little help for a newbie? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2010-03-17, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

little help for a newbie?

Right now I've got an old (very old) pc hooked up to my nice new plasma screen in the living room. I'd like to get a simple HTPC-type unit to replace it - primarily for playing movies (dvd & files on computer) and music - not worried about using it for TV. I had settled on the Asrock ION 330, but have two questions:

1) Should I go for just the the 330 or go up $70 to the 330HT? (330 is just $370 right now.) 5.1 vs. 7.1 isn't going to make a difference for me and is the remote worth that? Are there other differences I'm missing? (Not worried about BluRay - don't need to go higher...) Can I just get another remote to run windows media centre (or other software for movies/music, like XMBC, which I've read about but haven't used...) Okay, that was more than one question. Just wondering if the HT is worth the extra?

2) Should I get the ION330 or would a PC like this one:
Acer Aspire AX1301-E9202 (Refurbished) AMD Athlon X2 240 2.8GHz, 3GB DDR2 Memory, 320GB HDD, 9 in 1 Card Reader, nVIDIA GeForce 9200 Graphics, DVD-RW, GigaLAN, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Keyboard & Mouse

work just as well (and/or better) for my general HTPC usage and maybe a little web surfing - and it costs the same (and has a USB in the front!

Just wondering if anyone sees a big difference with the ION vs. the Aspire for showing movies and general usage.

Appreciate the input - interesting reading on these forums...I've a lot to learn...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2010-03-17, 11:56 PM

just to give you a bit of an idea hardware wise what you need

I've got 2 HTPC

both are AMD athlon x2 2.0 ghz (1 is a socket 939 other is am2/am2+)
both have 3gb ram (s939 has ddr, am2 ddr2)

both have onboard nvidia geforce 6150

both will play anything 720p or less with no issues at all

I added a $45 ati 4350 card to the upstairs machine, and now it'll play all 1080p content with no issues at all

I still keep most stuff at 720p for storage consideration, and the fact that both tv are 42" and I just can't really see the difference between 1080 and 720 from the couch

you do NOT need a huge amount of horsepower in the HTPC if you get a decent video card (and a decent htpc card is 50 bucks or less)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.