D-Link Media player connection problem
I am having problem with connecting a D-Link DSM-520 media player with a computer. The twist is that the devices have worked well previously until a change in intermediate equipment.
The DSM-520 was connected by wifi to a Linksys WRT54 router which was connected by ethernet to a PC. The computer's media server software fed media files to the DSM-520 just fine.
Just had a change in equipment where the router (and separate modem) was replaced by a D-Link triple play modem (router, modem, switch all-in-one) supplied by Telus. Note that this modem is supplied hardware and doesn't come with any instructions.
What has happened now is that the media player says no server is found, but it is connected to the network. I have checked the computer for uPnP and firewall issues. The wi-fi connection setup is the same. Uninstalled and reinstalled the server software to no avail.
However, when I install the server software in a laptop, it can be seen by the media player. It just cannot be seen on 2 computer hooked up on the same combo box via ethernet.
I have rigged a bypass where the laptop is running the server and is reading voa network the computer (which previously linked to the media player) drive with the media files.
The only thing I can see is that the Telus box separates the wi-fi and ethernet router enough so that some wi-fi connected and ethernet connected devices cannot see each other.