Question about internet access at the public library - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By JamesK

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-02, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Question about internet access at the public library

I recently inquired at my local public library about booking a meeting room, and asked about internet connection. They said they had wireless connection in the meeting rooms, but if I wanted to bring my own 'cables and things', I could get direct wired connection. This was from a message the library left on my voicemail, so I didn't get a chance to ask further.

This made me wonder: what kind of 'cables and things' would I need to get direct access? Wouldn't I need a router for that? And how would that work?

I had asked them about what kind of internet connection they offered because I want to stream a video in the meeting room, and I'm not sure how strong or steady the wireless connection would be.

Thanks to anyone who has any info..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-02, 10:18 PM
Veteran

Most likely you would need Ethernet cable, nothing else.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-02, 11:02 PM
Veteran

Yup, probably an RJ45 ethernet cable though you might want to check your computer and the meeting room first to check connections and cable length. I'd also check the wifi to see if it will work well enough.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-03, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

So as long as there was a plug in connection, I'd only need an ethernet cable, and that would be enough to shake hands and get an IP address?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-03, 08:10 AM
Veteran

Also, there may be firewalls that limit what you can do. In Mississauga, about all you can do is use a browser. Even things like regular email are blocked. As for cables, they may also be referring to using projectors etc. Check things out before your meeting, to see what you need and what works.
Norman_C likes this.

I haven't lost my mind. It's around here...somewhere...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-03, 10:06 PM
Veteran

If showing video is planned, I would download it to the PC and not rely on the library internet connection. Some video streaming services allow this. I would also check to make sure the video is licensed for public performances. Special permission needs to be obtained for most copyrighted works. The library may insist on it since they could be liable for any public performances in their meeting rooms.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 2018-02-05, 05:24 AM
Veteran

They might only have 1 IP address for their public internet access. You would not get your own IP except the local address on their local network.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.