Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Who will win Amazing Race 19?

• Marcus (39) and Amani Pollard (36)

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Cindy Chiang (30) and Ernie Halvorsen

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Jeremy Cline (35) and Sandy Draghi (33)

Votes: 5 33.3%

In HD: The Amazing Race 19 Premieres Sunday, Sept. 25 at 8/7c

9K views 60 replies 20 participants last post by  tvnut64 
#1 ·
Official site. Cast just announced.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/

Ethan Zohn (37) and Jenna Morasca (30) are a team of former Survivor winners. After recently beating cancer, Ethan is ready to take on the world with his girlfriend of 8 years by his side.

Kaylani Panliotta (33) and Lisa Tilley (32) are a team of cocktail waitresses from Las Vegas. These friends are also former Showgirls.

Jeremy Cline (35) and Sandy Draghi (33) are a dating couple from the San Francisco Bay area. This commercial real estate broker and nurse practitioner are sure to make a strong team.

Marcus (39) and Amani Pollard (36) are a married couple from Pine Mountain, Georgia. Marcus is a former NFL player, most famous for playing with the Indianapolis Colts.

Justin (31) and Jennifer Young (26) are a brother/sister team from Stone Mountain, Georgia. Justin is a doctor and Jennifer is a special education teacher.

Bill Smith (49) and Ron Zeitz (44) are a team of flight attendants from Laguna Niguel, California. These domestic partners are sure to put their airport experience to good use on the Race.

Andy Finch (30) and Tommy Czeschin (32) are friends and professional snowboarders from California. Both men previously competing in the Olympics for snowboarding.

Cindy Chiang (30) and Ernie Halvorsen are an engaged couple from Chicago, Illinois.

Laurence and Zac Sunderland are a father/son team from Marina del Rey, California. At 16, Zac made headlines as the youngest person to ever sail the world alone.

Marie and Liz Canavan (24) are twin sisters from Deerfield, Illinois, who are both currently attending University of Kentucky.

Bill (63) and Cathi Alden (62) are a team of married grandparents from Albany, Oregon. This farmer/rancher and retired school principal have been married for 40 years.

#35 ·
I liked how sneaky the last clue was but shouldn't ALL the instruction be included on the clue tickets they pick up?

Also, when one of the teams arrived (they were 10th the first time they got there) one of them almost looked like she was trying not to laugh when Phil was trying tell them they were almost eliminated from the race.

Otherwise quite the boring episode that was pretty easy (sans that sneaky clue) to complete.

Noticed the starting times were within 2 hours of each other except for the old couple. I think half the teams were within 1 hour.

#37 ·
I have no idea how the teams missed the sign but almost all of them did.

The sign did state something like "in exchange for all of your money, you'll get your next clue".

Since they received the clue, they should have been free and clear at that point.

I'm not sure if anybody at the orphanage spoke English or not.

I think it was unfair but I'm glad that the elders are still with us. I can easily see why they have been married for so long.

#39 ·
It was a bit strange. I'm sure when you are in a race, worrying about elimination, it is easy to interpret the sign as saying to hand over all the money you collected in the challenge - which makes sense. They got the clue (I think) so why would they think they did anything wrong. There was no way for the orphanage to know whether they handed over all their money or not - how did they know how much they had. The show obviously wanted to promote how they give back to the communities they visit, but it didn't come off well. I think the only team really affected by this was Jenna/Ehtan who were passed by a team who did hand over their money and did not have to make the return trip. Too bad, cause I was rooting for them.

#40 ·
The people who read the sign got to check in and the people who didn't read the sign had to go back. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Anybody on this show who still doesn't bother to read signs or clues really doesn't deserve to be in the race. How many times have we seen this?

#41 ·
Sign said all money in possession so there shouldn't have been any confusion over what they had to hand over. Also, I think the clue that sent them to the orphanage and the sign on the table at the orphanage both said the same thing, so teams really had to misread both the clue and the sign to screw up. Anyhoo, shocked that the flight attendants and experienced reality show couple end up being the first to go.

#42 ·
The clue that sent them to the orphanage only told them to give the money they had earned, not all the money in their possession. They had to notice the sign at the orphanage to complete the task properly. The people at the orphanage did not know how much money was in each team's possession so as long as they were given the earned money, they gave out the next clue.

#46 ·
As we said many times over the years, cab drivers can make or break a team.

This was probably the most glaring example. Three taxi drivers teamed up to form one collation and one driver took the dudes to the Panama Canal for reasons still unknown.

The statue in that square was a good guess of where to go but not the right one.

#47 ·
I was shocked to see the taxi drivers collaborating like that. It's like they thought they were going to get paid more if they helped them find the right place. The two surfers were the best players, and the taxi drivers did them in. How did the taxi drivers know to not go to the statue? You would think that the other two would have convinced the third driver to go to the statue like the surfer dudes (and the surfer dudes would have made it to the finals), but instead one driver convinced the other two to go to the correct location. Crazy.

#51 ·
Honestly...I really don't think that the flight simulator was that difficult.

You have to think that Marcus is not very bright as every single road block that he performed in, he was horrid.

I actually feel bad for him...as the only thing he talks about is football...he puts everything in his life in football terms.

He looks to be a classic US jock type of guy that has been coddled because he was a good football player...but that's all he is...sad really.

#52 ·
My wife thought that maybe Marcus has depth perception issues and that maybe the issue with flying the simulator. It also appeared he was trying to land the plane between the center runway lights and the edge of the runway (i.e. 1/2 of the lane)

#54 ·
I think what happened was that Marcus had left his road blocks until the end as I guess they knew he would be in trouble when he had to do them.

I believe the rules state that the teams have to split an equal amount of road blocks between each member.

They didn't even show the end of the typing challenge...and I highly suspect he would never have figured out that the l was the 1.

#55 ·
We were quite upset about the surfers getting eliminated...

We actually thought there might be a penalty for 2 of the teams... They did not solve the clue, the cab drivers just took them to the location. I would have thought that they needed to figure out why they went to where they went....

#56 ·
I too felt sorry for the surfer dudes. I think a better approach would have been to wait for another team to arrive and see what they discover. They were ahead and rushed off too quickly when they really weren't sure of the clue. If they had waited for another team, then either they both would have made the same mistake or would have figured it out.

For someone who has typed many English essays on an Underwood typewriter, the 1=l was obvious for me. Speaking of which, and completely off topic, one of Andy Rooney's rants was about computers. His line "I used the same Underwood typewriter for 30 years. I have used 4 different computers in the past 7. No wonder Underwood is out of business" - was priceless.

#57 ·
How many options does a person really have for the number 1?

I have a feeling that Marcus has never played a video game in his life or he felt extremely pressured and panicked.

I think most people could land the plane on one or two times in a normal environment but having time pressures could result in a negative impact.

#58 ·
Chiang did not impress me at all. All her talk about being an A student and all. She gets a C in relationship skills, a D in modesty and an F in stress-management skills. Her victory speech did not impress either. I didn't quite get the "helping the unfortunate" cause she spoke of.

Poor stupid Ernie. He seems convinced he is the omega not an equal.

Just this week I had an issue where I read a string incorrectly. It was alphanumeric and sometimes upper case and sometimes lower case. The point being I could not tell (due to the font) if I was reading the number one, a lower case L or an upper case I. It was frustrating beyond words. For the road block they could have also removed the 5 or S.

Of the three teams left I preferred Jeremy and Sandy. They seemed to have come together and were doing well. If it was not for the The Dump clue they would have the million. This is a case where a team failed to recognize that they always use a landmark that is symbolic of the area they are in. Not Furniture stores.

#59 ·
Jake - you do know that they didn't "remove the "1"" from the typewriter, but rather, those typewriters never did have a "1"; you always had to use the lower-case "L" to create numeral 1.
I'm guessing those who did not know that are 40 or younger. I'm 45 and my first typing was done on an non-electric with the striker-arms, and I'm pretty sure even my first electric (which still had the striker arms, as opposed to the IBM Selectric "balls") still had me going to the "L" for the "1".

As for Ernie and Tiger-Girl, they were my pick to win; Sandy irritated me more than anyone, and while I found NFL-guy entertaining, his football analogies were getting pretty tiresome by the end. I felt bad for Ernie (as you mention, too bad he has the inferiority complex to his Tiger-girlfriend) and wanted him to come through and win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.