Easy MythTV Install & Setup Using Mandriva and PLF - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Thumbs up Easy MythTV Install & Setup Using Mandriva and PLF

I've been following the MythTV 0.22 thread all along and it seems to me that many or most of the problems I've seen there are things that Ubuntu users deal with. I have not faced anywhere near as much difficulty using Mandriva Linux 2010 as the base OS using a variety of different OTA hardware.

So, here is what I recommend for an easy Mythtv installation & setup:
  1. prepare your PC for installation by connecting all DTV cards & devices, powered on
  2. install Mandriva 2010 (I use the 64-bit PowerPack version - do not use a Beta or testing version of Mandriva)
  3. keep in mind that Ubuntu is only one type of Linux distribution with its own ways of doing things, and so is Mandriva, so take it slow to get things right
  4. during software selection do not select any of the listed MythTV apps for install yet
  5. after system installation completes, login for the first time and add all of the Penguin Liberation Front software media to the system as described here
  6. after you've done that, open the Configure Your Computer tool (you'll need the root password)
  7. run a full software update using the Update Your Computer tool so that all the latest versions of everything are installed
  8. open the Install & Remove Software tool and in the search field enter "myth" to see all the MythTV stuff you'll want
  9. PLF versions are always better to have than the standard Mandriva versions, so select accordingly
  10. all required and dependent software programs will be automatically installed too
  11. after all the software has been added, commence setting up MythTV according to numerous FAQs and HOWTOs on the mythtv.org site and on the web
If all goes well like it always seems to for me, you should end up with everything working perfectly right out of the box.

If it doesn't, post here for help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 02:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
I've been following the MythTV 0.22 thread all along and it seems to me that many or most of the problems I've seen there are things that Ubuntu users deal with.
Err, no. But thanks for playing!

People using Mythbuntu can simply skip the first 10 of your 11 steps above.

The problems are with the mythtv software itself (step 11 above), which is more or less identical regardless of the Linux distro used underneath.

And with the kernel device drivers used to manage the tuner cards. Again, the kernel is mostly the same (versions do vary, though) across distros of similar vintage.

Installing a mythtv distro is trivial.
Getting it running is usually not too bad.
But configuring it so that everything works properly is the final 10% that takes 99% of the time.

Cheers
post #3 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

And you've used the PLF-built MythTV software on Mandriva how many times?

I must be the luckiest guy on earth.

post #4 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 02:50 PM
Veteran

So.. how's the analog reception on your 950Q tuners?
And how about that 4x5 grid on your EPG screen?
Does RightArrow play the currently selected recording?
Does LeftArrow exit from the "Watch Recordings" menu?
How many times has your HVR-1600 lost the audio track -- oh, wait, you don't have one of those for analog use.

Nothing there is affected by what distro one is using -- it's all mythtv software and the v4l2-dvb kernel drivers.
post #5 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-04, 03:31 PM

To claim that in general people's issues with MythTV are only due to the distribution they are using or are only due to the MythTV software is a gross generalization. There are actually four groups of software (and therefore potential sources for problems):

1. Linux software not specific to MythTV or any particular distribution.
2. Software specific to the distribution, including the package manager, package repositories and the packages themselves.
3. MythTV software not specific to any distribution.
4. Distribution specific MythTV software; mostly the installer, but also configuration assistants and maybe things like remote control interfaces.

The problem is most people don't distinguish between the various groups of software, often referring to any problem as a problem with MythTV.

My experience so far has been with MythBuntu 9.10 (MythTV 0.22) creating a MBE, using the LiveCD for a FE and an OSX FE. See my post for the issues I ran into.

The fact there are many different distributions is a strong indication that each has strengths and weaknesses. And although it is probably possible to install MythTV on a given distribution, using Mythbuntu (or LinHES, or MythDora) provides a simplified install process and the addition of the distribution specific MythTV software. (However, this simplification often means less control, customization, and hardware options.)
post #6 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Easy does it there - I'm showing people an alternative way to install and setup MythTV. I'm glad to do it.
post #7 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

PLF apps

mlord I was just looking through that list you made and most of it either doesn't apply or doesn't matter to me.

I'm clarifying here that I'm showing people how to do an easy job of installing and setting up MythTV on Mandriva with the benefit of PLF-built apps, which are terrific.
post #8 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 12:10 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
I'm clarifying here that I'm showing people how to do an easy job of installing and setting up MythTV on Mandriva with the benefit of PLF-built apps, which are terrific.
That would have been a much better way to introduce this thread instead of saying that this will fix all of the problems in the MythTV 0.22 thread. Sounds like this won't fix any of the problems. If I ever want to play with PLF-built apps, I will give Mandriva a try. For now I am just trying to get everything working the way I want it to. I am having lots of fun with it, but it is hard to do a couple minutes at a time, as when at home I often have a baby in one of my arms and thus can't type too easily (thanks Mark for getting the remote to work so at least I can hold the remote with one hand).
post #9 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-05, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I never said it would fix all the problems, but that many or most of the problems with installing and setting up MythTV were to do with Ubuntu, so Mandriva and PLF are a great option.

The items that mlord mentioned are not to do with installing and setting up MythTV per se. They are fixes for specific problems or needs based on ones' hardware or user preferences.

I seem to have tweaked some noses here, which was not my intent.
post #10 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 03:32 PM

Stampeder,

Thanks for your post - I wish it was a few days earlier as I spend most of last weekend trying to get MythTV to work for me.

I got it installed but the video would stop when changing channels and I would receive a buffer overload error. I even tried the MythDora version of the install - same thing.

It might be my hardware - not sure but for the hell of it I then tried Windows 7 Media Center and was blown away. I love the interface and the ability to use my Xbox 360 as a media extender.

Best of all it just works..... I'll post my full setup with pictures as soon as all is in place this weekend.

But I for one will not criticize your efforts to help others as I could have used it last weekend.

Cheers
post #11 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

I'm always delighted when people get the reception that they desire even if its not with my recommended methods, so its great that you found a solution. I can't help you with W7MC in this thread though.
post #12 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

My OTA PVR system

I run a separate mythbackend machine that carries all the tuners, stores the recordings internally, and streams the programming over my Gigabit Ethernet home network or Wireless B/G wlan. In today's configuration I'm using the following gear on it:
  • AMD X64 2-core CPU on MSI mobo with 4GB ram and 3TB dedicated recording storage space on separate raid from 500GB OS & miscelaneous use system disk, all running on Mandriva Linux 2010 with PLF software
  • runs on command line (init runlevel 3) but can go into GUI mode if I ever need
  • I run regular system and mythconverg database backups to an eSATA external hard drive
  • 1 pcHDTV 5500 PCI card for DTV
  • 1 Hauppauge 950Q USB device for DTV
  • 1 Hauppauge 950Q USB device for Clear QAM cable TV
  • 1 Hauppauge 950 USB device for DTV
  • 1 Hauppauge 150 PCI card for NTSC analogue OTA
  • 1 Hauppauge 150 PCI card for NTSC basic analogue cable TV
  • DVD burner, multi-card reader, USB 2.0, Firewire, and eSATA connectivity
Before anyone cries "heresy" about the OTA Forum Moderator using cable tv I have the basic cable connection because I use Delta Cable High Speed Internet as my ISP. Delta Cable often has Clear QAM channels.

Of all the DTV tuner devices I've tried over the years, my favourite is the pcHDTV 5500. It works perfectly, it has excellent command line diagnostic tools, and the DTV performance is top notch in my experience. If I had another PCI slot available I'd swap in my second pcHDTV 5500 for one of the USB devices in an instant. The analogue side of the pcHDTV 5500 is good too, but I prefer my old Hauppauge 150s for that.

My main mythfrontend machine is part of my Home Theatre apparatus feeding into my Onkyo AVR and Sony 60" HDTV via HDMI. I've configured it as a high performance multimedia, Internet, and office desktop PC running on Mandriva Linux 2010 with PLF software. It runs an AMD 4-core CPU on an ASUS mobo with 8GB ram and 2TB of storage on a separate raid from the OS disk. The video card is an Nvidia GT220, which fully uses the excellent vdpau functionality. It has separate DVD and Blu-ray burners, a multi-card reader, USB 2.0, Firewire, Bluetooth, IR, and eSATA connectivity. I use a wireless keyboard and mouse to watch MythTV programming. I used to run a fully featured Hauppauge remote control and then trained my Harmony remote to control it instead, but I got tired of playing with it when the keyboard does everything I want so I don't spend much time on that anymore.

I found that for my personal uses and old habits, scripts, programs, settings, etc. it was much easier to install MythTV over a full Linux distro than to use the dedicated MythTV distros (MythDora or Mythbuntu) which required me to do a lot of fiddling around to get the above personal preferences ready for my use.

With Mandriva the list of available software (particularly the wonderful PLF stuff) is a much better fit for my needs, and I've been using it since the late 1990s so I'm quite familiar with their way of doing things.

Last edited by stampeder; 2010-05-06 at 04:30 PM.
post #13 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:14 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
My main mythfrontend machine is part of my Home Theatre apparatus feeding into my Onkyo AVR and Sony 60" HDTV via HDMI. I've configured it as a high performance multimedia, Internet, and office desktop PC. It runs an AMD 4-core CPU on an ASUS mobo with 8GB ram and 2TB of storage on a separate raid from the OS disk.
Why do you need such a high end machine for your frontend? Isn't most of the work being done by the video card? Thought most people tried to use a small, quiet machine.

Quote:
I used to run a fully featured Hauppauge remote control and then trained my Harmony remote to control it
If it is only a frontend and doesn't have a tuner, how did you receive the IR commands from the Hauppauge remote?
post #14 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
OTA Forum Moderator

Quote:
Why do you need such a high end machine for your frontend?
As I say, I've configured it as a high performance multimedia, Internet, and office desktop PC that is used for a variety of things other than just watching TV. I edit/burn videos and music, surf the 'net, read/write documents, etc. and I used to fly WWII combat flight sims on it (using WINE) with a force-feedback joystick. I once built a completely stripped down mythfrontend box for one of my other HDTVs but we seldom use it so it just sits there.
Quote:
If it is only a frontend and doesn't have a tuner, how did you receive the IR commands from the Hauppauge remote?
The mythfrontend has a dedicated USB 2.0 IR Receiver that came with the remote. I configured LIRC on the mythfrontend so that when the remote control commands it to do something, it passes along any server-side requirements that it doesn't handle on to the mythbackend.
post #15 of 427 (permalink) Old 2010-05-06, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I never said it would fix all the problems, but that many or most of the problems with installing and setting up MythTV were to do with Ubuntu
And that assertion is patently false, that's all.

Most / all of the problems in the 0.22 thread are due to drivers and MythTV itself; very few, if any, are due to the underlying distribution.

Now.. back to your setup.. it's probably the second most elaborate one on these boards!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.