Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

If anybody remembers

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DrkMts 
#1 ·
Back in 2014, one was required to give 30 days notice when cancelling a subscription package. As far as I am now finding out anyway. My question is, was that applicable if one had signed say a 2 year contract? What if one was on a month to month?
Reason I ask is 2 and a half years ago, I did a month to month thing from shaw for internet and cable. Now... I did this in 2 separate apartments in the same building. One for me and one for my girlfriend (she was living with her sister until her sister moved out with her boyfriend). Both accounts were in my name. All the billing info came to me and I took care of all the payments. No problems. 3 months after I started the accounts, my girfriends sister had moved out. I cancelled 1 of the accounts and moved into the apartment with my girl. The billing info had not changed. My cel number had stayed the same for the next year and a half until I had changed cel providers and changed my number. My email address has been the same for about 10 years. Im not hiding from anybody. One can easily find me. To this day, 2 and a half years later, im still paying for the same account that I had originally started.
My problem is that I had gone for a personal line of credit. In sitting down with my financial advisor, she runs my credit and it becomes apparent that ive had an existing bill for 84$ that had gone to collections and had been chipping away at my credit score for that whole time. Score goes from 800+ to a hair over 600. UMMM WOW! Nobody from shaw decides to send me a bill. Call me. Email me. Knock on my door. Toss a note on my windshield. Send me a letter. (haha. trying to toss in some humor even tho im incredibly pissed at this situation).
Now I find this out Saturday and sunday after making a few calls, I at least get the charges nulled. But my credit rating has taken a hit that is most likely going to take a while to get back up.

For some info:June 1/14-new service/ paid bill june 24/paid bill july 14/paid bill aug1/ by aug 30, unreturned equipment bill/sept1 unreturned equipment credit to account and I assume account closed.

Feb 18/2017 I find out that they billed me for Sept 1/2014.
Does anybody think im going to be able to get my credit reinstated? Or should I chalk it up to being screwed over by big business. Cause to me, that's kinda not fair.

See less See more
#2 ·
You've come to the right place, but the news isn't that good. Prior to that CRTC policy, Shaw and most other providers required 30 days notice even for month-to-month billing.

Broadcasting and Telecom Regulatory Policy CRTC 2014-576
Prohibition of 30-day cancellation policies
The Commission determines that 30-day cancellation policies for local voice services, Internet services, and broadcasting distribution services (e.g. cable and satellite television services) will be prohibited as of 23 January 2015.
There are a couple of inconsistencies in your story:
Both accounts were in my name. All the billing info came to me and I took care of all the payments...I cancelled 1 of the accounts and moved into the apartment with my girl. The billing info had not changed.
UMMM WOW! Nobody from shaw decides to send me a bill.
Shaw would have sent the final bill to your old address if you were getting paper bills through the mail (assuming that was your billing address.) Did you make arrangements with the post office or the new tenant to get your mail?

I don't know how many follow-up bills Shaw would send in a situation like that. My guess is a lot of people purposely just walk away from their final bill, so Shaw may not spend a lot of time and effort trying to collect if someone ignores them.

Now I find this out Saturday and sunday after making a few calls, I at least get the charges nulled...Does anybody think im going to be able to get my credit reinstated?
It's probably up to Shaw and it might depend on how they handle the reporting to the 2 credit agencies. If you want to get your credit repaired, you should contact Shaw's billing dept. during business hours and try to get the old bill nullified, rather than just written off on Shaw's books. I'm not sure if that's possible, but it's your best hope. You can point out that you're still a customer on the second account and you've paid your bills regularly. The unpaid bill was a misunderstanding and not an attempt to avoid payment.

If Shaw can't do that, I think there is a procedure for you to contact the 2 credit agencies directly and attach a note to your file explaining the circumstances. It probably won't change your credit score directly, but it might make a difference with any new lenders if they are willing to look past the bad credit score. It all depends how automated and rigid their polices are. It would help if the rest of your credit history is spotless - you've paid all your other bills on time, etc.

#3 ·
all my bills came to me via email. I opted out from the paper billing. I can attach the actual printout of what I had shaw send me while trying to figure out what went on. I work in the alarm industry. my usual saying is "that's it? were done? any other issues?". so that would have been what I said to the customer service rep when I returned the equipment from the 1st account. ive been saying the exact same thing to all the customers ive been dealing with for the last 20 years. I figure if there would have been a late cancelling fee, he should have told me then.

the billing info is the exact same (aside from a changed number. but they have never called me. ever.) for the 2nd account which I still have in my place of residence now.
shaw never sent me even 1 bill after closing the 1st account.
and yes. that was the only thing on my history. im still paying a car loan so that at least helps in rebuilding.

after some information gathering, ive since found out that cel providers, and bills like hydro do nothing to help out credit ratings but will harm your credit rating when something doesn't go right and they don't get their money. would like to see the rules change so that if you don't add to a credit rating, you cant subtract from it.

just frustrating to have my credit rating crapped on for a measley 84$. I woulda paid it just to save the hassle.

I guess at the end of the day, im just going to have to start over. cant fight big business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.