USB or PCI ATSC tuner card recommendations? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 2010-04-06, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

USB or PCI ATSC tuner card recommendations?

Long story short... I want/need the most sensitive ATSC tuner available for recording TV off the air, without the price getting ridiculous. I currently have a Windows XP based USB external unit. It's getting quite old, as is XP.

I'd prefer something linux-based, but if the best solution is with Windows, I might consider. I can go with either standalone or a USB or PCI card and simple software. I do *NOT* want TIVO or MYTH. I should't need no steenkin SQL database just to record an afternoon movie at home while I'm away at work.

OTA brings you crystal-clear, uncompressed HDTV, no simsubbing, and the real SuperBowl commercials. You can't get all that on satellite... OR CABLE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 10:41 PM

My personal fav is HVR-1250 but it is PCI-Express x1. Even better is the HVR-2250 (also PCIex1) for dual tuner. Both include low profile brackets.

I also have a couple of 950Q and I would take the 950Q over the few PCI cards I have (HVR-1600, KWorld PCI-120, Sapphire ATI Theatrix 650)

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 10:12 PM
OTA Forum Moderator

As I've said before in other threads, my MythTV Linux box has 2 pcHDTV 5500 PCI cards, 2 Hauppauge 950Q USB devices, and 1 Hauppauge 950 USB (earlier model). The pcHDTV cards have the highest ATSC sensitivity of all of them, and are more sensitive than the ATSC tuners in my 2 Sony and 1 Samsung HDTVs as well as in my RCA converter box that I use for testing.

There are no Windows drivers for pcHDTV cards though, just Linux. MythTV has full support for them built in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.