Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 08:32 PM
Veteran

Sorry about the necropost, but why start a new thread? I finally got around to putting an OTA tuner in my WinMC machine (which is a backup to my main Sage system). Is there any way to get guide data for channels that are OTA only such as NBC Universal Sports (2.2) Thinkbright (17.3) or qubo (51.2 I think)?

In Sage you can get guide data for these channels as long as you can find a channel ID on Zap2it that Sage carries. Is there any similar "hack" with WinMC? For example I can get guide data in Sage for qubo by editing the channel and using ID 54596. I think WinMC uses Zap2it for guide data as well, doesn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 10:38 PM

Look at the Multiple Listings link in the first post of this thread. There is a file to download and once you run it, it creates an automated task to download the OTA listings for your area before it downloads your Cable or Sat provider listings. I use it myself and it works beautifully (of course I can count on one hand the number of times I've watched RTV, Universal Sports or Thinkbright).
post #18 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-09-05, 10:52 PM
Veteran

Thanks Jeneral. I haven't watched those channels much either but Universal Sports is starting to carry rugby and I am a rugby fan. They are supposed to by carrying next year's Rugby World Cup - in Canada you have to sub to Sentanta sports ($15/month) to get this and they don't carry many of the matches live. It would be nice if they fixed the blurry visions though! I think Universal Sports did carry some Olympic Sports as well during the Vancouver Olympics.

qubo is very useful if you have young kids, but it does have infomercials and commercials.

post #19 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 11:21 AM

Thanks to pnear for these amazing links. This is an old thread, but still a must read for any Canadian 7MC users seeking to get the best out of their system.
post #20 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-05, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Lostandconfused: You're welcome!
post #21 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 09:10 PM

Peter, you wouldn't have any hints on when Netflix could be coming to 7mc in Canada ?
post #22 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-06, 11:12 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
Peter, you wouldn't have any hints on when Netflix could be coming to 7mc in Canada ?
Or any hints on tweaking the US one to work for us? ;-) We can log in we just see the wrong DB.
post #23 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-07, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Personally, I'm underwhelmed with the content available on this side of the iron curtain of digital media. So I haven't bothered...

That said, I happen to know the Netflix MC developer so I'll see what I can find out.
post #24 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-09, 11:38 AM
Rookie

thank you so much. greatly appreciate it. any help is good
post #25 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-14, 07:40 AM

PlayOn and Netflix Canada

Hello,

I just found out that PlayOn v3.0.23 (www.playon.tv) has the Netflix addon adapted to work for Netflix Canada.

After you install and configure PlayOn to have it enabled in Media Center (Vista or Windows 7) you have to use vmcPlayIt

http://myweb.cableone.net/eluttmann0...t/default.html
post #26 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-22, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

So, I have the developer's attention but I don't know what the issues are. The "right" answer is that Microsoft fixes the app. However this isn't looking too likely so we'll see if we can hack it. Can you help me answer this question?

"What is the problem you’re running into in Canada? Does the application install but just not run?"

Pete
post #27 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-22, 03:26 PM

From someone who's not really looks deeply into it:

When going under Movies, the Netflix icon is not there.
I go through Settings/General/Automatic download options/Download now, and the Netflix plugin does not automagically install.

So i guess the plugin does not install for me. I'm guessing a hack should start with that...
post #28 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-22, 11:14 PM
Veteran

Check my thread here on getting it to actually show up on the strip. Post #9.

Netflix in Windows Media Center

Peter, it allows us to log in with our user / pass, but we see the US selection of movies not the Canadian one. If we select a title it doesn't play, I am assuming because of geo locking. I thought of trying it with a VPN or something to see if it would let me play, but I just haven't had time to tinker with it. We also see all the disc borrowing stuff that is not available to us. That doesn't bother me too much if we would only see our Canadian titles. Hopefully other can chime in and add to this.

I was really hoping MS could fix this in time for Windows 7 SP1. That would be a nice treat for sure!!
post #29 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-24, 11:21 PM

so to summarize, you change your locale to US, then force a 7mc update using the command line, which is probably the same as clicking Download Now as mentioned above. Then Netflix icon appears.

Do you then change back your locale to Canada in 7mc ? If you do change back to Canada locale, do you still have the Netflix icon showing ?

I like your procedure - you must be getting the official Netflix plugin under 7mc which is the one we're hoping Microsoft could fix.
post #30 of 460 (permalink) Old 2010-10-25, 11:33 AM
Veteran

That I don't know, I didn't try setting it back. I would assume it goes away after you switch it back. Yes, as far as I can tell it is the official Netflix plug-in.

For now I have IE9 Beta installed and just have a Netflix icon on my taskbar. Hopefully Pete can help us out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.