Confused Newbie...I want cable on my Laptop - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-28, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Confused Newbie...I want cable on my Laptop

I have a laptop (Core2Duo T7500, 3 MB RAM 250 GB Hard Drive) running Vista Home Premium. I purchased a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick (800e). I tried to run the software it came with but it would not install. I am able to run it on Windows Media Center and, I guess, that is ok since I read bad things about the Pinnacle software. It is running fine when I connect an antenna to it, but I dont have great reception - I realize that is the antenna / placement but that is not my concern now. My current frustration is I am unable to connect to my cable and see any channels. Can someone please tell me how to do this? I want to be able to record a football game next week.

Thanks in advance.
SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-29, 11:49 AM
OTA Forum Moderator

If you are in Canada you can only record from analogue cable channels because you will not receive digital (encrypted QAM) cable channels with that device.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-29, 06:48 PM
Veteran

Unless you get a Hauppauge HD-PVR unit that has component inputs.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 12:46 AM

An analog tuner would pick up analog cable. A digital tuner will only do OTA unless you're in one of the rare areas with clearQAM channels.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 04:17 PM
Veteran

And it makes less sense to do this with a laptop since you will have to be wired to your cable system and the screen size is pretty small. Who wants to watch TV on a 15" screen? The whole point of a laptop is the portability.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 05:01 PM

I watch TV on my laptop all the time. It certainly wouldn't work for a group of people, but for just me with the screen on my lap it's more than enough.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-08-31, 05:02 PM
Veteran

That's also an effective method of birth control http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/17664.php

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.