Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

The Mist TV series in Canada?

12K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  BoardGhost 
#1 ·
According to an article in my newspaper, "The Mist", a new TV adaptation of the Stephen King novel, which was shot in my home province of Nova Scotia, premieres today on Spike TV at 10:00 PM EDT, or 11:00 ADT, on Spike TV.

I was disappointed that the TV listings in my guide indicate that this will not be available in Canada, with episodes of "Coaching Bad" being shown instead. It's a bit surprising that a show being produced by Spike would not even have the rights to be shown here.

It's puzzling that my local paper would even print this article if the show is only available in the USA.

#2 ·
The good news is that the series will probably end up on a Canadian channel. The Weinstein Company’s Dimension Television produced the series and has probably sold the Canadian rights to someone else, which is why Spike can't show it in Canada. Expect to see it in the fall or winter season for better viewership numbers.

#3 ·
I am actually hoping that Netflix in Canada will pick up the rights to this one. Otherwise, I would be happy enough to see it on at least one of the Canadian specialty channels.

The important thing is that it does get shown here, and doesn't slip through the cracks. It would be a bitter irony to have a show that was filmed right in my local area not even get shown here.

#4 ·
Hi,
I emailed the VP at Spike in charge of The Mist and here was her reply:

Hi Ken

Thank you for your interest in THE MIST. The series is going to be released internationally via Netflix
on August 25, with all episodes available for viewing – so you just have to wait just a little longer to see it!

I hope you enjoy watching it and recognizing elements of your hometown!

#5 ·
The Mist is 10 episodes, so Netflix gets the rights the day after the tenth episode airs on Spike.

Netflix is doing more and more of these international rights deals - they will release each episode of The CW's Dynasty reboot internationally the same day The CW airs it in the U.S. this fall.

It looks like a Canadian Netflix subscription is becoming more valuable all the time. ;)

#6 ·
That's great news, Dr. Dave and ke62035. I totally agree that a Netflix subscription these days is almost mandatory, and I probably spend more time watching Netflix than I do watching regular TV.

I am quite surprised, ke62035, that you actually got any sort of reply from Spike at all. I tried writing them, through their comments section, and haven't heard so much as a peep from them. Their Facebook page is loaded with complaints from Canadians, and there hasn't been a peep out of anyone from Spike there either.

#8 ·
I was quite surprised too.... she replied the next day. Maybe it's because I told her I live in Bedford. I spent a bit of time hanging out at the Bedford Place mall watching the filming - interesting stuff. The place was open to public.

I went to spike.com, then at the very bottom clicked "press center", and then "contacts" on the top line, and below are the contact details I found for the VP:

Debra Fazio-Rutt
Vice President
Debra.fazio@spike.com
– The Mist
– Ink Master
– TIME: The Kalief Browder Story

Then I sent her an email. Not sure what people mean by spike canada, i've not seen a website specific to Canada. - Ken

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.