Western Digital WD TV Live and Live Plus HD Media Player - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-12, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Western Digital WD TV Live and Live Plus HD Media Player

WDTV Live with networking. Thought I had my mind made up with the Asus O!Play...

Edit: This thread is for the following models

WDBAAN0000NBK WDTV Live (1st Gen)
WDBABX0000NBK WDTV Live Plus (2nd Gen)

For information on the WDBHG70000NBK WDTV Live (3rd Gen) model see this thread.
Western Digital WD TV Live 3rd gen (Streaming Media Player)

Last edited by Jake; 2011-12-23 at 09:57 AM. Reason: updated model information and link to 3rd gen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 10:39 PM

I split this thread off the WDTV product thread. It is for discussing this product only. For the original WDTV or O!Play media players please refer to the dedicated threads.

Discussion of previous version
Western Digital HD Media Player questions

WD TV Live Micro Site
http://wdtvlive.com/

WD TV Live HD Media Player Specifications
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=735

WD TV Live User Manual
http://www.wdc.com/WDProducts/Librar...779-705035.pdf

Last edited by Jake; 2009-10-15 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added links
post #3 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-14, 11:06 PM

Ordered today should get it tomorrow or fri, will review

post #4 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-15, 11:47 AM

Let us know how the networking abilities/capacity work out. That is what hardware you are linking it to and what services you are running. I wonder if you have a large library how it knows when to refresh or how long it takes to index the contents.
post #5 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-15, 03:15 PM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Had a basic setup running in 3 minutes or less. A local usb drive with some files on it, HDMI to the TV, power.

Unfortunately, the networking is flakey. Sometimes it connects to my windows shares, sometimes not. It can "see" my NAS drives, but doesn't locate any shares on them. This could be a poor implementation of samba on the NAS drives, but other windows and linux boxes don't have a problem.

I connected one of my 1TB NAS drives as a local USB drive. It took about 5 minutes to scan the 500GB of music, pictures and videos.

The options are pretty basic, but for $130 I guess I can't complain. I'm replacing/upgrading from an Xbox/XBMC.

Fortunately, the local USB drive is shared (without security though) on the network so I can still use it as a NAS device and copy my file up to it.

It would be nice to "save" a particular folder as the default root for videos. Save a few button presses.

The unit is extremely small. The remote about half the size of a standard remote, not that I plan on using it.

All-in-all it probably took me longer to reprogram my harmony 880 than it did to set this thing up.

I'm not a big fan of LEDs on the front so had to put black tape over the USB LED that flashes on disk access. I left the power LED uncovered.

Playback of SD avi files was flawless. Same for a couple of 720p mkv files. I have a 1080p wmv file, but it played back with no audio (but I don't have digital audio hooked up right now - and the clip only had dig aud track). A vob file also worked well.
post #6 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-15, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Wondering about audio playback (down-converting ?) as don't have a HDMI receiver. Would connect directly to the TV (1080P) with a HDMI cable.
post #7 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-15, 09:28 PM

Down converting from what? HD audio? If DD or DTS then optical works perfectly fine on the Live.
post #8 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-15, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

new to this stuff. Guess wondering if something was 5.1 and I plugged directly to the TV via HDMI cable (not using optical) would I get audio on the TV?
post #9 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-16, 08:10 AM

I will leave that question to the experts. But I do not see why not. That is if your TV can handle the 5.1 audio. Since TVs are 2.0 it would seem most likely. People have complained to WD in the past about the lack of DTS-down-mixing to two channels. I never had a need for that since I use a DTS capable receiver and a 5.1 speaker set.
post #10 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-16, 09:15 AM

No expert here, just casual user...I can confirm DTS-MA does work via HDMI to my LCD after the audio on the WDTV-L is selected to stereo (decode to 2.0 I guess)

In the mean time, True HD does not work at all. No 2.0 support via HDMI, no downmix via SPDIF either. I suppose it'll work with an HDMI decoding receiver.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #11 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-16, 10:58 AM

For the sake of discussion I have listed the 4 possible audio formats that can only be carried digitally and over HDMI. There is also PCM and analog but for the sake of discussion I will those out. As these formats are confirmed to work in the Live I will make a note here.

There are 4 HD audio formats. Two from DTS and two from Dolby. One lossy and one lossless.

DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (Lossy)
Typical Max Data Rate: 6Mbps
Sampling (kHz/bit): 96/24 8 channels

DTS-HD Master Audio (Lossless)
Typical Max Data Rate: 24.5Mbps
Sampling(kHz/bit): 192/24 2 channels
Sampling(kHz/bit): 96/24 8 channels

Dolby True HD (Lossless)
Typical Max Data Rate: 18Mbps
Sampling(kHz/bit): 192/24 2 channels
Sampling(kHz/bit): 96/24 8 channels

Dolby Digital Plus (Lossy)
Typical Max Data Rate: 3Mbps
Sampling(kHz/bit): 48/24 8 channels
post #12 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-16, 12:01 PM

Good to know and all I need is a decoding HDMI receiver in the near future.

As a side note - out of the 4 sound formats you mentioned, the WDTV is downmixing to 2.0 except TrueHD...It does matter if you don't have an HDMI decoding receiver.

It certainly will be nice if all sound formats are downmixed to DD5.1 or DTS.

Well, the good thing is, HDMI receivers are not that expensive these days.

LG55LW5000/DenonAVR791/MirageOMD5+Nanosat+MM8/ClearStream2/CM7778+3414
OptomaHD33/YamahaRXV1075/KEF3005/Velo15"
post #13 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-16, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Picked mine up today and I'm happy. Way slicker than having my USB drive plugged into my laptop in turn hooked up to the TV.

Now just to get it to see my shared drives on my desktop.
post #14 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-17, 02:36 PM

I picked one up too but so far I'm not too happy with it. The networking is definitely flaky. I have a Windows Storage Server 2008 NAS with a dozen or so shares on it. When I first set it up it saw the shares no problem and could play the media on it just fine. However, after playing a movie for about half an hour it suddenly stopped and an error popped up that said something like "cannot connect to network". I tried to get it to see my server again but no dice. I tried powering it off, unplugging it, etc. yet it still wouldn't see anything on the network. I then turned on my Xbox running XBMC that is connected to the same switch and it could see all of the shares just fine and played movies no problem. At that point I didn't feel like messing with the WDTV so I just turned it off.

The next day I decided to try it again and when I first turned it on it could see the NAS once again but after playing a movie for about 20 minutes it crapped out again. Same symptoms - it would not see anything on the network, even after cycling the power. I'm wondering if it might have some kind of overheating issue because it seems strange that even power cycling it doesn't clear the problem.

Now I'm not sure what to do with this thing. I bought it online so returning it will be a bit of a pain. I've been doing some searching and it seems a lot of people are having networking issues so I'm hopeful that WD will come out with a fix soon enough. It was only $150 total with shipping and taxes so I'm probably just going to keep it for now and wait for a fix but I'm still bummed that this thing is pretty much useless for me for now.
post #15 of 401 (permalink) Old 2009-10-18, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Still amazed with the idea of the WDTV Live (and similiar units), PQ seems good for the avi files I have on a USB drive connected to the unit. YoutubeHD great problem is still can't see the shared folders on my computer.

From a desktop computer can move files off and on the WDTVLive, play them on the PC etc. Followed instructions for sharing, turned off the Windows Firewall, turned on the user guest account, run the Network Setup Wizard, but no luck. I have connected a laptop to the router and can see the shared files on the desktop with it so appears no problem with the share.

Looking around on different forums and not alone with network hassles but not seeing any fixes. Any suggestions here?

I'm XP (SP3), wired connection with a Trendnet router (TEW-432BRP) that shows on the supported list.

Last edited by das75; 2009-10-18 at 03:22 PM. Reason: laptop comment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.