The Vietnam War on PBS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By reidw

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-17, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

The Vietnam War on PBS

Tonight (Sept. 17) on PBS begins a 10-part series on the Vietnam War produced by Ken Burns. Those of you who lived through that period should enjoy this series. It it's as good as his other productions, it should bring back a lot of memories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 09:40 AM
Veteran

I'm not sure why but for the first time this is a Ken Burns series I don't like. I'll give it another try next week but the first show wasn't up to his expected standards, at least in my opinion.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 12:01 PM

Daily not weekly.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-18, 12:19 PM
Veteran

@gamber: Didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up. Tell me, what did you (or anyone else) think of the first program?
gbamber likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-20, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
@gamber: Didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up. Tell me, what did you (or anyone else) think of the first program?
I thought the first program could have been presented much better. It was very informative but I found the "flashback" technique a little confusing. It constantly showed colour footage of American soldiers in Vietnam in the mid-60s when it was still describing events in the 1950s and early 60s before the Americans arrived there. I guess this was done to break the monotony of showing so much black and white coverage. I haven't seen the second or third episodes.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-20, 10:58 AM

I notice on my guide for my local PBS (WNED Buffalo, NY) that it only shows 8 episodes (Monday to Thursday this week and next). I've set timers on my DVR, but is there 10 episodes or only 8?

Maybe the guide could be incorrect (using a Rovi powered guide) for the week of October 1st?.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-20, 01:28 PM

Vietnam War is currently airing Sunday to Thursday on PBS for 10 episodes in total. (8 PM ET each day on WNED) You can check the rebroadcast schedule here:

https://www.wned.org/television/schedules/

EDIT: Episode 10 airs on Sept. 29 , then it will rebroadcast weekly on Tuesdays on WNED (other stations may vary.)

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-09-20 at 02:00 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-20, 02:53 PM

Thanks @Dr.Dave - my guide has "Member Favorites" on Sunday Nights therefore it wasn't captured properly. I'll catch the first episode I missed when it re-airs and adjust my timers for this upcoming Sunday.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-21, 11:26 AM

I unfortunately missed the first episode, but was able to record the subsequent episodes on my OTA PVR (from WNED Buffalo).

It's rather frustrating that the content is available on the PBS website for Americans but not Canadians. Even though this PBS station serves southern Ontario. I'm aware that programming rights vary by country, but to my knowledge the Canadian broadcast rights haven't been secured by any Canadian stations for this series.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-21, 01:54 PM

@Jase88 you should be able to record the rebroadcast of episode 1 from WNED OTA on Tuesday, Oct. 3.

I think you misunderstand how TV rights work. The PBS stations have the rights to broadcast the series in the U.S. only, including limited digital rights, and are legally required to geo-block anyone trying to access the digital video from outside the U.S. Even though the series hasn't been licensed to a Canadian broadcast or specialty channel (yet) it may be in the future. It has already been licensed by 21 broadcasters in 43 countries. (Source)

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2017-09-21 at 10:18 PM. Reason: updated international rights
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-21, 02:25 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Dr. Dave. I'll catch the series opener on the rebroadcast date.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-21, 04:39 PM

@Jase88 - just went to wned.org and was able to watch it. They have the first 5 episodes up.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-22, 10:07 AM

That's odd. I'm getting the geo-warning whenever I attempt to play content from their site.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-22, 03:06 PM

I'm only a few km's from WNED's studios in Fort Erie, but using a Canadian ISP (Cogeco) with no VPN (I have a VPN, but it is for the UK, not the U.S. and I don't run it unless I want UK content).

Not sure if there is some regionalization like the Buffalo Sabres have with MSG/Bell TV that Niagara Region can get content from the U.S. if it is Buffalo based as it is part of their market?

I can get content on WNED with no issues, and other channels such as MSG WNY (Buffalo Bills talk shows and highlights) that I know that family cannot get further into the GTA on Rogers internet.

A few years ago I had issues being geo-blocked on CBC for video, and had to write them with my IP address and Cogeco got involved to get access...just maybe something weird with Cogeco in the Niagara Region...

I was also thinking since WNED pretends to be both a Buffalo and Toronto station that they open up the content because most of their viewer funding is from Canada...maybe that thought is wrong based on your experience. The PBS station in Erie, PA also co-locates itself with London, ON for some reason...

Glad I can get the online content, but disappointed that everyone in WNED's OTA viewing area cannot.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2017-09-23, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterug View Post
I thought the first program could have been presented much better. It was very informative but I found the "flashback" technique a little confusing. It constantly showed colour footage of American soldiers in Vietnam in the mid-60s when it was still describing events in the 1950s and early 60s before the Americans arrived there. I guess this was done to break the monotony of showing so much black and white coverage. I haven't seen the second or third episodes.
The title of the first episode was "Deja Vu". The purpose of the flashing back and forth between the 60's and previous French colonial era was to highlight the repeating of the mistakes made by the French during the colonial era, and those of the League of Nations made in the post WWII era, were exactly the same errors the US made 1960's. History repeating itself over and over again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.