Western Digital WD TV Live and Live Plus HD Media Player - Page 27 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #391 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-08-26, 08:20 PM

No worries - I wasn't doubting that you did. I just thought it may be useful for you to know specifically what device you have before troubleshooting. I'm certain that anything pre-SMP (Streaming Media Player) does not have DRM and does not run Netflix or I'll eat my hat. Unless I'm wrong, then the bet's off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-08-26, 09:01 PM
Rookie

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (3rd Gen.)...

But alas, not my fix by logging out of all devices.. When I check their troubleshooting, last error comes back as: Network / 3 / Host not fount /.

But the reason I'm not exclusively looking at Netflix as my issue (even though I can hit up YouTube fine). When I go to Setup | System | Check Latest Firmware ... I get "The device fails to check for new firmware update. Please check network connection...." As I can get online, don't believe this is in fact the case.. I don't see a ton of YouTube video's being cached.

More suggestions?
post #393 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-08-26, 09:08 PM

It may be Google time.

There some Netflix error codes here for various devices including WDTV

https://support.netflix.com/en/all-content

post #394 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-08-26, 09:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks... I'll dig through hopefully tonight... already flipped on a movie... hopefully I'll be responding with the fix.
post #395 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-08-26, 11:35 PM
Rookie

Nothing I see on Neflix support, but see there is a firmware update I'm missing.. Currently 1.15.10 but per WD support it should be 1.16.13 (7/2013 which could be around when it stopped)
post #396 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-08-26, 11:48 PM
Rookie

LOL me again... Another symptom... Setup / System / Set time & Country / Reset Location... Reset location failed
post #397 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-09-01, 08:53 AM

I was getting tired of using an xBox 360 as my media streaming device of choice so I recently bought a WD Live at Costco for $97 (which included an HDMI cable). First impressions have been reasonably positive. It's not the fastest device on the planet but has yet to choke on any of my files. Takes up a lot less space and uses a lot less hydro than the xBox.
post #398 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-09-01, 10:58 AM

I suspect if you find a file that it chokes on it will be due to a network issue. I've had a Live G2 for 4-5 years and never once had problems playing a file (except for AAC 5.1 audio needing to be converted on a select few files). It's also a whole lot quieter than that ol' windbag XBox...
post #399 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-09-01, 12:06 PM
Rookie

Thanks for these updates, reminded me I was going to post my update... I'm still please with the WD Live, after getting no where searching online, I actually opened a support ticket with WD. Rep called me and promptly decided the geo-locator (term he used) was faulty, and they were going to replace my unit.
post #400 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-10-02, 12:53 PM

Improved audio via optical

For the record : I have been delivering audio (WD SMP) to my audio receiver as a pass through optical off the TV which was getting signal off HDMI. I was not happy with sound quality so today changed to direct optical . Seems to have made a difference! Wish WD would use improved descriptive terms CEC??? etc Did most set up changes trial & error worked using dolby digital setting . Would DBS or ? Be better
post #401 of 401 (permalink) Old 2013-10-02, 01:04 PM

Dave could you explain a bit more. So is it HDMI from SMP to TV and SPDIF optical from TV to AVR? I didn't think that would actually work or it would downgrade the audio to stereo.

Is your ARV indicating any different audio formats or resolutions when you changed it?

What is DBS?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.