Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 11:39 AM

All x16 slots can accept x1 cards without any performance degradation.

Just don't try putting a x16 card in a x1 slot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-05-10, 01:30 PM

Sounds good, I might pick it up.
post #33 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-05-10, 02:37 PM

yes, i have an asus p5q-e board, it appears that the black x16 slots should be able to accept a x1 card like the colossus whereas the blue x16 slot is dedicated for video card only. hopefully i can give it a shot shortly.

post #34 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-05-13, 05:05 PM

So I know there is lag for for gaming but would I be able to watch from an hd box properly?
post #35 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-05-14, 12:45 AM
Veteran

I've put a 1x tuner card in a 16x video slot and it worked. Doesn't matter if the slot is black, blue, orange, pink or purple (and some are ), it's still a PCIe slot. That was on an mATX board with on board video. OTOH, you still need a video card on most ATX boards.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #36 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-07-04, 10:42 PM

My old external Hauppauge HD-PVR died over the weekend, so I've ordered a Colossus to replace it. I'll be using it with a Rogers SA4250, so I'll have to use component since Rogers uses HDCP, but that's no big deal.

I use Windows 7 Media Center, so I'm hoping the beta drivers work at least as well as the external HD-PVR drivers. I'm a little hopeful that I'll see a moderate improvement in the 5-6 second channel change time I was getting before. I use firewire for channel changes, so I thankfully don't have to worry about the IR blaster.

I like the idea of the Colossus because it will eliminate one of the external boxes in my setup, and I feel like an internal card is almost certain to be more stable and the external box. I'll post again when I've installed it and update on how well it works.
post #37 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-07-05, 09:30 PM

Installed it today and it seems to be working beautifully. Setup was a breeze, especially since I didn't have to deal with the IR blaster. I just installed the Hauppauge WMC application, told it which inputs I was using and the path and arguments for firestb, and it was ready to go. TV setup in WMC picked it up as a digital cable tuner and set up the guide perfectly.

Channel changes still aren't as fast as my SD digital cable, but they're faster than the external HD-PVR was, taking about 3-4 seconds, and it seems stable. All in all I'm very happy, it seems like a simple and stable HD cable solution for WMC.
post #38 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-07-05, 10:23 PM

I am using mine now for a few months and it is great and the quality is fantastic.
post #39 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-07-08, 01:57 PM

Sorry for the delay, I am back reporting a bit of my experience with the Colossus.

It works absolutely great in my new HTPC, beautiful image, no stutter or anything. Great recording.

But... Would you believe I am still stuck with the Colossus limited software? I installed Media Portal, great software, but there are remaining bugs with the sound with Colossus. And the version I have is unstable, once in a while it crashes ( probably some other software interfering, but I have no clue which one). So L've put this on ice for the summer, I am enjoying the outdoors, and will go back to this in fall.

I haven't given up, but was considering trying Sage out. Not fast enough, they closed down.

So I don't have a real working solution, and now I don't even have a valid alternative. Sucks.
post #40 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 06:30 PM
Rookie

What code did you use to get it to work with that STB ?
post #41 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 08:40 PM

I am thinking of getting one of these to use Windows media center as my frontend and PVR.

This will go on my main server.

Can the xbox 360 be used as a xtender, view the guide change channels and set recordings, view recordings.

Sorry if this question sounds stupid, the reason for why I ask is because I don't want to get a 360 and find out it does not work.

Thanks
post #42 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 01:40 AM

The 360 will do all of that, although you'll need to download an optional media update from Xbox Live.
post #43 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-20, 10:57 PM

which Media update, Will that cost anything.

Thanks
post #44 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-21, 01:32 AM

It will prompt you to download it the first time you try and watch something from the Colossus. It's completely free.
post #45 of 129 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 01:27 PM

Thanks torontocolin, It seems you will have the same setup as me.

I installed the ir for the 8300, but was thinking your way may be easier through the firewire.

If you don't mind me asking how did you set that up.

Thanks

Also I am using windows 7 64

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.