Apple patents reveal Big Plans for AppleTV - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 12:34 AM

Game changer? Not sure about that. There's nothing new here that isn't already in the marketplace. The one good thing that might come of this is they take a well deserved share of Logitech's market, but I don't see them making inroads into the higher end home automation market (URC, RTI, Control4, Creston, etc).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I think it would be a game changer because Apple would do what they do best...make the integration clean and easy for the masses.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 05:12 PM

Does Apple? Massively successful over the last three years, but PC market share down last year ... iPhone saturation rate may be reaching max (next gen iPhone offers nothing new), iPad may be a very big miss, and AppleTV hasn't really captured the market. There was a good article in today's GlobeInvestor about now being a good time to sell Apple shares for those very reasons (as well as the fact that Apple's been on top of the tech world for too long given historical cycles in that sector).

While I appreciate one shouldn't underestimate Apple or Steve Jobs, they've never been a value proposition. How is Apple going to sell hundreds of dollars of hardware for something that is already in the marketplace for much less to varying degrees. While anyone who reads my posts knows I am not fan of Logitech's Harmony remotes, there is no question they own that market and have recently moved to ensure that you can get into their products remarkably inexpensively.

My guess is that Apple is really targeting the market that already has Mac PC's, iPhones/iTouches, and maybe an AppleTV because of the integration possibilities and sales that represents. I don't see it as having the leverage to appeal to those who may only have an iPod and really aren't completely in the Apple clubhouse.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-15, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
How is Apple going to sell hundreds of dollars of hardware for something that is already in the marketplace for much less to varying degrees.
This sounds like comments made about the iPhone a couple of years ago.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2010-03-22, 07:38 PM

Apple and patents...I think their new business plan is to file a bunch of patents and sue anyone who remotely tries to copy one of their ideas. Litigation instead of innovation?

Tags
appletv , automation , iphone , universal remote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.