Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-14, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike infinity View Post
FYI:

I recently had a mechanical failure in the system drive of my HTPC. When I did a fresh install I decided to setup WMC differently. Instead of using the hack, I ran setup while routed through a VPN (effectively a USA ip address). Everything works beautifully (2x digital and 1x analog tuner). Once setup is complete WMC will behave normally with guide updates, etc with no need for VPN.
What are your sources? Is atsc guide listings working for Canada Ota channels?

How do I remove the atsc hack?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Wayne:

Sorry, this is going to be somewhat painful but should work.

Step 1: Set up your Rogers cable, get the guide ID from the about page
Step 2: Set up again using the US Zipcode, select a digital cable provider (looks like this is done)
Step 3: Modify the MXF and XML files for Toronto to replace guide ID with the one you got from step 1.
Step 4: Modify the XML file for Toronto to invert US and CA in the scheduled task setup
Step 5: Run USGuide.bat, you should now have the listings for Rogers cable
Step 6: Manually remap all of the digital cable channels, Guide Tool may help with this

The guideID you're seeing in the hack currently is likely the guide ID for ATSC from the Buffalo area.

Pete
post #48 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 01:33 PM
Veteran

To do step 1 will I have to change my country setting to Canada? Will that cause any problems with other US-only stuff that I may have set up - like the Netflix plugin and Hulu desktop? Is this step just to get the GuideID? If so can I just do that on another PC and then retrieve that number. Or could I just ask anyone else in Ontario for the GuideID number - I only really care about channels 100-499 and above and that is the same for everyone in Ontario I think.

If I do step 1 on my main HTPC then I guess I will have to redo step 2 since it will require a US ID, correct?

post #49 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Wayne:

Correct on all fronts. Shouldn't cause any issues with the US-specific stuff as you'll be setting it back to US in step 2. You could easily get the guideID from another machine or another user, but it'll need to be a machine with the STB hardware all set up in order to get the guide for rogers digital.

Sorry, I'm in Cogeco territory or I'd get it for you.

Pete
post #50 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 06:41 PM
Veteran

Thanks Peter - I think I have an unused PVR150 around somewhere. I will throw that in another Win7 PC and run the setup to see what I get for the Guide ID. I will then post it here for future reference.
post #51 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

You'll need to plug in your IR blaster too I'm guessing.
post #52 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-19, 01:08 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnear View Post
You could easily get the guideID from another machine or another user, but it'll need to be a machine with the STB hardware all set up in order to get the guide for rogers digital.

Sorry, I'm in Cogeco territory or I'd get it for you.
On second thought - does it matter if I use a Cogeco Guide ID? Isn't the object here to just get all of the Canadian digital cable channels into MC. Cogeco has (pretty much) the exact same digital cable lineup as Rogers. Can you please send me your Guide ID and I will try it?

edit - What I mean is that it doesn't matter if the channel numbers are correct, I just need the channels in the system, right?
post #53 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 12:18 AM

Pnear,

I am new to windows media center and am quite enjoying it. I have a canadian atsc antenna and a american set top box as my sources. I first ran the hack to scan ota from a canadian postal code, and I am able to get my ota channels. I then setup my system of a us zip to get the guide number to use. I cannot get any guide info from my ota, and the guide wont update for the us source. currently i am set to a us zip, and I have tried running the guide update with my vpn running and still no go.

how do I fix this, and what are my options? is there a way to reset and start over?

when I run the USbat file it says it already exists and errors. I have no idea where to find this file.

Thanks for the help.
post #54 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 12:31 AM

did you right click Run As Administrator when starting the .bat files
post #55 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 02:17 AM

yes, they all worked but the usbat, says the file exists is there a way to remove the hack? get us guide and cdn atsc guide?
post #56 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 02:21 AM

In another thread, Peter advised me to remove the Scheduled Task under Control Panel before rerunning the usguide.bat file.
post #57 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClgShaft View Post
What are your sources? Is atsc guide listings working for Canada Ota channels?

How do I remove the atsc hack?
I have two atsc tuners and one analog tuner.

The guide is working perfectly for both Canadian and us listings ota... I can't get listings for wcfe PBS though because zap2it doesn't list them for any USA address close to Ottawa.
post #58 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClgShaft View Post
yes, they all worked but the usbat, says the file exists is there a way to remove the hack? get us guide and cdn atsc guide?
As I said for me enabling vpn and selecting a nearby USA city worked perfectly for USA and Canadian channels...no hack is required.
post #59 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 10:13 AM

Mike, for Ottawa listings, you'll find WCFE/WNPI/WNYF in zipcode 13662 and I asked zap2it to add some missing Ottawa channels (CKXT,CBOFT,CITY) under that same 13662 - so they should show up eventually.
Ottawa/Orleans Windows 7 Media Center guide setup
post #60 of 459 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 08:46 PM

Thanks mike.

So how do I remove the hack?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.