Southland - Premiere - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-05, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Southland - Premiere

Anyone else looking forward to this Premiere which is a new police drama based in LA?

It's replacing ER on Thursday Nights at 10pm and the Producer, John Wells, also produced ER and West Wing.

Early reviews indicate it's a notch above all other Police Drama's currently on TV.

First episode is this Thursday at 10pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-06, 12:38 AM

Looking forward to it, I may have to catch it online as I'm not in North America right now.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 06:28 PM

Saw it....good show, I enjoyed it
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 08:09 PM

It was pretty intense, which I liked. But it was overly serious, without much humour in it. And that speech that cop made about "this is the job, this is what we do" near the end -- that was a bit cheesy. I'm undecided if I'll keep watching.

cheers,
supervij

Athena Audition speakers, Harmony 676, Oppo BDP-83, Rogers 8300HDPVR, Sony 55W900A HDTV, SVS sub, Yamaha RXV750 receiver
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 09:59 PM
Veteran

ER was also very serious with little humour.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 10:21 PM

I also enjoyed Southland. Pretty intense. Too bad for all the "BLEEPS" come on. It is 10PM, and kids shouldn't be watching it. Kill the bad word censor. It appears that they plan to release this on DVD, so they are writing the script for a dvd release, and letting the censor play with the bleeper.

One of my favorite TV shows in the past dozen of so years was the CBC series Intelligence, and part of the reason the show was so good was the script was written using language that you would expect to hear in that life style, and line of work. Lets hope Southpoint does well in the ratings and we actually have a good show to watch. Something believable that takes realistic storyllines to the screen. Unlike the garbage the CSI franchise has been pumping out 3 times a week for the past 10 years. The only reason to watch CSI is to laugh at how bad it really is.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 11:55 PM

After seeing the promos, I looked forward to seeing the show as well. Maybe too much, as I was disappointed. Didn't click for me. Yet. Still going to give it a few more weeks to see if it works.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 11:55 PM

You can't swear on network television at all, can you, no matter what time a show airs at?

I also believe that they missed censoring out some words, including the anatomically referenced "A" word. Plus there were other words in their that you normally don't expect to hear on network television that weren't bleeped out. If I were to repeat these words in this thread, I'd probably get an infraction, so that's how serious they were.

This isn't HBO, this is NBC.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-11, 11:56 PM

I was pretty impressed with this. Well written and good drama, I liked how everything tied together. Good Pilot.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-12, 09:46 AM

Good show, I'm looking forward to it developing. One thing that had us wondering was the two times when they asked the new guy if he was a Canadian? I didn't quite get it, but to me it sounded like it was an insult if he was. Did anyone else catch this? It sort of turned my wife off on the show already.

Aquos LC42D64U Yamaha HTR6080 Emotiva XPA-5 Polk CSiA6 RTiA7's RTiA1's Velodyne DLS4000R Mot. 6416 III PS3 Harmony One
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-12, 02:21 PM
Veteran

I thought it was just that he seemed a little quiet / reserved / polite. So of course, one might assume he was Canadian.
I didn't take it to be a huge insult to Ryan Atwood; rather, just some good-natured ribbing.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-12, 05:58 PM

Lol @ Ryan Atwood.
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-12, 10:24 PM

Video seemed jerky and top of heads cut off...seemed like amateur camcorder shooting. Is this artsy? or something. I would need to take gravol to continue to watch it. I guess I'm too old.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-13, 12:38 AM

Quote:
ER was also very serious with little humour.
I found that show really boring too. I tried watching it and gave up after one season out of sheer boredom.

cheers,
supervij

Athena Audition speakers, Harmony 676, Oppo BDP-83, Rogers 8300HDPVR, Sony 55W900A HDTV, SVS sub, Yamaha RXV750 receiver
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 2009-04-13, 07:34 AM
Veteran

Location: Ottawa, ON - Sharp Aquos 52" LCD - Bell 9200, 4x5900, 3x3100, E50 DVD-R, Harmony 880, Garmin C550
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennism3 View Post
Video seemed jerky and top of heads cut off...seemed like amateur camcorder shooting. Is this artsy? or something. I would need to take gravol to continue to watch it. I guess I'm too old.
I think certain shots were done that way intentionally. I was very unimplressed and likely will not continue watching. I think the "Canadian" references were meant as an insult. As for the swearing, IMO, either allow it or don't put it in the show. The "beeping" out is lame.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.