Thoughts on HD quality of TV shows from iTunes - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-23, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Thoughts on HD quality of TV shows from iTunes

I am currently mulling over downloading 30 Rock Season 3 via iTunes or ATV but at $62, I am wondering what the quality is like.

Anyone care to voice an opinion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-23, 12:55 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
I have all seasons of 30 Rock in HD from iTunes. The quality is great. There's not a lot of action or anything in the scenes so macro-blocking is never an issue. If I were to compare it to the quality of the OTA and Cable broadcast equivalent, it's definitely on par.

In fact, all of the HD shows I've downloaded from iTunes for ATV are exceptionally nice looking.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-23, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Thanks Cyclism. That's exactly what I want to hear.

Now instead of buying them myself, I'll just come over and watch them at your place and save even more money!

BTW, did you buy them through ATV or iTunes. If through ATV, can you synch them back to itunes?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-23, 01:13 PM

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.
I bought them through iTunes, save them on an external HDD, and then use iTunes to stream them to my ATV. Flawless.

I've never bought anything directly from the ATV. I've only rented movies with it. But you can transfer files from the ATV to your computer with iTunes. I've just never tried it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-23, 06:27 PM

Echo the remarks by Cyclism. I haven't rented 30 Rock (television about television is off my list), but I've been watching shows I wanted to sample to see if I liked them e.g. The Wire.
Both SD and HD have been flawless, even look good on my 24' BenQ in the kitchen. Pleasantly surprised.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-23, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Well I purchased 30 Rock so I will soon know.

The problem is that its been downloading for hours and its still not half done!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2009-07-23, 07:53 PM

Yeah, that's because iTunes gives you an SD copy along with the HD copy, so it does take some time. Although you can start watching the individual episodes as they finish downloading.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.