tim M Moore's drivers for 64 bit. I wonder what ever happened to the guy - he came out with this right around that time that Vista was released and I don't think he has been heard from since. But tons of people use firestb, or at least the drivers and channel.exe and channelw.exe.

Apparently the actual drivers were written for a Panasonic tape drive many years ago.
post #50 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 01:03 PM

I am running windows media center on windows 7 64bit. Right now I will be archiving all my pvr stuff off then once my deal is up with rogers I will go to the other hd boxes.
post #51 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 01:35 PM

You can fix that in the 8300 settings. I don't think you can disable sleep, but you can have the box wake on any key press.

I don't remember exactly what I did, but I remember having the same problem and doing something to the 8300 (I use a 4250 now, but I used to use an 8300) to fix it.
post #52 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 01:48 PM
Veteran

I think it is in PowerON Keys under settings, or something similar.
post #53 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-23, 01:55 PM

Thanks Guys will Look into this when I get home.

Next step to get the harmony programmed correctly
post #54 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-25, 12:35 PM

having some issues with the xbox 360 as a extender. The video plays fine but once there is a fast movement it stutters(or skips those frames). I googled and it seem other people are having this issue and say its the xboxs 10mbs limit.

any ideas? thanks
post #55 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 10:10 AM
Rookie

For everyone's knowledge base, I posted a private message to TorontoColin and he provided the very helpful message below. I now have the Colossus working perfectly within Windows Media Center with a full tv guide schedule. My next question is... how do I compress the 'ts' file that is created on a one hour HD show (like Survivor) down from 4.66 gb to something significantly smaller (so I can transfer it across the web to another computer). I tried Handbrake but it wouldn't accept the file?

Here's the earlier private message and the reply :

Hi Brian,

I do indeed have a full guide. It performs in much the same way as my Rogers HDPVR, except that it looks much nicer and integrates other sources (such as over the air broadcasts), in addition to numerous other features which the Rogers device lacks.

There is a specific setup package for Windows Media Center for the Colossus available on the Hauppauge website. There is a PDF with a guide available here. You'll need to follow their directions pretty much exactly as listed.

I'd be happy to help you with any issues you may encounter, but I would ask that you post to the forum in future, that way anybody with similar issues in the future can benefit from your experience. Our HTPC forum can be found here; you may find your questions appropriate for this thread, or you may wish to create one of your own. I currently follow the HTPC forum, so I'm alerted when there are changes, but if you wish you can PM me when you post and I'll follow your specific thread as well.

Best of luck,

- Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianconway
Colin, I have a Colossus set up with my HTPC (windows 7) and saw that you appear to have it running through Windows Media Center with a working Scheduler. I hate the software that the Colossus came with for scheduling shows - it's not like me PVR that I can look at the tv guide and press 'enter' to setup a recording. Do you have a tv guide in WMC? I live in Calgary and have Shaw Cable TV as my provider. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Brian

p.s. feel free to post on the site if you think it'll help others.
post #56 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 05:28 PM
Rookie

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing the Colossus for my HTPC setup but I would like to ask your expert opinions on a few things first.

My HTPC currently does not have any TV tuner/PVR capability, I've only been using it for music, movies/downloaded video, surfing the net, etc.

My TV is connected to a Rogers (Toronto) STB via HDMI and I have the HTPC connected to the TV via HDMI also.

My goal is to have a setup that allows me to watch TV directly through the STB, while performing scheduled recordings (in HD) from the box on the HTPC.

I am pretty sure that the Colossus can not do this, as the STB will only output a signal from one source, but from reading threads on here and on the AVS forum, I think it may be the best available solution for me right now (for recording HD).

Worst case I just need something that will allow me to schedule recordings of HD content (primarily football and soccer games), if I really must go through the HTPC for TV then so be it.

My questions are:

1) Can anyone confirm if the Rogers STB will not output from two sources (I think I have the newer SA 3250HD w/ HDMI).

2) Does any solution exist that will allow me to watch TV and record (HD) without having to watch TV strictly through my HTPC?

3) If I must go through the HTPC to the TV, will the Colossus do HD pass-through (i.e. still allow me to watch TV if the PC is off)?

You help is greatly appreciated!
post #57 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 11:18 PM
Rookie

HTPC setup

I don't know if the stb will output both HDMI and component, but one way to check would be to attach a second tv with component cables and see if you get a picture. Assuming it does output component, you can certainly hook up the Colossus to record hd tv.

If it won't output both HDMI and Component at the same time, why not just get a second stb (and use the Component output on that one)?

Brian
post #58 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 09:51 AM
Veteran

The box outputs the same channel out HDMI and component (if both are active). If you want to record one channel and watch another, you need two cable boxes, or just get the provider DVR.

Myself, I have two boxes (athough one is an SD box through a TiVo).

If you just want to record local channels, and can get them from antenna, I would explore that option.

I don't think the Colossus has passthrough when the computer is off.
post #59 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 04:05 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm going to have to re-evaluate what my priorities are here. It looks like I might have to settle for a system that can only perform scheduled recordings, or record whatever I'm watching (and allow me to pause, skip commercials, etc.).

I've decided not to give Rogers even more of my money every month by getting the PVR (and I wouldn't buy one outright either), so that's not an option.

I'm just going to have to check that the HDMI and component both output at the same time (will be tricky since I only have one television )...
post #60 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 07:18 AM
Rookie

Colossus with videotron 4642

Hi, i have successfuly installed the colossus cards on my htpc.
I'm using windows 7 64 bits and i'm using the Cisco 4642 HD stb.
Everything seems to be working fine so far.

I have setup the IR with the "learning" button in blastcnfg.

however i was wondering, was is the "." key ? I mean i undestand, 0-9 on and power but what is "." ?

Also, what's are the delays you have setup for :

Inter-Digits Delay ?
Power on delay ?
Key delay ?
Tuning delay ?
single digit delay ?
What is checked ?

Also, are you able to record using the optical / digital sound with component ?

I don't know why, but it does'nt seems to work for me, i must take the sound input from the stereo connectors that are with the component connectors.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.