Windows 7 Media Center in Canada (ATSC, QAM, Logos) - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 07:56 PM
Rookie

@grungymegajeff

I have noticed that in the past week, the guide has been stable -- no missing or deleted channels. I am not really sure what happened. i think it must have been a guide update issue that hopefully they fixed. Still, it is puzzling that a guide update can actually delete your channel lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 08:03 PM

I have noticed that if I use guidetool to add some missing channels along with the hack that some of the channels will then fail to update.

Any ideas?
post #153 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 11:08 PM
Rookie

Problem with 12.1 in WMC7

I thought that my Hauppauge 1600 sensitivity was low because I cannot get the channel 12.1 with Windows Media Center. I have installed Media Portal to see if the problem is related to WMC or the TV tuner. Media Portal scan easily the 12.1 channel.
I learned that we must enterred the channel manually because it's in the VHF band. I did it like I did for channel 10.1. Channel 10.1 works fine but not the 12.1 (no signal)
Do Anybody have the same problem??
post #154 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-22, 11:26 PM

mstgermain, sometimes the problem is with the PSIP information that your station broadcasts. Media Center can be a bit picky and if the station does not meet the exact spec, like matching TSIDs in different places they are used, Media Center will not tune to the station, while other software will. We recently had a problem like this with Global, and the Shaw folks (Global owners) fixed it when we let them know the mismatched TSIDs we found in CIII-Ottawa. Have a look at this so you can do the same for your channel 12:
http://experts.windows.com/w/experts...ia-center.aspx
post #155 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 07:30 AM

mstgermain, I use "TSReader" to pre-scan for new or signal anomilies. It gives you the full signal info described below and installs in seconds. It may also be used to trim antenna position for strongest reception.
post #156 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 09:39 AM

In case it is not clear, TSReader Lite version will do just what you need for free...
post #157 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavoie View Post
mstgermain, sometimes the problem is with the PSIP information that your station broadcasts. Media Center can be a bit picky and if the station does not meet the exact spec, like matching TSIDs in different places they are used, Media Center will not tune to the station, while other software will. We recently had a problem like this with Global, and the Shaw folks (Global owners) fixed it when we let them know the mismatched TSIDs we found in CIII-Ottawa. Have a look at this so you can do the same for your channel 12:
http://experts.windows.com/w/experts...ia-center.aspx
Just to clarify for others...for whatever reason some channels will still require manual input as WMC will not detect them in a channel scan.

Here in Ottawa I have to enter 6.1 global (RC 6) 9.1 CBOFT (RC 9) and 13.1 CTV1 (RC 13) manually and assign guide listings using the 13662 postal code and PNEAR's hack.

At least WMC will now tune these channels...but it can't see them in a scan. TSreader helps because it will pick up all stations you are able to receive in a scan.
post #158 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 10:52 AM

good point Mike.
post #159 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 08:04 PM
Rookie

I have installed TSReader, but I'm stucked in the first panel. I have a Scan button, but it doesn't work.
Anyway if I can make it work, what can I do with this software to solve my problem with channel 12.1?
post #160 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-23, 11:11 PM

Start TSReader while holding down the Ctrl key this will bring up the dialogue box where you select the signal input. click ATSC DVBsource.
then the program will open and you should be able to scan.
TSReader provides you with the transport stream info that is required to manually enter a channel in WMC. I cannot speak to that as I use a different progam called NPVR which I prefer above WMC or Media Portal

With TSReader you will be able to quickly scan for all channels and see the signal strength of a selected channel.
post #161 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 08:08 AM
Rookie

Oh great!!! Now TSReader works fine!!! Thank you very much!!

I fanally solve my problem by deleting the channel 12.1 in WMC, closed WMC, re-open it and recreating the channel 12.1. Now it works!!
post #162 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 07:48 AM

Global 41-1 disappeared

Did anyone else in the GTA using WMC7 notice global CIII-DT 41.1 was replaced with CIII-DT on VHF 6? Zap2it must have the wrong channel listing for zip 14174. I recreated it manually any copied the listing from CIII-DT 6. It's getting pretty annoying, everytime I open up media centre I have to fix a station or two.
post #163 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 09:49 AM

That probably has nothing to do with it, and I don't see how it could have affected it because i am from Ottawa, but just in case... as part of my request to zap2it to add some missing channels for Massena NY (which is close to Ottawa on the border), I asked them to replace the analog CIIIOT 6 with the digital CIIIDT6 6.1 for Massena zip 13662. CIIIDT6 6.1 was already showing up under my Ottawa zipcode. They ended up keeping both the analog and digital one on the guide.

I think the Ottawa signal is a simple re-broadcast of Global Toronto with some swapped TSIDs and a different channel number.
post #164 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 04:01 PM
Rookie

I hope this is the best thread to post my question in, if not, please direct me.

I live in Kingston, ON.
I have two tuner cards, one for ATSC antenna which I have been using for a while perfectly.

I bought a new one to try to set up with cogeco QAM. I tested the channels using the built in tuner in my TV and picked up the major networks from Canada and the US and a bunch of music channels.

I set up my tuner as digital cable in kingston, (ignoring the antenna tuner for now) and scanned, but no channels came up. The signal is clearly there because my TV picked it up fine but the tuner scanned for 20+ minutes and picked up nothing.

Any thoughts to why?
post #165 of 455 (permalink) Old 2011-10-11, 07:03 PM
Rookie

Ignore my last post, I found the solution:

http://www.hdtvtunerinfo.com/win7mcqamsetup.html

It was scanning properly, it just wasn't initially displaying them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.