Superchannel vs. MC/HBO/TMN (Split from Justified on SC) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-07, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Superchannel vs. MC/HBO/TMN (Split from Justified on SC)

Nuje, you're confusing TMN with SC. MC and TMN split the country and, when it comes to first run series from HBO or Showtime both carry the same content. SuperChannel is a competing network available nationally and likely available to you as an addition to your subscription. There is no monopoly at play, SC was just the successful purchaser of the program. If you want SC, you just have to choose to pay for it.

What bothers me more is the constant delay between Canadian airings of programs like this and the original air dates in the US. One thing that can be said positively about MC/HBO and TMN is that they air this stuff contemporaneously with the originating network. SuperChannel, Showcase, Bravo, etc. give us annoying and inexcusable delays. Four episodes of Justified have already aired on FX.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-08, 01:18 AM
Veteran

SC, aka SuperChannel, is a national service. However, it costs an extra $10-$15/mo. They like to take non-premium content, like Justified, and air it without commercials to justify their existence. Justified is on FX in the US.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-09, 01:40 AM
Veteran

Sorry - my bad.
I know that TMN is the equivalent of MC here in the West. I just totally blanked on the fact that SC is the new national "premium" (ahem, ahem) movie channel.

SuperChannel used to be the East Coast movie specialty channel, though, right? Back in the olden days...?
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-13, 06:49 PM

Lightbulb Superchannel is a great alternative

I guess some people are blinded by all the ritz and glitz ads of HBO & TMN. I personally had both services and I have to say that superchannel has a better selection of movies and series. They aren't on par regarding ondemand , but they make up in overall programming. Southland is also another great series to watch weekly. When you get TMN you are getting HBO remixed with a few decent movies that are shown too many times. I prefer decent movies including some foreign films that aren't shown on tmn. The reason I switched to superchannel was because I found it more enjoyable. Some people may put down superchannel but I feel that it is a great alternative and you should all at least give it a chance.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-15, 01:30 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers Cable Sony 50" SXRD, SA8300HD 320 GB, SA8300 SD , 2 x SA 3200
Nuje question

The "original" Superchannel was sold by the Allard Family (WIC) in the late 1990's to Corus and eventually rebranded to Movie Central.

The "original" TMN was called "First Choice" but was rebranded as TMN in the late 1980's.

This has been covered off many times in the threads here but here's a very quick summary.
When originally launched in 1983, both First Choice and Superchannel services had a patchwork of provinces in which they provided services. Some provinces had access to both services, others only one.

After the first six months of operation, both services were virtually bankrupt. They approached the CRTC with a regional monopoly suggestion where Superchannel took the West (MB-BC plus the Territories) and First Choice to Eastern Canada (ON-NF). Superchannel's broadcast centre was in Edmonton and First Choice's broadcast centre was in Toronto, so this made sense.

Fast forward to 2005. The Allard Family applied for and got a license for a new National Pay TV service. By the time they launched, the re-aquired the "Superchannel" name from Corus and launched their service.

Superchannel remains the only National pay tv service, while Movie Central and TMN remain
regional players.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-18, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
SC, aka SuperChannel, is a national service. However, it costs an extra $10-$15/mo. They like to take non-premium content, like Justified, and air it without commercials to justify their existence. Justified is on FX in the US.
I called up Rogers and got superchannel for 11.99 mth for a year. I call that a great price for a movie service that includes concerts,boxing events , a good movie selection , and a number of great series. Best of all theres no HBO which is a bonus. Tmn has become HBO and its content is full of HBO filler that has downgraded their service. Mpix is extra while Superchannel also has a great selection of movies from the past mixed in with newer ones for a lower price. Check the guide and compare the content and you will see which is the better deal . I was paying 19.95 per mth and now i'm paying 11.99 ,now that a big difference! To conclude, i'm happy I took the time to switch to superchannel.

Last edited by nfldanchor; 2010-04-18 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 01:13 PM
Veteran

As much as I like Southland, The Closer and would like to watch Justified...these are a few reasons why a switch to SuperChannel for me...is not "Justified"

Original programming:
Off the top of my head...The Sopranos, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Bob Costas, The Wire, Sex and the City, Oz, Arliss, Rome, BAD, WCB, Bill Maher, Entourage, True Blood and Hung...and that's just HBO...

MC carries Showtime and Starz series such as Dexter, Californication, Sparticus, Nurse Jackie and it used to carry the HBO series until HBO came to Canada.

BTW...both channels carry the series LIVE...(as in at the same time they are broadcast in the US.

I hope the mods don't crucify us for heading off the thread track...but to me SuperChannel would only be considered as a supplement...not even close to a direct competitor to MC/HBO!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-22, 06:22 PM

Thats why Both is always the best option>
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-25, 08:13 PM

Number of inflammatory posts removed. Lets stick to the topic at hand and no flames.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm_4u View Post
Original programming:
Off the top of my head...The Sopranos, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Bob Costas, The Wire, Sex and the City, Oz, Arliss, Rome, BAD, WCB, Bill Maher, Entourage, True Blood and Hung...and that's just HBO...
Most of those series have ended.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-04-27, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Some of those have ended but the point's valid: Entourage, Treme, The Pacific, True Blood, Big Love, Eastbound and Down, Hung, In Treatment, Curb Your Enthusiam and then you add the Showtime programs on MC like Californication, Gravity, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Spartacus, Penn & Teller.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 09:35 PM
Veteran

SC doesn't do it for me either. Not one single thing on SC I want to see. TMN and HBO on the other hand, has movies and series I want to see.

Everyone has their opinion on TMN/HBO and SC. It is up to the person to decide what they want to spend their money on.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-07-05, 10:49 PM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
Agreed DSgamby but having mostly, if not all the blockbuster movies from virtually all major Hollywood studios gives TMN a huge edge . Super Channel has exactly 0 blockbuster movies on or coming anytime soon and haven't since they decided to drop 20th Century Fox last year.

Once you go Plasma you will never go back.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 11:00 PM

I like SC for the wide range of series that they offer. I tend to subscribe to SC year-round, and then add in MC/HBO in the fall only to catch up on Entourage, Hung and watch Dexter. Neither of them really have great movies although some of the "unknown" stuff on SC is pretty good.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 01:29 PM

Location: Halifax (Motorola HD DVR DCX3400-M/DCX700M 50" Plasma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofinoguy View Post
Neither of them really have great movies although some of the "unknown" stuff on SC is pretty good.
Your kidding right? Your being sarcastic I assume because TMN has pretty well "ALL" of the theatrical blockbusters from virtually all of the big Hollywood studios on its service. Some of the blockbusters are great and some are just ok but to say TMN doesn't have great movies on is not true at all. Go to there website and browse through their movies and you will see just how many great movies they have on, they have quite a few lol. I have both services and the only thing I watch on Super Channel is the boxing, the mma and the odd movie, mostly horror films but other than that TMN/HBO gets 95% of my viewing.

Once you go Plasma you will never go back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.