Global "HD" News OTA in 16:9 480i? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Question Global "HD" News OTA in 16:9 480i?

Global (CHAN) news is now widescreen and partially HD. The cameras are HD but the on screen graphics are still SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-09-24, 09:33 PM

You sure it isn't 16x9 480i? I recently got fooled by WGRZ (NBC) in Buffalo doing that...sneaky buggers.

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88 View Post
You sure it isn't 16x9 480i? I recently got fooled by WGRZ (NBC) in Buffalo doing that...sneaky buggers.
The indoor cameras are HD (not sure if it's 1080i or 720p) but the on screen graphics (lower thirds, etc) and most (all?) of the news footages are 480i.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 09:14 AM

Global (CHAN) news is now widescreen

I tend to agree with Jase88. My feeling is that Global is now 16:9 480i.

A good way to tell if a transmission is HD is to look at the hair of the news anchor. If in HD, the individual strands can be seen - check out CBC The National. I don't see individual strands of hair on Global news, more like the hair has been air brushed.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 05:32 PM

Quote:
The indoor cameras are HD (not sure if it's 1080i or 720p) ...
With a full HD screen the difference between 720 and 1080 is very apparent. 720 foresakes crisp picture sharpness for double the effective framerate. Take ABC and Fox as an example, who have unfortunately - most would argue - chosen to broadcast in 720p. Except for fast-moving scenes (mostly sports) the 720p format delivers an overall inferior picture. As far as I know the CRTC encourages the use of 1080i. Hopefully all Canadian broadcasters (like the majority of US broadcasters) will choose this format for HD material.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 07:06 PM

Fake HD

I don't think Global BC's HD is really HD at the moment. As people before me have said, their graphics are SD and most of their news segments are SD as well. When the camera is on the anchor, it still doesn't seem HD to me. Looks below 720p but whatever. Also, their studio is a fake green screen. I hate green screen. I still believe CTV BC is the only full HD channel in all of BC. Their programs are HD, PSIP is working fine and most other programs including the newscast are HD. Their HD studio is awesome and so is their newscast. 'nuff said.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-10-01, 02:17 PM

I briefly caught a glimpse of Global National news at 5:30pm, and noted that it's now in 16x9. OP: Is this the news program that you're referring to? Or local CHAN/BC news programming?

DMX 68' tower, HyGain HAM 5 rotator, Antennas Direct DB8e & C5, Channel Master 7777 preamp, Siemens surge protection. TiVo Roamio DVR
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2010-10-14, 02:07 AM

Full HD 1080i

All Studio Cameras are 16x9 1080i. National uses all Orad Virtual sets. Global BC is Virtaul behind desk and at both Traffic and Weather positions. Set behind red couch is real.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.