Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Pace RNG200N HD PVR Owners discussion thread

437K views 654 replies 137 participants last post by  Dr.Dave 
#1 ·
So, i trade in in my perfectly fine moto DVR, only complaint was I wanted a bigger HD and the expandability of the the new Pace models. Off to Oakville place I go and they exchange the moto for a shiny sleek black Pace RNG200n.

Well to make a long story short i am on my 3rd one and it still doesn't work!!

Phone tech has been no help, they are baffled. The display loops from "boot" to "d590" to "oo6" the remote will not function at all. I have checked all cables, even installed a new Pace hd box in the same location, works perfect! Tech claims that sometimes a test signal comes back positive sometimes negative. Funny though the pace plain HD box works perfect in the same location, and the previous moto DVR worked flawlessly. Another observation is that the optical audio ports that usually glows red on my other equipment and the new pace HD box never lights up on all 3 of these boxes. not sure what that means.

Also this model is not listed on the pace website, at least were I am looking. Tech wants to send someone to the house in a week.

I Probably should have left things alone and waited for the new stuff to get the bugs out.

Any suggestions out there??

See less See more
#2 ·
You got an RNG200N?

I was under the impression those were only being distributed in Quebec and that it would be the Pace TDC788D in Ontario.

Anyways, not sure what to recommend though, considering it's been the same thing with three units.

Edit: Just confirmed with a tech that no similar issues have been reported with this box yet.

I'll try to pick up an RNG200N tomorrow and see how it works.

#3 ·
well , yes I'm on my 3rd unit, picked the first 2 up at Oakville Place, The last 1 at Burlington Mall. Still no luck. These units seem to be a mystery I cant find any specs on them. I going to hold onto this last one and call in tomorrow for help. I doubt if they will know anything different so I will book a service call.

#5 ·
Yes I have that exact guide. It's very frustrating because I traded in a good moto with a lot of HD concerts I had on it. The whole point was to start fresh and be able to build a huge library. If these units don't work I have to go back to a moto that will really suck.

#6 ·
Just picked up an RNG200N from Oakville Place. It booted up just fine.

It did display "boot" and then "oob" (not oo6, as in "out-of-band") for a few seconds, and then went on to download the latest software.

Haven't activated yet as it's still downloading.

If possible, try connecting it right to the main cable line coming into the house, before any splitters.

#10 ·
no luck , I have tried in 3 different locations including the main right from the road. I guess I will have to book a service call... great. must be something wrong with the signal, strange that every other unit works. Im up in north Burlington so maybe with all the local construction there be be a slight problem, who knows this is way past me.

what are the specs on this machine, does it have a 500 gig HD? it must be a laptop HD because you cant see a 3.5 " HD through the top!

#12 ·
Pace Dallas RNG200N HD PVR Discussion Thread

Might as well start up an official thread for this new box, as it seems to be replacing the TDC777D already.

I picked one up earlier today; here are my observations:
- It has a 500GB hard drive (Western Digital AV-25 2.5")
- Diagnostics screen lists 363hrs of SD recording space or 99hrs of HD
- S/W: 78.73 A28p0-4.1005.r-8
- F/W: 19.82
- 128MB of SDRAM and 64MB of Flash ROM
- It's much smaller than the TDC777D or previous Motos. It's not much bigger than the Moto DCX700.
- Seems to be just as cool and quiet as the TDC777D
- eSATA is enabled
- It uses an external 40W power brick

When I brought in my TDC777D to exchange it for this box, the rep I spoke with was well aware of the "HDD Full" issue and said they were accepting all exchanges and issuing the RNG200N as replacements.

#20 ·
OOOH, maybe finally I can exchange the 777D for this new unit. Biggest hurdle is convincing my wife to forego her saved programs and start fresh. It took a few weeks from first Pace install last June before the disk full screen of death showed up, then began popping up about once every 8 or 9 days. Is this new Pace still too new to pass with flying colours? sailmaker

#21 ·
My 6208 finally died last night, so I went down to the Burlington store this morning determined to pick up an RNG200N. They had them, but the girl at the counter strongly discouraged me from getting one, said people are having trouble activating them, and more than likely I would too. "I have a stack of them that have been returned". I assume it's the same issue jimmycooper is having. I walked out with a 6416 instead. I really hope they're able to get this issue resolved, because the RNG200N looks like a nice little box compared to the old Motorola beasts.

#22 ·
Hey jimmycooper,

Did you ever have problems accessing VOD material? If your DCT isn't locking on and downloading the firmware, the OOB SNR may be weak. Hopefully the technician will be able to fix it for you tomorrow.

If you've swapped the DCT 3 times and still come up with the same issue, it's gotta be the IB/OOB.

#27 ·
I was just thinking that the other day...

- Brand new 500GB PVR (plenty of space to be a central PVR)
- Brand new HD receivers

Maybe Cogeco is planning something? Who knows, but it would be nice.

@jpaik: It would have to be enabled with new firmware anyways.

Edit: Bingo! The RNG200N is up on Pace's website finally http://www.pace.com/global/products-capabilities/products/rng200n/

"fully integrated MoCA 1.1 for home content sharing and Multiroom DVR functionality"

+1 Hope :D

Edit 2: Bah! The DC550D is up as well http://www.pace.com/global/products-capabilities/products/dc550d/

No MoCA support.

-1 Hope :(

#91 ·
For a quick test I plugged in the RNG200N to the network.

Appears to have a DHCP server (IP range 192.168.100.xxx) once I placed a laptop in that range I was able to hit a logon screen for the Unit. 5 mins of Google FU and I wasn't able to figure out a user/password combo that might work.

Very curious what's behind that login page.