Info On DSL Speed & Distance Experiences - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-25, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Info On DSL Speed & Distance Experiences

In trying to get through the quagmire of incorrect information, "baffle-gab", and outright lies I've been receiving from BellAliant over the past several months, I'm looking for some comparative information from DSL users ONLY! Fiber, cable, wireless, or satellite users need not apply...

I'm looking for two bits of information, specifically:
1) How far are you located from your local CO or remote DSLAM (whichever you're connected directly to)?
2) What's your contracted speed and how close is that to what you actually get most of the time?

BellAliant's trying to tell me they can't provide a connection above 1.5Mbps download to ANYONE more that 2km from the local connection point (DSLAM).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-25, 01:07 PM
Veteran

4+KM (not more than 5), as I believe the route of the cable is between the telephone building (size of a small house),and mine .The cable (at least by my house) was installed in 2003 or so.

My telco ISP does not advertise a contracted/expected speed for DSL, they just call it "High Speed".

I get 4Mbps down, 0.6Mbps up, typically.

Now, they do offer fibre optic, which is 4Mbps without TV, 70Mbps with TV. I say that
because of those rates, I reckon 4 Mbps is likely their default rate for "high speed".
CodyG102 likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-25, 01:26 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Now, they do offer fibre optic, which is 4Mbps without TV, 70Mbps with TV.
Which is just another way of saying they won't provide fibre optic service unless you also buy a TV package. This is against current CRTC policy which mandates that internet service offered to 90% of Canadians is to be a minimum of 50Mbps. It's also likely that the CRTC would be against thie type of forced bundling. I would be filing a complaint with the CRTC.
CodyG102 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-25, 01:30 PM
Veteran

1. Probably around 4 km.
2. I pay for 25/1 and I get 20+/1+
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-25, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
1. Probably around 4 km.
2. I pay for 25/1 and I get 20+/1+
Appreciate your taking the time to reply DSamby, but what kind of service have you got? Those definitely don't look like DSL numbers - and that's what I'm interested in.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-25, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
Now, they do offer fibre optic, which is 4Mbps without TV, 70Mbps with TV. I say that because of those rates, I reckon 4 Mbps is likely their default rate for "high speed".
Thanks for the info classicsat but DSL is my ONLY option here - and unless they can extract another boatload of $$$ from government like the did with BRAND I don't see that changing any time soon...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-25, 05:22 PM
Veteran

@CodyG102 No. it is DSL. I am on TBayTel. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't on DSL.
CodyG102 likes this.

Last edited by DSgamby; 2017-01-25 at 07:16 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-26, 07:24 AM

There's VDSL and ADSL. ADSL is the "classic" DSL and only goes up to 7Mbps if you're really lucky. but packages are pretty much only advertised to 5Mbps. If you have availability higher than advertised 5Mbps, you'd be on VDSL. ADSL packages are also normally advertised as "Bell Internet", as opposed to "Fibe".

Cody's asking about ADSL specifically.

Theoretically, ADSL has a range up to 4'ish km, and drops off rapidly about 2km from the CO. I'm somewhat lucky in that I found the right bell tech to do a little messing with my line, and at a smidge over 5km I can actually get (at the router) just under 5Mbps. But it falls back to 3.5Mbps if there's any noise on the line (which happens semi-regularly when it's wet out). But a modem reboot gets me back to 5. Since my package is 5Mbps, I consider myself lucky enough. I'm still hopeful Cogeco Cable will eventually extend their service the extra couple of km from the end of their line to my house.

Brad.
CodyG102 likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-26, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSgamby View Post
@CodyG102 No. it is DSL. I am on TBayTel. I wouldn't have posted if I wasn't on DSL.
Thanks for clarifying that DSgamby. Based on my knowledge of the technology, TBayTel must be using 'High-bit-rate DSL" because AFAIK that's the only way to get those kind of rates over copper. You're lucky to have a municipally-owned telco, since most of the big telcos aren't doing that - at least not here on the east coast. They seem determined to cripple DSL to shift people over to more expensive Fiber but that's not now (nor ever likely to be) an option where I am.

I'm stuck in a situation where there's NO real competition for BellAliant (the monstrosity created from the merger of the former MT&T, NBTel, Island Tel, and Newfoundland Tel and now fully controlled by Bell) and their defacto monopoly. I've been fighting with them for months in an effort to get a faster package and they're insisting they can't deliver any more than 1.5Mbps (download) to ANY address more than 2km from the DSLAM; I'm at just shy of 3.6km from it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-26, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
I'm somewhat lucky in that I found the right bell tech to do a little messing with my line, and at a smidge over 5km I can actually get (at the router) just under 5Mbps. But it falls back to 3.5Mbps if there's any noise on the line (which happens semi-regularly when it's wet out). But a modem reboot gets me back to 5. Since my package is 5Mbps, I consider myself lucky enough.
This whole "quest" started with a tech visit last summer. I'd been having issues with steadily deteriorating signals - it reached a point where I was having to do modem reboots on a pretty-much daily basis. After a LOT of pointless time talking to "support", I finally got a tech dispatched. The guy who came out found - and fixed - multiple connections with corrosion at the demarc and the box at the end of my driveway where we're connected to the main line (the result of our salt-sea air and poorly sealed connections). After he'd finished, he tested the line and got around 8Mbps at the demarc. I've been trying since to get my package upgraded and getting nothing but a runaround from the (useless) "support" people - and there seems to be no way to 'get around' them...
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-01-26, 02:44 PM
Veteran

@bpsmicro The wireless modem/router is a Muilti DSL one that can do VDSL. I logged into my modem/router and it says it is in VDSL2 mode.

@CodyG102 Your welcome. TBaytel is in competition with Shaw so they had to upgrade the speeds. That is crappy, what is happening to you.
CodyG102 likes this.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-02-01, 06:32 PM
Rookie

Just for reference, I've been a phone/dsl tech for 30+ years and there are a number of things that effect DSL speed but loop length is the biggest. (aside from actual line fault issues)..
A DSLAM is antiquated at best and looses some speed right off, better systems use a single point dial tone source with the DSL in it and ideally that system uses a Broadcom chipset, proven to work best. It also needs to be a DSL2+ system or better a VDSL system but here's some distance info for you.. Expect 20% variation in this based on crappy house wiring, how much if any 22awg is between you and the CO (most will be 24awg all the way, not as good) but assuming 24awg, excellent house wiring and no copper faults..

0-1km from CO, 22meg to 26meg
1-2km from CO, 20+meg
2-3km from CO, 15-20meg
3-4km from CO, 10-15meg
4-5km from CO, 6-12meg
5-6km from CO, 1-6meg
6km+ from CO, total crap shoot if you even connect, SNR will be sub 5db and service unreliable uniess provisioned for a pretty low speed, IE 1meg.

With a decent amount of 22awg cable in your route, add 1km or more to any of those IE 4-5km from CO but 3/4 of the loop is 22awg, 15meg is easy.

Keep in mind loop length can be shorter than the drive distance (IE goes through a right of way) or much longer (IE goes to a x box then back to you))

I've been doing this for years and for a company that allows us to do what we need to do to meet numbers on par with that. DSL is a horrible technology by todays standards but can be reasonably fast if everything is excellent (and that includes no cracked insulators or poor transformers on the Hydro lines too)

Hope that helps! Odds are they're on an old ADSL-H cards, they are prone to noise etc but even on one of those at 2km 8meg is doable. We sell 5M, 10M and 20M but we won't install the 20M over 3.5km nor the 10M over 5KM.
CodyG102 likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-02-02, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

GDMoore, thanks for taking the time to provide a detailed answer. I had a reasonable grasp of the limits of DSL but your post confirms my understanding and consolidates it in one place; hopefully it will provide others in a similar fight to mine with some "ammo" if they come here looking for answers.

My current results are here: "Thank You"s For DSL Help

Short version: I had a senior tech show up here unexpectedly yesterday morning (no advance notice except for a call when he was about 5 minutes out looking for directions to the house - GPS had sent him in the wrong direction, something that happens a LOT in this area) and upgrade the service to what BellAliant calls 'High Speed Ultra' - something I was told only a week earlier by the so-called "support" team (their source supposedly being my area manager) that was categorically impossible.

I'll be monitoring the service closely to see how it performs and I'll make lots of noise if it doesn't. But, at least, it's something.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-02-04, 05:15 PM
Rookie

Keep in mind if the tech couldn't find you, tech support probably had you on a totally different location on their map too so they may have been telling you the truth based on where they believed you are. We get that a lot and it's related to errors in Google Maps. Cust calls in, told they're out of range for DSL, they explain each person either side has it (and this is where we differ) so cust service will send out a site survey.. Usually Google Maps said customer was 5km further down the concession than they actually are. It's worse of course when Google Maps is wrong the other way. Cust service says, yes you can have 10M (based on location via maps) and we get out there and have to explain, sorry, but no you're too far out.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2017-02-05, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

GDMoore at the risk of sounding like I'm defending BellAliant that's the one thing I'm reasonably sure they had RIGHT by the end of this fight (based on the distance from the DSLAM "support" quoted in one of their many B.S. answers). This tech was dispatched out of a different office than normally serves our area (whether due to vacations, workload, or just "who have we got to send" - dispatch is now done from another province AFAIK so it's pretty much become a crap-shoot) and both GPS and Google maps are notoriously inaccurate for this area. I've had similar problems with couriers and delivery drivers getting lost looking for us when using them and having to call for directions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.