Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-05, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

Hello

I have a HTPC connected to my media server with about 700 Blu-Ray titles served by 9.5TB of storage. I am just going OTA and wanted to put the signal into my HTPC vs. direct to TV. I am still going to keep Rogers basic cable in the house (up to channel 65) and wanted to know if this card will pull in both OTA HD (with antenna) and Rogers cable signal simultaneously so everything shows up nice and neat in the guide.
I am located at 10th line and Tacc Drive in Mississauga and wanted to know if this antenna would pick up Buffalo and the CN Tower as well (Digiwav ANT 7286 8 Bay). Thoughts on either questions?

Cheers

Sharp LC-52SE94U, VSX-1018AH receiver
Core i5 HTPC Windows7, 36TB WHS2011
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-05, 06:46 PM
Veteran

As long as your basic cable is analog, the 2250 will work fine. Otherwise you need to set up the STB with an IR blaster to control the box from your comp.
Otherwise, It should be able to handle OTA on the one input and rogers on the other no problem.
What you are using for watching is another variable though. AFAIK, the 2250 shows up as two separate tuners, so you'd need software capable of knowing that 5-1 comes from tuner 1 and cable 5 comes from tuner 2 - I'm not sure if there is something out there that can do this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 12:43 PM

Quote:
...so everything shows up nice and neat in the guide.
That's not going to happen if you are using Vista Media Center. It will not allow you to setup the ATSC tuner if you use a Canadian postal code.

Avoid installing the TV Pack 2008 upgrade and follow Peter Near's instructions for modifying the registry to enable ATSC reception.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 12:50 PM

I believe recneps77 is mistaken. From what I have read (I don't own one of these), the 2250 has dual tuners but the source must be the same. I don't believe you can tune separate sources (cable + antenna) since according to the diagram on their website, the unit has one TV input.

http://www.hauppauge.com/pics/hvr225...gram_large.jpg
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 02:10 PM

You would use the TV In for the antenna and the A/V input pictured above for the STB. As Michael DeAbreu stated, you would need to perform the hack for both ATSC and a STB to work at the same time.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineBall View Post
You would use the TV In for the antenna and the A/V input pictured above for the STB. As Michael DeAbreu stated, you would need to perform the hack for both ATSC and a STB to work at the same time.
Yes, but the user doesn't have a STB. He wants to use analog cable only, thus needing a combo tuner (HVR-1600 or 1800 would work) and not the one in question.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 06:10 PM

Good catch! I forgot that the 2250 does not have separate inputs for the OTA antenna and analog cable. He won't be able to combine the two signals.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-06, 10:48 PM
Veteran

Yeah, I totally missed that one too.
I was thinking like the 1600, with dual inputs :\
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 2009-07-07, 11:38 AM

Fair enough, I assumed he was still using an STB with his basic cable since there is digital basic and he didn't specifically state one way or the other. I mean, that's what I'm doing so it made perfect sense to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.