Cant any view video on HTPC - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-04-11, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Cant any view video on HTPC

good day, I have Vista Home Ultimate HTPC, when I enter TV+Movies & go to either recorded tv or live tv. I can t view anything because it gives me an error message:
Video Error:files needed to display video are not installed correctly. Please restart windows media center or restart the computer
I tried to fix it my self:
  1. I restarted the computer
  2. I installed all updates
  3. I installed windows vista codec pack
None of this worked, can anyone advise me how to rectify this, below is my system list:
AMD athlon X3 425 2.7GHZ
4GB DDr3 ram
gigabyte GA-MA785gmt-ud2h
WD 1 TB HDD

Thank you for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-04-11, 11:25 AM
Veteran

You may not have the appropriate CODEC installed. Windows provides a selection of CODECs but there are a few missing. CODECs are a bit of a black art for newcomers. Finding the correct ones, installing and configuring them to work well can be a bit daunting. I suggest that you install one of the CODEC packs from this site. I use CODEC 8.3 but you may have more success with a package made for your particular software.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-04-11, 04:00 PM

what format are you trying to play?

you likely need to install DivX. I'd recommend staying away from codec packs, as they generally install a TON of stuff you just don't need
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Hi, Scary bob what do you mean; ,"you may have more success with a package made for your particular software". Im a bit of a noobie is there a codec or codec pack specificaaly for my software Windows media center?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 09:49 PM

the codecs are related to what you're trying to play, not what you're trying to play them with
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

I tested a couple of dvd's (dix,avchd files etc) & they played perfectly in Windows Media Player, but when I tried to play them in Windows Media Center the same messeage popped up, "Video Error: files needed to display video are not installed...etc. I "think" (not sure though) I have all the codecs installed, I even installed codec 8.3 suggested by Scary bob.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 10:58 PM

I'd DL the newest ATI video drivers first.

I actually do like the shark007 Vista codecs. You don't need it unless you're using media center for other videos (e.g. with media browser)

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.