Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Doc Martin Series 5 starts tonight on Vision TV

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  juliedawn 
#1 ·
Vision TV is airing the newest series of Doc Martin (S5, which was just on this fall in the UK) starting tonight at 9pm EST, then each Wed at the same time for 8 weeks (unfortunately, no repeat airings that I could find listed).

I noticed that the two PBS stations I get (Buffalo and Seattle) are also showing Doc Martin starting next week....BUT I checked their websites and both are only showing the previous Series 4 again. **So Vision is the only place to see it for now** (well, unless Knowledge Network is airing it - unfortunately I no longer get that channel since my switch to Fibe).

**NOTE** - the onscreen guide for tonight - on Fibe anyway - has the right episode # listed - 501 - but the wrong episode description and an 'original airdate' of Jan 2010. However I have double checked on Vision's site and it's definitely the new 2011 episode starting tonight.

#2 ·
Vision showed the first 3 episodes of Season 5 at the end of November and then for some reason stopped and are now supposedly showing the whole season from the beginning. Seemed a bit odd at the time to me but I suppose they figured no one would watch over Christmas? I couldn't believe how many commercial breaks there are on Vision as I don't watch it normally and I feel there was cutting of the show done as it seemed very bitty.

#3 ·
Thanks for the update - that explains why on their website they said something about no longer streaming the first 3 episodes, and that streaming would start again later in Jan with episode 4. I obviously completely missed that they'd previously started it even though that was one of the series I regularly would try to remember to check my Guide for!)

Re the commercials, I watched it (recorded) last night, it's been so long since I watched anything on Vision I actually thought they were commercial free lol, however I don't think there were any more than on any of the main networks. I counted 6 commercial breaks in the hour...annoying but par for the course.
However you are right, I have a feeling they did edit it down somewhat to fit in the timeslot with the commercials, as I'm sure you know that's unfortunately also common with most UK shows that often run abt 50 min instead of the 43 or so for US programmes.
It'll be interesting to see if PBS cuts it down when they eventually air it. I remember with Sherlock last year, I'd previously watched on Showcase, then re-watched on PBS and there were actually a few scenes missing! (I think PBS cut the two-parters down to fit in 90 min commercial-free, whereas Showcase showed them complete in 2hrs with commercials.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.