Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The Vietnam War on PBS

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Phage 
#1 ·
Tonight (Sept. 17) on PBS begins a 10-part series on the Vietnam War produced by Ken Burns. Those of you who lived through that period should enjoy this series. It it's as good as his other productions, it should bring back a lot of memories.

#5 ·
I thought the first program could have been presented much better. It was very informative but I found the "flashback" technique a little confusing. It constantly showed colour footage of American soldiers in Vietnam in the mid-60s when it was still describing events in the 1950s and early 60s before the Americans arrived there. I guess this was done to break the monotony of showing so much black and white coverage. I haven't seen the second or third episodes.

#6 ·
I notice on my guide for my local PBS (WNED Buffalo, NY) that it only shows 8 episodes (Monday to Thursday this week and next). I've set timers on my DVR, but is there 10 episodes or only 8?

Maybe the guide could be incorrect (using a Rovi powered guide) for the week of October 1st?.

#9 ·
I unfortunately missed the first episode, but was able to record the subsequent episodes on my OTA PVR (from WNED Buffalo).

It's rather frustrating that the content is available on the PBS website for Americans but not Canadians. Even though this PBS station serves southern Ontario. I'm aware that programming rights vary by country, but to my knowledge the Canadian broadcast rights haven't been secured by any Canadian stations for this series.

#10 · (Edited)
@Jase88 you should be able to record the rebroadcast of episode 1 from WNED OTA on Tuesday, Oct. 3.

I think you misunderstand how TV rights work. The PBS stations have the rights to broadcast the series in the U.S. only, including limited digital rights, and are legally required to geo-block anyone trying to access the digital video from outside the U.S. Even though the series hasn't been licensed to a Canadian broadcast or specialty channel (yet) it may be in the future. It has already been licensed by 21 broadcasters in 43 countries. (Source)

#14 ·
I'm only a few km's from WNED's studios in Fort Erie, but using a Canadian ISP (Cogeco) with no VPN (I have a VPN, but it is for the UK, not the U.S. and I don't run it unless I want UK content).

Not sure if there is some regionalization like the Buffalo Sabres have with MSG/Bell TV that Niagara Region can get content from the U.S. if it is Buffalo based as it is part of their market?

I can get content on WNED with no issues, and other channels such as MSG WNY (Buffalo Bills talk shows and highlights) that I know that family cannot get further into the GTA on Rogers internet.

A few years ago I had issues being geo-blocked on CBC for video, and had to write them with my IP address and Cogeco got involved to get access...just maybe something weird with Cogeco in the Niagara Region...

I was also thinking since WNED pretends to be both a Buffalo and Toronto station that they open up the content because most of their viewer funding is from Canada...maybe that thought is wrong based on your experience. The PBS station in Erie, PA also co-locates itself with London, ON for some reason...

Glad I can get the online content, but disappointed that everyone in WNED's OTA viewing area cannot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.