High Speed Internet Smackdown: Rogers vs Teksavvy - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 07:10 PM

Quote:
The article under discussion is not about Netflix. It's not about OTA. It's not about Voip. It's not about various other providers that may be less expensive than either of the providers in the article. I don't disagree with many of the comments about other providers, however, the article in question is about Teksavvy vs. Rogers internet and all the people who mention other providers or "what they do" are simply off-topic.
You actually forgot to underline one very important part. It should actually be:
The article under discussion is not about Netflix. It's not about OTA. It's not about Voip. It's not about various other providers that may be less expensive than either of the providers in the article. I don't disagree with many of the comments about other providers, however, the article in question is about Teksavvy vs. Rogers internet and all the people who mention other providers or "what they do" are simply off-topic.

See the difference? To suggest the article is somehow inaccurate because it doesn't take into account bundling is ridiculous. It's comparing one service to another. That's it. I could also say the article doesn't take into account that, with teksavvy, you get get a dollar off your bill every time you refer someone to them.

The fact is even when I was on the rogers bundle I was paying $10 more than I am now. Not a huge difference, but when you compare it to what I am getting now for my money, it's huge. To me it's silly to do the annual haggle for discounts with Rogers, when I can get more for less with some other company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 11:16 PM

Wink I made a deal with the Devil.

This is all very confusing. Rogers offers special deals through its area representatives that are often not offered through the call centre.

New Rogers subscribers often get some sweet deals. It's often worth cancelling any Rogers service once your fees are raised, and then just wait around for the new subscriber offers to be mailed or delivered to your door. Negotiating is easier that way.

Do you want the Rogers Digital basic SD TV service for about $3 more (including taxes and hidden fees) than what Netflix charges for its streaming service? No problem. Just keep reading the Rogers handouts until Rogers get desperate enough to offer it to you as a new or returning subscriber, as is the case right now. Rogers got me hooked on Digital TV, but not on anything else.

Now that I'm a Rogers Cable TV subscriber once again for the year (I would have bet you a million bucks that this would never have happened to me again), I suppose I will soon be offered even better bundling deals (than the current ones), that I will have to turn down. I'm too afraid that I will become a chair potato, streaming YouTube videos from my home, instead of streaming them from my local library (for free), once a month for only a few hours.

I don't see how I would ever become a standalone Rogers Internet subscriber, but if they offer me Unlimited Hi Speed Internet service for only $12.95 a month (including the modem) for a full year (after I cancel my cable next year), then I'll give it a whirl.
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Quote:
almost no-one would consider Rogers internet without a package.
I did and I don't really believe I am that unique.

(although my wife does say that there is not one else like me. then she curses so I'm not sure what that means)
post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 09:05 AM
Veteran

The other thing to consider is that some people may have some services paid by their employer - wireless phone and internet for example. Therefore they may not be able to bundle if those service are centrally billed to the company.
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-07-25, 01:01 PM

Comparison chart

I have made up an Excel comparison chart of Internet rates in ON for Bell, Rogers, and TekSavvy, however I have a few blank spots. It is in my public album labelled ISP-rates. If you have any info to help fill in the blanks, it would be appreciated. Regarding the album though, I am not sure how to display it larger or to post the pdf version instead.
TIA
Paul

Windows XP - MCE, SBGH, CM-0068
Lawrence Heights, North York, ON
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 12:53 PM

Angry Price vs Speed

You can compare price of Rogers & TSI Cable Internet, what about Speed & Congestion. Few POI on TSI goes through Congestion in Peak Times and as a reseller they are fully dependant on Rogers to increase their capacity which takes months.
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 2011-07-30, 04:24 PM
Rookie

Angry Teksavvy as unscrupulous as Rogers

Another issue to consider in comparing these two inernet service providers in customer service. I firmly believe, as most people I know do, that these companies use unscrupulous tactics to gain additional revenue from customers. As a matter of principal I decided not to go with Rogers directly when setting up a new internet service.

However, Teksavvy proved to be immensely incompetent, failed to ge my service up and running after two rounds of trouble shooting, and then refused to provide me wih a full refund. In fact they tricked me into cancelling after initially agreeing to give me a refund, but then left a message on my phone laer o say they changed heir minds about the refund. Unbelievable! They admitted to multiple errors but refused to take full responsibility. Sadly, despite the possibility of savings, they are just like Rogers in matters of customer service.

Tags
high speed internet , ontario , rogers , teksavvy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.