BBC World News made in SD widescreen - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

BBC World News made in SD widescreen

Do you know that BBC World News is now in SD widescreen? The international news channel owned by the BBC went widescreen probably in 2007. It's real, so see this (from a British website):

Although its graphics are in 4:3 safe area, it is broadcasting in 14:9 on a 4:3 version of this channel (with top and bottom black bars).

The widescreen version of BBC World News is not available in Canada (using the 4:3 version), but I think it's available in Europe (excluding the UK). I saw BBC World News on KCTS-DT (the HD version, where I have it on Bell TV) and it's in 4:3 version instead of a widescreen version.

You can see more pictures of BBC World News in widescreen here, but if you see some images that just says "BBC News" at the bottom in addition to the clock, it's from the BBC News Channel (which is available only in the UK and is commercial free) where BBC World News programs are simulcasting on this channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 08:25 PM
DT1

When BBC News comes on BBC America HD late night/early morning it just about reaches the edge of the screen.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 09:35 PM
Veteran

FWIW, I just tuned to BBC World on Rogers ch 37 and saw a letterbox that was the same width as a SD screen, but with narrower bars than typical letterbox. I guess that's the 14:9 (I wonder where they got that ratio?) wide screen on SD channel.

IIRC, there's also a 5:3 format in Europe.

Abort, Retry, Fail? [Y/N]
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 2010-12-11, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
I guess that's the 14:9 (I wonder where they got that ratio?) wide screen on SD channel.
BBC World News broadcasts in SD, not HD as BBC News does not have HD equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
IIRC, there's also a 5:3 format in Europe.
I think you're right about this. BBC World News broadcasts in three aspect ratio versions, made in SD; 4:3 (with 14:9 letterbox), 16:9 widescreen and 5:3.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.