Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Popularizing OTA DTV In Canada

248K views 860 replies 222 participants last post by  rob50312 
#1 ·
Went to my local Future Shop store to ogle the big-screen TVs....(that LG 60 inch plasma looks pretty nice) and what did I see below the HD gear? This sign, which I consider misleading to say the least:

"Three things you need to receive HDTV:

1) HDTV ( I assume they mean the monitor)

2) HD Satellite or Cable box

3) HD Programming"

Not a word about the *FREE* OTA digital content available to anyone with an ATSC tuner and a decent antenna....(none of which they seem to carry, of course....)

;)

It makes me wonder how much of a kickback FS/BB is receiving from Shaw/Rogers/ExpressVu and Starchoice.....????

:mad:

Just my $0.02.....

See less See more
#3 ·
I suppose there is the flip side; they could have a listing of all the options available, which to the average user may confuse more than educate.

For many people using a cable box is still outside of the norm. And for others a 20" satellite dish is far to much of an eyesore.

I agree that FS looked at the best way for them to make money. However keeping it as easy as 1-2-3 means more people going HD. And the more people that go HD, the more programming the rest of us will get in return.

#4 ·
I dunno.....they're in business to make money, but they are bending the truth in this case. The best digital picture (and sound) I'm getting is coming right off an antenna; crystal clear, HD, and no monthly fees. :p

They're just exploiting the customer's ignorance... when they sell a PC, do they tell everyone the only way to access the internet is with Rogers or Sympatico high-speed.....?? :D

#5 ·
Interesting analogy. I would venture to guess that a place like FS would only offer one of those 2 high speed choices. At that point a sign saying "everything you need to get online; PC, cable modem, and service from Rogers"; would that sign be misleading? Or should they mention every other high speed option? :D

#6 ·
Well, HDTV, the number one item could mean one with an ATSC tuner, since the other kind are called monitors... Although I guess then they should add "antenna"...

This practice simply reflects the fact that very few people get their TV OTA and even those with OTA, often also subscribe to Cable or SAT to get the specialty channels.

We've gone 'round & 'round this in several OTA threads already.

#7 ·
I know it's only FS we're talking about here, but accurate and *complete* information for the consumer is never out of fashion.

Maybe HDTV would have more than 5% market penetration if big time retailers like FS and BB would inform the customer they don't need to pay $60 a month to get some HD content...lotsa people just wanna watch CSI Miami in HD, fer pete's sake.....

;)

#8 ·
I wouldn't expect them to print different materials for different regions in Canada. They would be in more trouble if they list "free" OTA as one of the HDTV options, because there is no such thing almost anywhere west of Ontario. The three things they list are absolutely valid here in Calgary, for example. They do not mislead at all. Some time in a few years, after CBC starts digital transmission in all markets, the text will have to be changed. I wouldn't hold my breath, though - the national public broadcaster still cannot find money to upgrade their Calgary transmitter to stereo, let alone add digital :)

#10 · (Edited)
bete_noir said:
..FS and BB would inform the customer they don't need to pay $60 a month to get some HD content...lotsa people just wanna watch CSI Miami in HD, fer pete's sake.....
If that's all you want, buy an SA3250HD for $300 and you're set to go. NO additional charges from Rogers (beyond basic). On top of that, you can get a number of additional digital "free" stations".

See the Digital Home FAQ "Rogers HD Offering" which shows the no charge HD channels. (I count around 20)

Most people these days have an internet connection with some service provider. By adding a little TV, the charges go up only a bit... If you've got a cell-phone, the TV is almost free...

Put that in your ATSC tuner and smoke it. ;)

#12 ·
This thread reminds me of something I saw on the StarChoice satellite web site awhile back referring to OTA as "old fashioned"... hee hee I guess its old fashioned to want the best quality picture and sound and not have to pay for it. ;)

In one of the other threads at DHC someone was told by a Sony Store salesman that a certain tv had an OTA antenna built into it along with the tuner. Bzzztttttt...... nope.

Arthur Dent: does BC mean Beyond Calgary? :D We've had DTV OTA since last year, and more stations coming up soon. Well okay, you said "almost" but rather than think of geography, think of demography and you'll note that the majority of Canadians now have access to DTV OTA.

#14 ·
When they sell you an ExpressVu system and you signup and pay your monthly bill the store (Dealer) gets a cut every month from your payment. As long as you remain a paying customer of ExpressVu that store remains your Dealer on Bell's books and they get month for nothing, so now why would they want to tell you about OTA?

#15 ·
misleading their customers ? I don't think so, three reasons:

- most of those sales never heard of OTA.
- no one says anthing about antenna receipiton today, even for regular channels. In old days, all TVs came with a default set of antenna. Now by default even TV manufacturies think the consumers will use cable.
- antenna receiptions prove to have problems, low qualilty, or not available to general public.

#16 ·
stampeder said:
Well okay, you said "almost" but rather than think of geography, think of demography and you'll note that the majority of Canadians now have access to DTV OTA.
I don't think the majority has access to OTA DTV. Those who do have it have it more as an exception, not as a rule. Currently, in Canada there are a total of 3 official channels having a total of 6 or so DTV transmitters in 4 cities - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver and Ottawa. They surely don't cover the "majority of Canadians". With CRTC's policy (rather lack of such) the majority of Canadians will not have OTA DTV for many more years to come.
Hey, there even are a few free DAB radio stations in Toronto and lots of people in the border regions can receive US HD-Radio stations. Do you feel that FutureShop is misleading their customers by not offering DAB and HD-Radio receivers at all and pushing satellite radio instead?

#18 ·
#21 ·
It makes me wonder how much of a kickback FS/BB is receiving from Shaw/Rogers/ExpressVu and Starchoice.....????
That is the most ridiculous thing, I've heard today!

You really think that representatives from Shaw/Rogers/ExpressVu and Starchoice get together with representatives of FS and BB and hammer out a deal for how much they'll pay so that they don't include OTA tuners on their point of sale material.

I suppose that FS/BB also get a kickback from Global and those other HD channels that aren't actually displaying HD on their HD channels.

I guess the fact that the bulk of Canadian population couldn't get an HD channel even with an ATSC and that would lead to a stampede of idiots returning their HDTV's because their tuner doesn't get HD channels has nothing to do with it or the fact that 95% of the population with televisions use cable or satellite. NAH, that couldn't have anything to do with it.

Just my 2 cents!

#22 ·
Its all about marketing $$$

hugh said:
I guess the fact that the bulk of Canadian population couldn't get an HD channel even with an ATSC
That's likely what happens, people get the new HDTV home and plug it in, but the FS or BB or whomever sales person likely told them that the only way they'll get HD is to also pay them for a Satellite or CATV HD STB too. Kickbacks? Its more like lack of awareness of competitive options. Since there's no national-level marketing oomph for local OTA antenna installers to make their presence and options known, they are behind the 8-ball and most potential customers will not know a thing about what they're missing.

We've seen this so many times before, with boutique stores for high end stereos, computers, etc. filling the void. Local OTA installers will have to try that sort of approach in their areas to make a go of it. The real videophiles will have come here to DHC already, but eventually word of mouth will bring in more business as people see the OTA HD experience with their own eyes and recognize the lighter load on their wallets than CATV or DBS.

This is not happening across the U.S. because TV aerials are so commonplace that a person buying an HDTV even from the big box stores already knows who the local OTA aerial installer is.

#23 ·
OTA is so prevalent in the US because that's often the only way to get the local channels. They're not carried by many of the cable or Sat service providers there.

Exactly the opposite is true in Canada where the Cable/Sat Companies (BEV/Rogers) are offering just about anything legally available in HD, both now offering over 30 channels in major areas.

#24 ·
57 said:
OTA is so prevalent in the US because that's often the only way to get the local channels.
Aided and abetted by the fact that almost all homes in the continental U.S.A. get at least one OTA DTV station.

Rogers might be just fine for you in your area, but you should say "...in some parts of Canada...". BEV has been great except for their transcoding/compression ruination of perfectly good HD. Shaw Cable and StarChoice are having a terrible time ramping up their HD lineup, so you forgot to mention that.

#26 ·
stampeder said:
You've forgotten about the wealth of U.S. stations that are available. I invite you to read through the GTA, Quebec, and BC threads in the OTA Forum to see that the great majority of Canadians either now have access to the best in DTV or soon will.
Thanks for the kind reminder, I thought only Canada had DTV on this planet. Cut me some slack, I've been reading these and other HDTV forums only for the last 5-6 years, may be I've missed the news of DTV stations appearing in the US and it's never occurred to me that Canadians may be living near the US border. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.