HTPC PVR with Starchoice - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

HTPC PVR with Starchoice

Hi Guys,

First post here. I recently converted an old Dell box into an HTPC by purchasing a Hauppauge HVR-950Q. I have it connected to my satellite connection through my Starchoice receiver. This setup works, however is a pain to use. The tuner only reads one channel out from the Starchoice. This means that I have to pick the channel on my receiver, and set it to record on my box.

SATELLITE ---> Receiver 1 ---> HTPC ---> TV

Is there anyway to integrate the 2 devices together, so that my PVR sees all the Starchoice channels, and a guide, so that I can program everything off the computer?

Ie: SATELLITE ---> HTPC (with onscreen guide)

And if so, what do I need to do so that my computer can control the satellite and pick the channel of my choosing?

Thanks in advance!

I am computer literate, but this is a first time project for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 09:31 PM
Veteran

You cannot directly tune pay satellite on your computer. There are no such tuner cards the providers would permit you use to tune their singal directly on a PC. You can only get DVB-FTA that way.

You need the receiver and the tuner/capture card. To integrate guide, you need a DVR softwar epackage, and an IR blaster, such as the USB-UIRT.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-05, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks for your response Classicsat!

What would you recommend for DVR Software? Where can I get a USB-UIRT?

Thanks for your help!
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-06, 02:11 AM

Admittedly, I haven't done this myself. But I thought that some HTPC software can control other devices, like the satellite reciever, using an IR blaster. The real problem is getting the Starchoice program guide. But, Windows media center includes program guides for Canadian cable, so I'd assume they have guide data for satellite services. (They just don't have guides for OTA, but there are hacks for that)

If you are running Windows 7, try setting up Media Center and see if you can download the Shaw Direct guide info. If that works, then you can invest in an MCE remote with IR blaster.

Samsung LN40A550, Asus A8N SLI, Athlon 64 X2 3800, XFX HD One 5450, 2 Hauppauge HVR-2250, LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray, Windows 7
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-06, 11:53 AM

this is the setup I have

Shaw direct receiver --> HD-PVR (hauppauge) --> Win7 --> TV

win7 (media center) is a billion times better as a guide than the craptacular native shaw guide.

also, you can now schedule recordings, pause live tv, etc etc
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-06, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Awesome! Thanks for your help everyone!

I am running XP on my HTPC, but I will try using Media Center with my laptop. What do you guys use for an IR Blaster? Does MC support IR Blasters?

Thanks in advance.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 12:56 AM

yes

you need the MS IR receiver/blaster combo

they run about 30ish bucks

i've just recently updated to win7, had previously been running XP MCE for a couple of years
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-09, 07:56 AM

What are you using for the ir blaster?

i'm assuming you're using the dvblogic code to integrate the hdpvr into mc, how do you like that?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-12, 10:48 AM

I had a ton of issues getting it installed but once it was running it's been fantastic. Certain channels seem prone to lose audio/video sync occassionally bit overall it's been very good
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-16, 01:32 PM

There is a combo version of the MS MediaCente Remote that comes with 2 IR Blasters and a USB receiver.

I have this hooked up to 2 Shaw Direct receivers. Media center controls both of the receivers

Media center also recognizes the Shaw Direct guide, both new and classic.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-17, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks everyone!

Could anyone post a link to these MC blasters? I have looked on various websites and can't seem to find them.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-17, 11:48 PM

ebay is about the only place you'll find them these days

what you want is the MS IR beanbag
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-18, 08:15 AM

do an ebay search for JF957

unfortunately the only sellers with this are not shipping to Cda so e bay dot ca will not get any hits.

You may have to build up the components you need separately.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-19, 11:34 AM
Veteran

Just to clarify on this a bit - if you want to be able to record HD channels in HD then you will need the Hauppauge HD-PVR. It comes with its own IR blaster/receiver but this ddevice can be somewhat problematic.

If you only want to record SD channels then there are lots of options - any tuner card with an s-video input will suffice and then you will need the MS IR blaster to change channels. But you will only be able to watch or record one channel per satellite box. You could hook up several satellite boxes to several tuners if you wanted but then it becomes trickier to do the IR control on all of those satellite boxes. The USB-UIRT can control up to 3 devices at once - two channels using the leads from its port and one more using the front LED. I am not sure how well it does this with Win Media Center as I use SageTV.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 2010-03-20, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Wayne!

Does anyone have any experience using the USB-UIRT? I have read a little bit about them and they seem to be highly recommended. Is their website the only place to buy them?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.