Xplornet's new 4G internet - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 150 (permalink) Old 2014-12-31, 07:01 AM

Thanks for sharing the info....

Yes - a lot of people unhappy with getting internet in rural areas.....it's a shame that in 2015 this is still a problem for tons of people in Canada!!

Some third world countries have a better Internet infrastructure.

On a side note I found this info on the Connections Canada Program:

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/028.nsf/eng/h_00587.html

"ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Over the next few years, the Government of Canada will work with Internet service providers (ISP) and other stakeholders across Canada to make high-speed Internet (5 Mbps) available to thousands of homes, some for the first time."

It's setup for ISP's to obtain some of the $305 million the government of Canada is putting towards helping expand Canada Internet in rural areas.

I only came accross this yesterday - it's been out since Oct and ISP's only have until Jan 15, 2015 to apply for some of the money....not much time.

I sent this to Xplornet as well as a few smaller IPS's in my area.....not even sure they know about it as I dont think this was promoted very well.....

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 150 (permalink) Old 2015-01-06, 12:49 PM

CBC Radio News did a piece on the above Digital Canada 150 program:

http://www.cbc.ca/spark/blog/2014/04...al-canada-150/

Audio at the bottom.
post #138 of 150 (permalink) Old 2015-01-07, 10:49 PM

LOL Everytime I call to complain it is slow. Mysteriously my internet is faster for 2 weeks. Then slows down again.

I swear they turn knobs everytime you call, make you happy then add traffic mgmt to slow you down a little later. Most people won't bother calling in.

I wasn't getting more than 1-2meg consistently so I called and next day I'm getting 10. But they said they didn't do anything.

My signal apparently dropped from 34-20 ....

post #139 of 150 (permalink) Old 2015-01-12, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing View Post
I swear they turn knobs everytime you call, make you happy then add traffic mgmt to slow you down a little later. Most people won't bother calling in.
Considering the amount of knobs in the business, this isn't surprising.
post #140 of 150 (permalink) Old 2015-01-12, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianWeasel View Post
Considering the amount of knobs in the business, this isn't surprising.
LOL....
post #141 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-03-12, 02:06 PM
Rookie

SCAM!! SCAM!! RUN!! 30 days after signing up, my 4G speeds dropped to unusable. Speeds down of .0018, which means I can't receive emails or load a web page. Dial up is actually faster and more dependable. They openly admit that they are overselling their signal and the towers are congested. They tell you they are working on it and have no known date when it will be fixed but months later they are still telling you the same thing. To make matters worse, when you ask to cancel the service they will refuse to allow it. They will tell you that you signed a contract guaranteeing that you will pay for the year even if they don't provide you with any internet service. Check the web for reviews, you will find hundreds telling you exactly the same thing. Don't believe the promotions and don't believe that your tower will be the one that isn't oversold, you'll only get good speed for the first 30 days. This is a disreputable company that should be put out of business.
post #142 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-03-13, 10:26 AM
Rookie

I needed to cancel Xplornet because we sold our house, and it was impossible to contact them by phone - they just put you on hold forever when you tell them you want to cancel your service. Not wanting to play games with them I sent them a registered letter with a "Demand to cancel service" - and they did. The registered letter method does work.

While we had Xplornet is was OK for email and web browsing but not OK for VOIP. Living in the city now, I can tell you internet service is vastly superior at half the price. Just another penalty for living in a rural area.
post #143 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 02:51 AM

Not to play devil's advocate, because I'm seeing a lot of posts from other people hating Xplornet, but I've had Xplornet's 4G Fixed Wireless service for a little over 2 years now, and I haven't really had many issues with it. Being in a rural area, my options for high speed internet are limited. No cable, DSL or fiber available, and satellite's not viable for video gaming due to the high amount of latency, so fixed wireless is really my only option.

Previously to having Xplornet's fixed wireless service, I used to be signed up with Nexicom's fixed wireless, and that was much worse. With Nexicom, I was paying for 3 MBPS download speed but I was almost always getting only 1.5 MBPS. Also, during the night, the speed would often drop below 1 MBPS (Nexicom continually blamed this on network congestion), and to boot, whenever there was any kind of freezing rain, my internet would go out entirely.

When I switched to Xplornet's fixed wireless at the beginning of 2014, the first noticeable upgrade was the speed. I was paying for 5 MBPS and getting at least 3.5 or more on a consistent basis, even during peak traffic hours. Also, during freezing rain, my internet would still work, albeit a little slower, around the 2.5 MBPS mark. But at least it didn't go out completely like when Nexicom's exterior modem was frozen solid.

I upgraded to their 10 MBPS package about a year ago and just recently I had them put my name down on their list to upgrade to the 25 MBPS package as soon as it's available in my area. Overall, I don't really have much to complain about the service. My internet has gone out much less than when I was with Nexicom, and my speed is much higher (even today, Nexicom's top wireless speed is still 10 MBPS and according to their coverage map, they still have a ton of towers limited to the 3 MBPS speed).

My only gripe with Xplornet is about their "fair-use traffic management policy", which as you may or may not know, basically says that whenever there's a large amount of network congestion, the top 10% of users in that part of the network who are using the most bandwidth, have their speeds cut in half (supposedly their system re-evaluates these users every 15 minutes). It's annoying because, for example, if you're paying for 10 MBPS and you're a heavy internet user, you're essentially being forced down to only 5 MBPS (though I would assume network congestion is minimal during the post-midnight hours, but for the rest of the day it's probably a continuous battle).

Other than that though, I can't really complain about Xplornet's service. Eventually when I can get their 25 MBPS upgrade, then it really won't matter, because even if it gets cut down to 12.5 MBPS during peak hours, that's more than fast enough for what I need. I wish I could get cable or fiber here, since the speeds are a lot faster and you actually get the speed you're paying for on a consistent basis, rather than dealing with this network congestion nonsense, but I guess that's the price I pay for not living in the city.

Maybe in the future when there are more competitors out here, it'll benefit the rest of us rural citizens...
post #144 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Not to play devil's advocate, because I'm seeing a lot of posts from other people hating Xplornet, but I've had Xplornet's 4G Fixed Wireless service for a little over 2 years now, and I haven't really had many issues with it.
Do you have "Fixed Wireless", which is the 3.5GHz band that replaced the old 900MHz band, or are you on the newer LTE-based system. It's the latter that people are complaining about right now.

I was on the 3.5GHz fixed wireless for a while too. I was fairly far from the tower, so on my 10Mbps plan I pretty much never got over 4Mbps. But I can say that it was a very consistent 4. I have a monitor that shows me what my true throughput is constantly, and when downloading large distros, the graph was a pretty flat line. Minimal outages, and when there were they were fairly short. It was just expensive.

I switched to DSL, and while I'm on a 5/1 plan, I'm far enough from the CO that I only get 4.5Mbps, again, very consistent. The difference is I'm getting a slightly faster throughput for half the price.

When the new LTE system came available, I almost jumped. But Xplornet doesn't offer static IPs on that system, which is a show-stopper for me. And, of course, since then as more people convert to LTE, I'm seeing the horror stories of inconsistent speeds.

You mention upgrading from your 10Mbps plan, presumably on the older fixed wireless, to a 25Mbps plan, which would be on LTE. You may find yourself joining the chorus. You may want to consider holding out on the old system, and letting others convert to LTE. Then your own speeds may stabilize as there's (hopefully) less congestion on your system.

Brad.
post #145 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 10:23 AM

@DialgaChampion What's your ping like when gaming on a wireless Internet service compared to Satellite Internet service?

Just trying to remove that damn setup progress bar.
post #146 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-03-15, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
Do you have "Fixed Wireless", which is the 3.5GHz band that replaced the old 900MHz band, or are you on the newer LTE-based system. It's the latter that people are complaining about right now.
I'm not sure. Is there a way for me to check? I don't see anything on the MyXplornet account that tells me the band. All I can say is that on my old bills from 2014, the plan I had originally was called "EORN Share" and now I'm on the "XPLORE10" plan. But I've had the same modem equipment on my roof the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
You mention upgrading from your 10Mbps plan, presumably on the older fixed wireless, to a 25Mbps plan, which would be on LTE. You may find yourself joining the chorus. You may want to consider holding out on the old system, and letting others convert to LTE. Then your own speeds may stabilize as there's (hopefully) less congestion on your system.
If that's the case, and I do have the older fixed wireless system, I wonder what would be the cause as to why their new LTE wireless system is having issues. Is it the technology? Is it their network for the LTE? And what are people specifically complaining about the LTE -- that they're not getting the 25 MBPS speed? (Because with the recent $4 rate increase this month, even if I get half of that new speed, it still more than justifies spending another $6 to change plans -- $73.99 for up to 10 MBPS, versus $79.99 for up to 25 MBPS.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelman
What's your ping like when gaming on a wireless Internet service compared to Satellite Internet service?
The funny part is, I actually had a lower ping when I was with Nexicom (maybe their wireless tower was closer than Xplornet's tower?). With Nexicom, I constantly had pings in the 30-40 ms range. Ever since I switched to Xplornet, my ping went up to around 60-70 ms, but it's still not a problem for online multiplayer gaming. I've played Star Trek Online, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Mario Kart 8 on my Wii U, Zelda Triforce Heroes on my 3DS... in all cases, I've never had a problem with lag, and when I did have a problem, it was always with the other player's internet connection and not mine (i.e. once I kicked the laggy player out and another random person with an actually good internet connection joined, the lag was completely gone). I've had Skype voice and video calls with 4 other people simultaneously, and no issue at all. I've even screen-shared during those calls and the other participants didn't have any issues with my video lagging.

I've never had satellite internet, but back in 2009 before I had any form of high-speed internet and I was looking at the various options, I was told by other people that satellite was horrible for gaming, because the ping/latency is too high. I don't know if the satellite technology has drastically changed over the last 7 years, but in theory, it should still be bad for gaming, because sending a signal back-and-forth from a dish to a satellite in orbit is a much longer distance than sending it to a wireless tower that's 30-40 km away.

Also, I just did a speed test a few minutes ago. 9.70 MBPS download, 0.96 MBPS upload, 63 ms ping.
post #147 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-06-08, 01:24 AM

So I upgraded to Xplornet's new 25 MBPS LTE platform.

Check this out. Just ran a speed test right now. 24.22 MBPS download, 0.83 MBPS upload, 20 ms ping

Initially, I was worried the installer wouldn't be able to get the LTE signal, since I'm in a rural area, and when I called tech support a week ago, they told me there were a lot of dead zones around me, with only 1 tower here having been upgraded with the LTE panels. But fortunately the installer was able to get a very strong signal when he installed the modem equipment. Over the course of 2 and 1/2 years with Xplornet, I've gone from 5 MBPS to 10 MBPS to now 25 MBPS. So I'm happy!
post #148 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-06-09, 07:45 AM

Glad to hear - What town?

Cheers
post #149 of 150 (permalink) Old 2016-06-10, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1 View Post
Glad to hear - What town?
Hastings. And the tower I'm connected to right now is the Roseneath one, which is apparently the only one in this area that has the upgraded 25 MBPS LTE Panels on it. All the other Xplornet towers around here still have the older 10 MBPS Wi-max system, and as usual, the techs have no timelines on when those will be upgraded as well.
post #150 of 150 (permalink) Old 2017-09-12, 05:15 PM

I'm in eastern Ontario near Smiths falls. I get a flier from xplornet weekly and I see lots of antennae in the area. The last time I called them, they said "You're better off staying with your 5/.6 dsl service". Anybody have any real world experience in this area?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.