TMN-HD - Major Macroblocking - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 2004-12-21, 08:40 PM
Veteran

You often see macroblocking on sports - basketball on RSN at times is particularly bad and it was also noticable last year on CBC during the heritage hockey game - one time the camera was focused in a picture far away and a player skated in front of the camera taking up most of the field of vision of the camera - major, major macroblocking.

The diving in the Olympics this past summer was also very bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 2004-12-28, 09:19 PM

Cool

Still Macroblocking...Just called into Rogers to ask about this issue - was watching BB2 and couldn't bare to watch it anymore. The TSR told me the signals on my end were great and that they would have to look into it on their end and would call me back.

I have been noticing this effect since I got my TV a few weeks ago and wondered if it was the TV itself. Good to see it seems like all models are having the same issue (well not good, but you know what I mean )

I'll post any feedback when/if I hear back.

C
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old 2004-12-29, 01:12 PM

Bad Boys II also has plenty of bad moments. I figured it was just the 19Mbps problem with a lot of "Bruckheimer flash".

Otherwise TMN-HD PQ is outstanding - source permitting of course. Check out A View From the Top some time

Robbers 4250HD, 8300HD [500GB], 8642HD, 9865HD
post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-01, 08:26 PM

Her'es another movie that had way too much macroblocking: Paycheck.
The movie would go fuzzy at times also. It had a hard time with fast moving pictures as well as reds flashing.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-02, 10:02 AM
Veteran

Now that's odd because I just wached Paycheck off the PVR last night and was going to post that I found little or no macroblocking! There was also very little 'pixelation' on this particular recording, thank goodness.

I'm with Rogers. You?
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-02, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
I recorded Paycheck, but have not watched it yet - will advise when I do. I watched Cold Mountain and it had major pixellation/sound dropouts and one "freeze frame", but no bothersome macroblocking.

I have also noticed that the macroblocking is more noticeable with "reds".

I have not heard back from TMN on this issue - probably on holidays or working on the issue. Will advise when I hear back.

Danster is with Rogers NB, Motorola STB.

During a bowl game yesterday, ABC had one of those "sweeping logos" that goes across the screen following replays. During the olympics, the NBC sweeping logo had major macroblocking. The one on ABC yesterday was "clean".

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-02, 01:32 PM
Veteran

That reminds me...I watched Cold Mountain 'live' a few days ago...no macroblocking, and of course, no pixelation or drop outs.
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-02, 05:51 PM

The spot that had the most was when Affleck is interrogated by the FBI on the chair and then the guy lights up a cigarette, hell breaks lose and all. At that point, when the reds flash, it looks like a Tetris game going on. Many little weird shape blocks appearing and dissapearing. A bit like Pink Floyd the Wall type of uneven blocks.

Home Theatre: Yamaha HTR-6190, Klipsch Speakers, SANYO PLV-Z4, TOSHIBA HDDVD, LG BD555C, Cerwin Vega HTS12 Sub, VIP2300, XBox 360, HTPC.
post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-02, 07:08 PM
Veteran

Yeah, just re-watched that segment and you're right. I've seen worse, but that's pretty bad.
post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Watched "Badder Santa" last night (or most of it, what a bad movie, kept waiting for it to get better, finally FF through about 1/3 of it). For the 2/3 I did watch, I encountered little pixellation or macroblocking.

I FF to the "red segment" of Paycheck (haven't watched it yet). There was major macroblocking at that "red" segment.

I find that if you FF, due to the "freeze frame" nature of FF, that you can find the macroblocking quite easily....

I also watched Discovery Channel's "Ultimate Cars" in HD. There were two programmes. One was on "top 5 peoples' choice". There was absolutely no pixellation for that 1/2 hour. The other programme on "top 9 cars" had several pixellation issues as well as macroblocking. It's so odd that some programmes are "clean" and others are "not".

My drive was about 70% full at the time of viewing both programmes. Most of the time my drive is less than 50%, but I just got back from vacation and I'm catching up...

57's Optimization Services (Home Theatre Optimization) . . . . 57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #41 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-03, 01:07 PM
Veteran

I actually watched Badder Santa too last night. I found the dry humour quite amusing! I did notice minor, but relatively frequent, 'errors' in small parts of the image all during the presentation.
post #42 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-04, 10:36 AM

Here is another one: Stargate Atlantis last night.
At the point where they are chasing a Wrath ship around and away from Atlantis, the ship seemed like it was slowing down and getting fuzzy. All of a sudden, it froze in the air, blocks everywhere and the picture looked like if I was seeing it through a foggy window. While this was happening, the sound was still perfect. Then the picture unfroze and everything went normal again. It was the first time I noticed artifacts and stuff during Atlantis since last August.

post #43 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-04, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Here is what I can tell you from TMN-HD.

Quote:
TMN-HD have seen the same macroblocking that we have seen, and are looking into ways to improve the picture quality...
I believe it is a good sign that they acknowledge that the issue exists and that they are willing to look into improving the PQ.

post #44 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-04, 06:58 PM
Veteran

57, feel free to delete this post, but I did not see Danster's issue on the new MC-HD. Would not TMN-HD and MC-HD use the same source?
post #45 of 90 (permalink) Old 2005-01-05, 07:52 PM

It is nice indeed that they are listening. Each time my wife and I sees macroblocking, she tells me "Are you going to report it to the digital forum again?".
I looked at 280, the ROGERS prevue channel when they show the football loop. There doesn't seem to be any pixelation as far as I can tell.
No matter what, thanks for bringing it up to your contact.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.