H.264 vs VP8 Video Codec Performance Compared - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-05-23, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator
H.264 vs VP8 Video Codec Performance Compared

This is far from any sort of comprehensive comparison as he used only one source file (SD: 480x360 4:3) so take this with a grain of salt until further comparisons are available:

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-05-23, 08:45 PM
Half of comparisons (3 of 6) are not performed on the same frame. That alone is enough for me to not even consider reading what author has to say. No mater how short actual comparison is.

I'm not saying that one codec is better than the other. I'm saying that author of this "review" has some way to go before we can take any of his comments seriously. Besides, if "free" was reason for comparing them, why he didn't use free encoders instead of commercial ones? Again, FAIL!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-05-25, 09:43 AM
The Test has been updated to address the concerns.... "In my haste to post the article, I didn't use the exact same frames in the comparison images....."
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-05-25, 04:03 PM
Based upon the following in-depth technical analysis of VP8 I suspect VP8 will not be very popular since it probably is not free of patent risks. Thus any comparison to H.264 is moot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.