Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Mythtv

76K views 397 replies 31 participants last post by  mwalma 
#1 ·
Mythtv has announced version 0.22 release candidate 1 is now available. Hopefully all goes well and a stable 0.22 will come out shortly.

The release notes are here.

#388 ·
I forgot to ask what version of MythTV you are using. There were some issues with the channel scanner a while back, but I think they have been fixed in recent builds. I am always running close to current code, so it's hard to recall when things were broken and/or fixed.

Tom

#390 ·
dynomac: I recommend Handbrake to transcode recordings for long term storage.

I used to use mencoder but you're right it's quite outdated. I switched to handbrake and find it does a much better job. It's got a good CLI (Command Line) version which makes it easy to write scripts to handle all the types of custom inverse-telecine/de-interlacing options you might want. Like mencoder it uses the x264 codec but also uses the more modern container formats like .mp4 and .mkv instead of .avi.

#391 ·
One nice thing about handbrake is it will automatically crop out the black bars (letter and pillar boxes). One issue I have had though is some of TVO's UK programming is window-boxed with a 14:9 aspect ratio. Handbrake does the right thing and will remove all the black bars and MythVideo will play the resulting file just fine. The issue is if I then try to use MythArchive to put the video on a DVD, it will stretch it to 16:9 (distorting the picture) when it should be either letter boxing it to 4:3 or pillarboxing it to 16:9.

Any suggestions for fixing this?

#394 ·
I haven't, but In this thread I tried to explain what I do for adhoc channels/feeds that I haven't bothered to setup in mythtv. Works great.

#398 ·
A script to scrape the CBC website for schedule info for mythtv

Hello all,

I've written a little python script to scrape the CBC web site for scheduling information and put the results in to an xmltv/mythfilldatabase compatible form. You use it like this:

# ./scraper 2012/05/21 > sched_20120521.xml
# mythfilldatabase --update --file 1 sched_20120521.xml

Since I rely on the PSIP info for my EPG, and CBC does not provide, this allows me to get CBC scheduling.

Would this be of interest to anyone - I would be happy to share it - or is there a better thread to discuss this?

If you are interested and grabbing a copy now, surf to newmovies.walma.org and right-click to download scraper.py. It is very rough and does no input sanatizing or exception catching, so use it carefully. It also depends on "beautiful soup" for html parsing, which, if you are using some flavour of linux, should be available through your package manager. There are some comments in the code which will give some hints to getting it working.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.