Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-08, 12:40 AM

In Ottawa, the USA setup zipcode to use is 13662.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 07:32 AM
Rookie

Hey everyone. I'm in Toronto just bought the Channel Master 4221 antenna but having issues with Media Center after following these guides. I connected the antenna to my HD TV directly and it got 25 HD channels all look perfect and clear. I then did a fresh install of Win 7 on my PC with my Hauppage 1600 WinTV card and first ran the enable ATSC hack on here and then had media center scan for channels. It did its scan but only found 8 for some reason. I then tried to manually add the rest of them.

Someone on here said you put the virtual channel as the 9-1 for example then under frequency you put the actual channel number. So for CTV I tried 9-1 and then 9 for frequency. Media centre worked picked it up fine. However when I add global, NBC, ABC, PBS, OMNI etc none of them work. I'm using the frequencies from remote central, so Global for example I put 41-1 and then frequency 41. Media Centre just shows a black screen and after 30 seconds says can't get the channel check the antenna.

When connected to my TV I have the option to have the TV show me the channel strength. Each of those channels is 100% fully green, where as others that are like 20% and red come up in media center, so it can't be strength. Even if I use the built in thing in media center to view channel strength it shows a high signal on these channels, I just can't seem to tune them. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or missing something here? Is it possible that it's a cabling issue even though my HDTV picks them up no problem? 25 to 8 seems like a huge amount to have media centre not be able to receive though.
post #213 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 10:38 AM

oshkosh, get yourself a TVFool report. It will tell you the real and virtual numbers you can input in 7mc.

1- Are you using a different cable than what went to your TV, and are you now splitting the signal ? If the cable ends are not done properly, you will lose at lot of signal. Look for compression type connectors if you want a job well done.

2- You should try to scan the channels with the same cable at the same location, without splits, same as when you did it with your TV.

3- Your Hauppauge 1600 is not as good as your TV tuner. It is my worst tuner for sensitivity. But check the above points first.

post #214 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 10:43 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the help. The cabling is the same as the one going into the TV I literally unplugged and plugged into the PC. It is split though and is travelling a long distance as I just hooked this up as a test.

What I did was disconnected the antenna and moved the PC upstairs and connected directly to the antenna using a 6' cable. This time it picked up 20 channels on the media centre, almost all except CityTV. So seems like it's just picky and the distance and cabling used.

The weird thing though is I face south and my bedroom is on the 3rd floor so I just quickly set up my ChannelMaster to face south off the balcony. The TV got all 25 channels right away. When using media centre, if I would turn the antenna slightly one way, I'd lose global and get another, then turn it another way and visa versa. So I guess it's partially the 1600 just not being that great of a tuner. I didn't realize it wasn't that good but at least seems to have solved the problem. Going to do proper wiring soon and will see how many channels I get. Thanks!
post #215 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 12:26 PM
Rookie

This might be a dumb question but if I have an antenna and 1 WinTV card and I get every channel except City (and if I move the antenna I then get city plus every channel but not Global), can I get a second antenna just for city and then have the 2 connect to my WinTV card using a splitter? Or would I need to buy 2 WinTV cards with one being just for City?
post #216 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-09, 12:37 PM

There's a some ways, but also some gotchas to combine antennas, you can have a look here (you can have worse results): Stacking, Ganging, Combining TV Antennas

The easiest is if you have 2 dedicated tuners for your 2 antennas. You can tell Media Center which channels tuner A+AntennaA can get and which channels tuner B+AntennaB can get, and Media Center will do the rest. This is under the Sources option when you Edit Channel. You would only do this change under Sources for your 2 problematic channels, Media Center could record any other channel from any of the 2 available tuners.
post #217 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 09:34 PM
Rookie

Thanks makes sense.

I need some more help pulling my hair out. The other day I installed Windows 7 on my new desktop from scratch, installed my HVR-1600 card, and then ran the enable ATSC bat file. I then set it up according to the directions and all worked well. I then did the enable multiple guide listings to get all the listings.

I was having issues with my Xbox connecting so I formatted and did a fresh install. Before setting up the TV I tested the Xbox and now it does work which is good, however I'm having trouble setting up the TV.

I ran the enable ATSC bat file but this time I accidentally ran the multiple guide listing file as well before I tried to set anything up in media center. Now when I set it up I enter canada, and my postal code, it then does the detecting tuner settings. AFter awhile it comes back and says it detected 1 ATSC tuner so I click next to set it up. It then pops up saying Guide Listings not available, ATSC guide listings are not available for your area. I click okay. Then it says it is going to set up media center using my 1 ATSC tuner so I click next. It then immediately says setup failed and cannot continue for an unknown reason.

Any ideas how to fix this? The only thing I did differently was run the multiple guide listing hack before setting up the TV, other than that it's 100% the same as the other day.
post #218 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 08:09 AM
Rookie

Sorry everyone ignore my last question I got it sorted out had to uninstall media centre and delete it's database files. I just have one last question because I want to make sure I'm doing this all properly. After playing with this late into the night, I seem to have guide and everything working but I just want to be sure. It seems like the instructions for the multiple guide hack assume you have local cable or something to actually get local guide data.

*My setup is I'm in Toronto beaches, have a CM4221, I have no cable, satellite anything just antenna as I just cancelled FibeTV*

1) I enabled the ATSC hack for Media Centre and ran the setup for Canada with my postal code. It detected the ATSC but I said do manual setup and I selected that I have cable. I then said set up digital ATSC tuner and it showed it would set it up with the 2 tuners.

2) This downloaded all of the local channel data as SD since I picked cable. I tried digital cable but it wanted an IR blaster and wouldn't detect mine but I assume picking analog only means it doesn't show the HD icon on the guide?

3) I then ran the USGuide.bat file as administrator and first selected 4 for Toronto. That loaded guide data in for the US channels in the area like Buffalo ones.

4) When I went into Guide settings in media center, I was then able to edit listings on all the channels, using the Rogers digital cable guide data for the local channels, and then the US data for the Buffalo ones.

So everything seems to work. But I have a few questions. First off, is what I did correct? My concern is that in Media Centre if I click Get Latest Guide Listings, it says the thing about downloading the guide listings you will be notified when the download is complete.

A minute or so later it pops up saying guide download error, guide could not be downloaded etc. So that's the only thing that concerns me but I'm not sure if that's normal, as the USGuide.bat script I think is what is downloading the guide daily and not media center? Or is this error just referring to the ATSC guide data? Is there any way to check the status of the USGuide script? I'm just concerned that I'll have the TV running, go away on business and family will call one day saying there's no guide or something.

Last edited by oshkosh; 2011-11-11 at 08:42 AM.
post #219 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-14, 07:49 PM

If you don't have satellite or cable just set your system up using a u.s. zip code in Buffalo.
No need to enable ATSC or import guide info from another source.
The only trick is to find the zip code that will include all the channels you receive. Go to the zap2it website and try a few out.
post #220 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-11-16, 07:45 PM

Some posts moved/removed. Please keep this thread to issues regarding WMC in Canada.
post #221 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 10:27 PM

Question WMC schedule information missing for Global?

I just noticed that the WMC (Vista in my case) no longer supplies schedule-info on Global Calgary. All other channels are fine, just CICT-DT is not longer there. The loading also takes much longer...

Anybody else experiencing the same problem?
post #222 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-12-01, 11:04 PM

Peter, for people using the hack in Ottawa, I suggest we move to use zipcode 13662 = guide ID 189852611. It's working quite well. Let me know if you can change it to default to this zipcode instead for Ottawa in the script.

This setup has all the channels we need in Ottawa. I am using the custom option with this zipcode and others have followed with no issues.
post #223 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

Will do. I'm also considering a major rewrite to accommodate the fact that many more people are going ATSC-only. Now to see if I get the time to do it, likely over the holidays.
post #224 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 10:29 AM

For ATSC only in Ottawa, I found the US zipcode has everything I need so a USA setup is perfect.

For other regions, they could do the same as I did; ask zap2it to add the missing canadian/US channels for their target USA zipcode near the border. It is quite a reasonable request since I think all of the channels I asked for could be watched at the border with good equipment.
post #225 of 460 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

True, but that won't help people in Edmonton so I'll need to get the Canadian HDTV guide import a bit more streamlined.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.