Russound vs. Sonos? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Russound vs. Sonos?

Not sure if this topic should go in this thread, but it is not really "Home Theatre" so not sure where it would fit.

I am in the process of building a home (basement, main floor, second floor and loft area) and I am looking at different home audio solutions. (Not really focussing on video distribution as I would likely just use some Apple TV units, if needed). I plan on putting in ceiling speakers in the major rooms and home running all of the speaker wire down to a central location in the basement. I would also propose to put volume control knobs on the wall in each room with speakers in the event I "group" in ceiling speakers from different rooms into a common "zone" but may not want sound in one room at a given time.

While I like the idea of some type of control panel on the wall, (that way it will never get mis placed) I also like the idean of having an independent control, (either like the Sonos controller) or an app that can run on a Touch or iphone and control the audio.

I have about 25 gb of music stored on a NAS and I don't currently subscribe to XM, bout would consider it. I also would like the ability to allow one of my kids upstairs to listen to something while I could listen to something different downstairs.

I was seriously considering a Sonos system but then someone said I should consider Russound as it has similar functionality, possibly similar price point but more importantly, allows for greater integration into a larger system (HAI, for example).

Any thoughts on Russound vs. Sonos as the audio component of what will hopefully be a relatively integrated system? (Thinking of Insteon for lighting, don't need to control drapes, blinds etc).

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 01:47 PM
Thumbs up

Sonos all the way!! See this article for a good discussion on the relative merits.

(I have five Sonos zoneplayers, three Sonos controllers, four computers w/Sonos controller software. My theatre is tied to one zone. I use Lutron Spacer lighting control.)

92-inch Infocus Theatre
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 01:56 PM
Arrow Don't Rule Out Squeezebox

I don't know Russound and believe that Sonos is very good but, I would not rule out Logitech Squeezebox as they now have interesting integrated devices (like a boom box) that may be of interest to you (not discussed in the Sonos article). WiFi is a bit weak but if you are running wires, you may have a simple, cost-effective solution with Squeezebox.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 02:28 PM
Member #1
Sonos is very nice and will do exactly what you want but it can be expensive.

If you're more concerned with audio quality and cost then I would consider speakers hardwired to a multizone amp.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 2009-11-25, 08:54 PM
I was in the same boat a few months ago. I haven't set it all up yet, but what I am doing is
1 Logitech squeezebox duet $349
5 Logitech squeezebox receivers 5 x $139
6 Audio Source Stereo Amps refurbished 6 x $69

I ran all the wiring down to the basement.

Right now I am just running two receivers right now until we get into the house, but I am really liking how it works.

The amps automatically turn on when music is fed through them and use little power in standby. Squeezebox software can run on a computer, a variety of NAS devices or they have an online site that you can run your stuff off that.

Over all I wanted something enjoyable without breaking the bank.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.