Streaming on your Local area network - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Streaming on your Local area network

Some Internet providers have a usage cap.
If you are streaming video on your local network from one device to another does that count?
which leads to another question. Do you even need an ISP for a local network?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 10:31 PM
rpr

No and no. If it doesn't leave your local network, it doesn't count. If it did, I would be paying a LOT more than I am now. And no you don't need an ISP for a local network, just a switch or wireless router.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-11-27, 04:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
And no you don't need an ISP for a local network, just a switch or wireless router.
If you are only connecting two devices, you don't even need that. You can just connect the two with a crossover cable. Some setup would be required as there won't be a DHCP server, unless you put one on one of the PCs.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-11-30, 12:00 PM

Gigabit switches are the cheapest, easiest and best solution for networking.

My old, old wireless router (with the cable modem connected) connects to one of them so internet can be shared on the whole network.

The other computers talk to each other whether the wireless router is connected or not.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-02, 06:42 PM
rpr

@roger1818: yes, that's true, but crossover network cables aren't exactly common in most computer stores, and most people don't have the knowledge or tools to make them. And yes, it is a bit trickier to setup. As mentioned, the easiest route is to use a router, wireless or not, since they usually have DHCP servers to take care of the network stuff for you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 05:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr View Post
As mentioned, the easiest route is to use a router, wireless or not, since they usually have DHCP servers to take care of the network stuff for you.
And their also smart enough to negate the need for crossover cables!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 06:58 PM

Macs don't require a special crossover cable, you can use a regular ethernet cable and connect two Macs together. Or alternatively, just set one Mac to share it's connection via Wifi and more than one Mac can connect wirelessly.

No real need for a switch or router, if you have Macs. Handy if you are away from home and have two Macs that you need to connect wired or wireless.

Best DYI TV antenna plans - I use the Bi-Quad Indoor TV Antenna
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 07:55 PM
Veteran

There is no need for crossover cables. Almost all 100Mbps and 1000Mbps Ethernet devices auto-negotiate. They were required for 10Mb/s devices but who has those anymore? (Well, OK, I have an old 10Mbps card in a junk box in the basement.) Even with a 10Mbps device, chances are the port it connects to will auto-negotiate.

Quote:
If you are streaming video on your local network from one device to another does that count?
Only if the stream goes to a PC on the internet. If it stays local, it does not count.

Quote:
Do you even need an ISP for a local network?
No. An ISP is only required to access computers on the internet. a Local Area Network (LAN) is just that, between PCs on a single site.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-12-03, 10:20 PM
rpr

It's obviously been a few years since I tried to directly connect two computers without a switch. I especially miss Arcnet...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.