AppleTV 3.0 + Sapphire + Divx mini review - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
AppleTV 3.0 + Sapphire + Divx mini review

For quite awhile I've been using an AppleTV (version 2.4) box with a 1TB external USB drive and XBMC. Recently I updated to 3.0.1 which required the hack to be applied again. So rather than just put XBMC on the box again, I thought I would look at alternatives.

I decided to look at Sapphire

I installed Sapphire and I'm quite pleased with this program. Relatively easy to install and configure. The apple like interface fits in quite nicely with the Apple UI. Grabbing metadata from and works quite well - get show descriptions, artworks, etc.

What I really like is the gem icons that let you know which shows you have already watched. Blue gems = not watched, red gems = watched. Also, there is no waiting to launch Sapphire like there is with XBMC.

I've now switched from XBMC to Sapphire. The viewing experience is much better with Sapphire and I'm enjoying my AppleTV twice as much. I can only say nothing but positive stuff about Sapphire, well not really....

Caveats and Cons

Sapphire uses the native Quicktime player to play your media. Therefore you'll need to install codecs (such as divX) that AppleTV doesn't handle. I first tried Perian but had problems with it crashing when Fast forwarding and rewinding. So I installed the divx codec from and it works just great!

Some menu items in Sapphire don't seem to work 100%. For example, scan for new files doesn't seem to do anything, you'll need to go to Setting and select import data when adding files to the database.

Only uses to get show information. Would be nice if it used as well. As well if Sapphire can't find metadata for a file it will not show up in your tvshows (it can be played, but it's a bit inconvenient).

Anyways, anyone using AppleTV with XBMC might want to take a look at Sapphire - it's a solid little program.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 07:58 AM
Member #1
hkaye, thanks very much for a great post.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.