Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Bell Media Specialty Channel Lineup 2014/15

58K views 241 replies 20 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 · (Edited)
EDIT: Bell Media reorganized their press releases around the end of Jan. 2015, so most of the links prior to that date won't work, but the press releases are still there if you search for them.

Bell Media’s Entertainment Specialties Announce Acquisition of New Sensational Series for 2014/15 Lineup (includes show descriptions)

Bell Media announced today big-ticket acquisitions made for its Entertainment Specialties at the L.A. Screenings last month.

Bell Media Entertainment Specialties New 2014/15 Acquired Series:

ANGIE TRIBECA (The Comedy Network, Mid-Season, 10 x :30)

BENCHED (The Comedy Network, Mid-Season, 12 x :30)

BUZZY’S (The Comedy Network, Mid-Season, 10 x :30)

COMPLICATIONS (Bravo, Mid-Season, 10 x :60)

JENNIFER FALLS (M3, Mid-Season, 10 x :30)

PROOF (Bravo, Mid-Season, 10 x :60)

THE ROYALS (E!, Mid-Season, 10 x :60)

RUSH (Bravo, Premieres July 17 at 9 p.m. ET, 10 x :60)

YOUNGER (M3, Fall, 12 x :30)

Note: Links in the above shows point to YouTube/Vimeo trailers.

See less See more
#3 ·
Bell Media Completes 2014/15 Canadian Independent Production Slate

19-2
Season 2, Sphère Média Plus and Echo Media, 10 x :60, Bravo

AIRSHOW
Season 1, Great Pacific TV, 12 x :60, Discovery Canada

BITTEN
Season 2, No Equal Entertainment, Hoodwink Entertainment, and Entertainment One Television, 10 x :60, Space

CANADA’S WORST DRIVER
Season 10, Proper Television, 8 x :60, Discovery Canada

COLD WATER COWBOYS
Season 2, Paperney Entertainment, 8 x :60, Discovery Canada

Corner Gas: The Movie
Holiday Event, Corner Gas The Movie (SK) Inc. and Corner Gas The Movie (ON) Inc., 1 x :120, CTV, The Movie Network, The Comedy Network

DEGRASSI
Season 14, Epitome Pictures Inc., a DHX Media company, 28 x :30, MTV

HIGHWAY THRU HELL
Season 3, Great Pacific TV, 17 x :60, Discovery Canada

JUST FOR LAUGHS: ALL ACCESS
Season 3, Just For Laughs Television, 13 x :60, The Comedy Network

KILLJOYS
Season 1, Temple Street Productions, 10 x :60, Space

SENSITIVE SKIN
Season 1, Rhombus Media, in association with Baby Cow Productions, 6 x :30, HBO Canada

TRANSPORTER: THE SERIES
Season 2, QVF Inc.,12 x :60, The Movie Network

Full Press Release including show descriptions.

Note: I haven't included the CTV productions.

#6 ·
The Comedy Network Acquires JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE

JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE, now in its 12th season, is set to follow THE DAILY SHOW WITH JON STEWART, weeknights at 11:35 p.m. ET, in simulcast with ABC, beginning in September.

Press Release.

JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE will replace THE COLBERT REPORT, which ends this year. JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE has been showing on City TV.

#8 ·
JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE is being simsubbed by City TV right now, so it shouldn't be any worse than it is now.

Simsubbing with specialty channels only happens when the specialty channel asks for it and your provider agrees to do it. For example, if The Comedy Network asks for a simsub of JKL, Bell may agree and simsub it's customers. Telus may not agree, so Telus customers will get the ABC broadcast on ABC.

#9 ·
Even though I dislike the simsub practice with all my heart, I kind of understand the broadcast-on-broadcast simsub. The rationale is since both are available freely OTA, benefits must be given to Canadian broadcaster. What I do not like is specialty-on-broadcast simsub.

By definition, specialties are cabble TVs, meaning that those who want specialties must actively seek for them and add them to the lineup and pay for the channels. That is why I hate TSN simsubs over broadcast channels. If one wants TSN, one should pay for TSN.

Seeing that The Comedy Network is owned by Bell and I am with Bell Fibe, the probability of TCN simsub over ABC is almost 1.

#11 ·
Québec Specialty Channels

Yesterday evening, Bell Media presented to advertisers and ad agencies its fall programming for its French-language specialty channels, namely Canal Vie, Canal D, VRAK TV, Investigation, Ztélé, RDS, RDS2 and RDS Info, as well as CTV and other featured channels (MusiquePlus and MusiMax).

Details are in the press release.

#14 ·
Bell Media laying off up to 120 across Toronto TV operations

Kevin Newman Live, the prime-time newscast of CTV News Channel, has been cancelled as part of the announcement Monday.

Writer Colin Horgan tweeted: “Programming update: there's no program anymore. Kevin Newman Live is done as of today, kids.”
Kevin Crull, president of Bell Media, said the cuts reduce Bell’s Toronto area workforce by five per cent and represent 1.8 per cent of the national team.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bel...to-120-across-toronto-tv-operations-1.2684830

#19 ·
The People’s Couch premieres on Sunday, July 13 at 8:30 p.m. ET on Bravo. The 10-episode, half-hour reality series features eight viewing groups of Canadian TV fans reacting to, and deliberating on, the buzziest shows of the past week. The show is based on the U.K. hit Gogglebox and THE PEOPLE’S COUCH on Bravo U.S.

Full Press Release.

#21 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-season_replacement

In American and Canadian television, a mid-season replacement is a television series that premieres in the second half of the traditional television season, usually between January and May.

Mid-season replacements usually take place after a show that was in the fall schedule was canceled or put on hiatus, or a program had a shortened season for some other reason which resulted in a time slot that needed filling.

#22 ·
It's nice to see Canada trying its own version of The People's Couch. I'm expecting it to be garbage, but I hope they at least comment on some of the Canadian content that the other International versions ignore. If the series features ONLY Bell Media content (why would they promote other content?), it will be less interesting to me.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't suck.

#24 · (Edited)
The People's Couch -- Canadian version

The Canadian version of The People's Couch was bad, but at least it featured Rookie Blue (which is a Shaw Media series).

http://www.bravo.ca/shows/peoplescouch?vid=393920
[The People's Couch Canada S1 Episode 1 - free stream]

The American version expanded to an hour, but the Canadian version is only 30 minutes (including commercials).

Six shows (all reality-tv crap, other than Rookie Blue) were covered in the first episode, but I only paid close attention to the Rookie Blue and Keeping Up With the Kardashians couch comments.

Since I don't find these Canadian couch families/friends to be that interesting or funny, I'm only curious to see what shows will be featured each week.

The American version's first season also had some boring couch families/friends, but the Canadian version seems to only have boring couch participants. I'd replace them all (if there is a second season), and also fix the annoying editing (quick and jarring; though it could be because the couch folks have nothing original or funny to say).

Edit: Only Six (not 7) shows were featured ... I quickly checked the Bravo.ca stream.

#26 ·
Candidly Nicole ... Suddenly pulled from the E! Canada schedule and moved to M3

That's weird! Candidly Nicole was set to premiere on E! Canada tomorrow (same day as the VH1 premiere - the pilot episode can be streamed on the VH1 website), but I assume that Bell has decided to move the series to M3. I think it's a better fit for E! Canada, but I guess Bell knows best. :confused:

The E! Canada, YouTube promo for Candidly Nicole was recently removed by Bell, so I assume that confirms the switch to M3?

http://www.bellmediapr.ca/Network/E/Press/Candidly-Nicole-Summer-Release-
[previous Candidly Nicole, E! Canada press release]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.