VHS tape capture picture ripples - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

VHS tape capture picture ripples

I hope I'm putting this question in the right place. Hello everyone, I'm the new kid on the block and have a question regarding why the picture from a vhs tape ripples about every 20 to 30 seconds. I am using Diamond's One Touch Video Capture device, a Sony VCR and my system is a Systemax AMD Phenom quad-four with 8gb memory and 3 TB disk space. I've been capturing these vhs tapes and have run into one that simply won't do a normal capture. I need to figure out why this rippling is taking place and if I can remove it. Does anyone have a solution? I appreciate any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 11:04 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Almost all commercial VHS tapes had a form of Macrovision (copy protection). Perhaps your system was able to remove the protection from other tapes you've done and this one tape has a newer form of Macrovision (perhaps CGMSa), or whatever, that your system cannot circumvent.

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for that info, but this is a tape from a family gathering that was blank before use. It is the only one in this set of tapes that does this ripple thing. I'm really at a loss about how to resolve is, the tracking adjustments doesn't do anything to it.
I appreciate your input, but I think it's got to be something else.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 12:35 PM

Found this on the web, could be your problem:

Quote:
(2) Clear-Water Effect: This is an error named because of the way it resembles ripples in clear shallow water. Parts of the video on screen are wiggling, with such a ripple effect. There is really no way to correct this in the software. This is an error caused from timing errors on the analog video tape. The DNR/TBC on S-VHS VCRs is known to remove this. Sometimes a VCR can cause this, so try the tape in several VCRs.

Read more: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/vid...#ixzz0j1BqYn6e
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Dd Dave! You might have resolved this issue, good or bad. I'll check things from that standpoint.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-23, 11:41 PM

Depending on how much money you want to spend, how much the video is worth cleaning up... Go to a professional post production facility and have them dub the tape through a Time Base Corrector (TBC). That might help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.